The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
SRE

GunRack Rifle issues

Ok so I know some of you are going to think this is an absurd topic but I have had my old Iver Johnson .410 Bore single shot rifle sitting in the gunrack of my house for long long time and I swear I noticed a crown developing in the barrel when I was shooting it this past weekend... like you can't tell the barrel is bent slightly by looking at it, but when you shoulder it something just looked off to me.

Can anyone shed some light on weather it is bad to keep long rifles in a wall mounted gunrack for years?? The rack holds it at the rear of the stock and about 4 inches in from the muzzle, only in those two places. Can this be? Or is it just another example of my OCD?

Thanks!
Old February 21, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
243winxb

The factory at times does straighten rifle barrels. Brass will try to return to its former state. Steel i don't know. I have seen old muzzle loading shotguns where the barrel is curved upwards.