The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 29, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
lwestatbus

Can You Horizontal Carry Full Size 1911 in a Shoulder Rig

The title pretty much says it all except for my size. I'm 5'10 and about 170 lbs and wear a size 44 jacket. Can someone my size carry a full sized 1911 (5" barrel) in a horizontal shoulder holster without printing?
Old January 30, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Captain Nash Bridges....

Actor Don Johnson used a Galco Miami Classic for his prop 1911a1 .38super on the hit CBS tv series; Nash Bridges, www.imfdb.org .
Johnson also wore Ted Blocker & Galco shoulder rigs for his big Bren 10 10mm & S&W 4506/645 .45acp pistols on the NBC crime drama; Miami Vice.
Don Johnson is around 5'09"/5'10".
I always thought the Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster was smart to use on Miami Vice because "Sonny" or anyone else could bend over or kneel down w/o the large pistol printing or being seen clearly.
I carried a large 96D .40S&W in a left hand Aker Comfort Flex shoulder rig for about 2 years in the late 1990s. It worked very well & I had no problems.
I'd look into a Galco Miami Classic II in brown leather or a Kirkpatrick Leather shoulder holster. They store the extra mags at an angle & allow the belt line to have more room. I liked the angle style carry & comfort of the Aker model too.

ClydeFrog
www.usgalco.com www.deltaforce.com www.kirkpatrickleather.com