The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1
Driveout02

Why would this happen? Used Ruger semi..

I just recently bought a Ruger P97DC. It's functioned reasonably well so far, no jams, but... the first time I took it to the range, I shot through 50 rounds (very quickly), and one of the rounds (in the middle of a 7 shot mag) wouldn't fire, and the hammer was down, instead of up (in single action). It was brand new, FMJ Remington ammo. Assuming it was still in the chamber, I pulled the hammer back with my thumb and fired again, nothing happened. I thought that even though the slide had cycled, maybe it didn't catch the next round, and the chamber was empty. SO, I racked the slide, expecting the next round to move into place, and to my surprise, there was a round in there, with no marks on the primer. This occured in my first or second mag, and I shot through 5 or so more (mags), after that, without a problem. What would cause this? I'm a little concerned. I bought the gun used, and I have 3 weeks or so to take it back if there is a problem. Assuming someone out there knows what is wrong in this scenario, does that person think I should take the gun back, or pay to have it fixed (i.e. is it a cheap fix?). I am a little over my head here, so I appreciate any help you could offer.
Thanks!
~Jake.
Old January 25, 2007, 05:17 AM   #2
mete

An inertia firing pin doesn't take much to be stopped or slowed enough to ignite the primer. As a used gun you should have cleaned it thoroughly including removing firing pin and spring and extractor and spring .These parts should be cleaned [and the holes] and inspected.
Old January 26, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is an odd one. Other than what Mete said, or maybe as an extension, the only suggestion I can make is the possibility of a blanked (pierced) primer with the little disc blocking the firing pin hole and then being pushed out on a subsequent firing.

Jim
Old January 28, 2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Driveout02

I called the guy I bought it from, says it was probably the ammo, but I'm not so sure as it was brand new Remington green box stuff. I know it's possible, but..
If I were to take apart the firing pin housing to clean it, etc. , how would I do this without effing something up? Is there a how-to for semi-autos, or more specifically Rugers out there on the web? Thanks for all your input folks!
~Jake.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Jake,
If I were you, I'd take it back before doing any more disassembling beyond field stripping. If your gun is under "warranty" with the dealer, have him check it out. Most reputable dealers will thoroughly clean guns before selling them. Your second choice, if you don't want to do the job yourself, is have a competent gunsmith look at it for you. Most don't charge an arm and a leg. Third, send it to Ruger. They will stand behind their product. Service after the sale is outstanding.
Just don't freak out over the misfire. One of these choices should solve your problem.
Hope this helps.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 31, 2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Driveout02

yeah, but..

I appreciate all your replys so far!!
But, with that being said:

First of all, I did find out that it wasn't used (didn't even realize that!).

How long does it take to send to Ruger, have them take a look at it, and have it sent back? If it's 2 months, I'm gonna be pissed (it doesn't seem right that so many gun purchasers put up with this.. shouldn't we expect a fully functioning product the day we buy it.. if it doesn't work properly, why are they selling it this way? I buy guitars, and if manufacturers sold guitars without truss rod adjustments, and decent setups, buyers wouldn't buy them..BECAUSE THEY'D BE USELESS). For the record, I heard that Ruger can be pretty good about their turnaround time, I'm just venting about handgun quality control in general. Sorry. I just think we put up with a lot of [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] for unknown reasons.

If I have a smith take a look at the firing pin situation, will it void any warranties Ruger has in place?

Thanks for all your replys and help. You folks have a nice day!
~Jake.
Old February 1, 2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I bet you'd have your gun back from the time it left your door to being back in your hands, it would be about 2 weeks, give or take a few days. Four days worth of shipping, weekend days in there too... and actual work on the gun. This is purely speculation. They have been known to resolve issues fast. Plus, if it's new, I'd DEFINITELY send it to Ruger. I can understand your frustration, but remember: We are humans, and humans make mistakes. Give them a chance to fix your gun. They are well meaning people. Let us know how it turns out.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 1, 2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Gbro

Had the same problem with my P97DC;
It happened during a defensive pistol match and the hammer just followed the slide, so i tried manually cocking it and it worked for a short time, then i found that the hammer would fall by just giving the gun a thump to just about any area on the pistol(the gun didn't fire when hammer dropped from thump). I called Ruger and they told me to send it in just as it is. Not cleaned. The gun was back in 4 weeks and work again. I just can't say "Works fine" as the gun is so darn hard to shoot after using a 1911 for so long. The takeup of the trigger when its in battery is just to long a pull.

You should call Ruger before sending it in, as they will repair any of their guns (my repair was free).
Product Service - Prescott, AZ — Service inquires for Pistols and Police Carbines
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Product Service Department
200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301

Telephone: 928-778-6555 / Fax: 928-778-6633
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)