The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 27, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
BerdanSS

recomend me a rimfire scope for less than $125

Going to be mounted on a suppressor ready bolt action HBAR Savage MKII. It's a .22LR and is going to just be used for varmit control around the barn, and as a range/fungun. Really the only thing I'm dead set on wanting is it must have finger adjustable windage/elevation knobs.

Since it's going on a rimfire, I don't need a Schmdit & Bender or nightforce Just something decent with clear glass that will hold a zero. Theres so many brands that have popped up I've never heard of I don't really even know where to start looking.

I had a knock off colt long claw made by NC Star one time, and was SHOCKED by the clarity and quality for the $49 I gave for it. It held zero like a rock too. And then I bought one of their AR flat top mount compact scopes a few years later. And was again SHOCKED.....by what a complete piece or caaarrripe it was compared to the wonderful little colt style one I already had.

Any suggestions? Approximate power is something at least into the teens on magnification, and at least 36 objective. 1: or 30mm tube doesn't matter
Old January 27, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2
jmhyer

I've been very pleased with the Simmons 22 Mag on my Model 60.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:46 AM   #3
BerdanSS

Im going to look at one of those today. The LGS has one in stock. What about FM scopes? I've never heard of them but saw one last night in a small shop while I was picking up some more .22LR.
Old January 28, 2014, 10:43 AM   #4
BerdanSS

I've also been looking at another scope that I've never seen before either. Nikko Stirling Target Master? They sell them at a local sporting good store. They seem (just handling one) very well made, the one in question is like a 5-20x50 mil-dot with side focus. They sell for $179.99, but I have a $60 gift card for that store that's been in my wallet for a Loooonng time un used.

anyone ever heard of these?

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:34 AM   #5
ocharry

hi Berdan,,,

I have a couple ,,,now of the pentax game seeker scopes on my 1022s

they are out standing,,,mine are 6-24-50 with a 30mm tube,,,i gave $140 for them on ebay,,they were on sale at one of the camera places,,adoroma or something like that,,1/8 min. ext. adjustments,,,side focus,,,,i also have been seeing one of these in a 4-16-50,,,been seeing that one for $134,,,i have another 1022 that has a bsa on it that I like but these pentax scopes are soooo much better so it is gona get changed out

I have always been a leupold fan,,and I have several of those too,,,these pentax scopes I would park right next to them

you should check them out,,you will not be sorry

my .02

ocharry
Old February 4, 2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Bigfatts

The Meuller APV is a quality scope at a good price.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:38 AM   #7
surveyor

I'm in the same boat, but it is a canoe instead of a kayak..

I had a bsa 3x9x40 for a year, on my savage and wanted a little more magnification..
I really did not have any issues other than that..

I did not do a box test on it, so I can't tell you if it tracks like a VX-3, or higher..
or how close the graduations are on the turrets for drop as I only shot at 50 yards..

so I picked up 2 bsa 6x18x40's(ao) for 80 bux each..
the one on the savage got replaced, and not shot yet..
other is on a mig 22

and yes I did see the reviews on the meuller's,vortex, simmons, etc..
I have a mueller on my 308 (not apv though), no issues with it, and pleased..

as the rifle evolves, the scope may or may not stay on it, but it can be rotated to something else, or parted with if I'm not happy.

am I trying to compare it to a higher end scope..no..
just looking for something usable.

at this point, range will be 40-100 yards..
Old February 13, 2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Dc777

The " cheap " scopes that I own are Simmons. I've always been pleased with them for the price.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old February 14, 2014, 12:57 AM   #9
1stmar

Got to agree on Simmons. I have a 6x20x50 I got at midway for $119 and it is excellent, clear, bright, reliable and click adjustments are right on. Holds zero perfectly atop my 22-250.