The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2002, 07:44 PM   #1
djm

308 reloading

I reading the Speer reloading Manual I noticed that they list loads for gas operated semi-automatic match rifles, My question is I have and AR-10t and the only bullet weights listed were 168gr with certain powders to match the pressure curves of the operating system I was wondering if you found a load for a lighter bullet using the same powder would it be safe to use in my gun?

Thanks
Old September 28, 2002, 07:10 AM   #2
Bud Helms

"... if you found a load for a lighter bullet using the same powder would it be safe to use in my gun? "

A max load in your rifle for a 150 gr bullet can cause problems if you use the same powder "charge" behind a 180 gr bullet. The type of powder may be safe, but as a rule the specific powder weight needs to be reduced as the bullet weight goes up.

All other factors remaining unchanged, if you have a safe load and the only change you make is a lighter bullet (same bullet shape, etc.), then the answer is yes, it would be safe. Not the other way around.
Old September 28, 2002, 08:20 AM   #3
Pampers

M14?

They're telling you what to use in an M14 for NRA Highpower competition using the most popular 168 gr. bullet.

Check out the Accurate Arms manual which has a whole section on reloading the M1/M14?M1A for Highpower (Across the Course), Long Range (1,000 yds.), and Palma (155 gr. Palma Bullet). Notice the burning rates of the powders recommended. Now check out other manuals for loads using powders of similar burning rates. As a general rule, no powder SLOWER than 4064 should be used for risk of overdriving the gas system. What your worrying about is gas port pressure. Slower powders give higher port pressures and can overdrive the system.

You are not limited to one bullet weight, but you are probably limited to bullets of 190 gr or less due to overall length considerations. AND, heavier bullets are harder to drive fast due to port pressure considerations.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old September 30, 2002, 08:44 PM   #4
djm

I guess I should have ask the question differently I want to use 125gr Nosler ballistic tips bullets when my wife shoots it for less recoil. In their manuals they don’t mention anything about using any of the loads in a gas gun and I don’t want to damage any one or my rifle using a powder of the wrong burn rate. I plan to just shoot 168gr but was looking for something litter for the wife.

Thanks
Old October 1, 2002, 07:34 AM   #5
Pampers

Hogdon Manual

Recomends Varget, BL-C(2), H335, H4895, H322, and H4198 for the 125 gr bullet. I'd try Varget or H4895 and start on the low end.

IMR 4895 should work too, as would Alliant Reloader #7, or Winchester 748.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 1, 2002, 08:50 AM   #6
Steve Smith

FYI, Due to the design of the AR type gas system, it is a little more lenient than piston actuated gas guns. The AR type system can take more than the M14 because excess pressure will have somewhere to go, and an op rod isn't transferring the force.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member