The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
dsk

Help needed to ID 1860 Army replica

I am curious if anyone can tell me a little about an 1860 Army replica revolver I just inherited from my father. It is marked "CENTENNIAL 1960 New Model Army". It has what appears to be import or proof stamps on it, "Made in Belgium" on the heel of the grip, and on the frame a strange copy/parody of Colt's prancing horse. Instead it looks like a centaur holding a rifle. I know my dad bought it back in the late 60's or early 70's but can't find any information about it. Aside from the markings it looks like a plain vanilla Colt 1860 Army and is in excellent shape with a wood display box, powder flask, and bullet mould. Anybody familiar with these?
Old March 24, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Yup!

DSK,

It is indeed a Belgian manufactured replica Colt. It was manufactured by a company (FAUL) owned by the Hanquet family which goes back a long way in Belgian firearms manufacture. A surviving member of the family and the last president of FAUL just joined the "Friends of the Centaure" (FROC) group. (The pistol is a Centaure). You can find the web site at http://www.1960nma.org/. It might be a good idea to register the weapon at that web site. Be prepared to post photos.

Those folks are very knowledgable about the history and peculiarities of that specific pistol. Several folks who post on this forum also post on that one. (Myself included)

I have Serial Number 952. I just got it back from a gunsmith who hooked me up on the pistol.

Your question will generate a lot of responses (I predict).

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 24, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
madcratebuilder

What Doc said. Nice revolvers. You have mail.
Old March 24, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
dsk

Thanks a lot for the responses. My dad bought it new in 1971, but I always remember him complaining that he wished he had saved up the money for a "real" Colt 1860 instead. I'm surprised to learn he actually had something worth hanging on to. He would be pleasantly surprised as well, but sadly it's now too late to tell him.

I got in touch with the folks on 1960nma.org and will give them some info on this revolver. I'll share some pics here too when I get a chance. Thanks again!
Old March 24, 2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Smokin_Gun

Welcome to the Club of Centaure owners DSK... what's the serial number on yours? I have SN767, & SN925...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 24, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
dsk

I don't have it with me, but it's something like 99xx. I'm a total n00bi when it comes to cap n' ball revolvers, so now I need to figure out how to get this sucker fired up. Inside the wood case is a flask loaded with blackpowder of unknown vintage, so I'm not sure if it's safe to use. There are also a few lead balls rolling around inside and a tin of #11 caps. I only remember taking it to the range once with my father, back when I was maybe 14 or so. All I remember is my dad taking what felt like 20 minutes trying to load the thing. After just two cylinders full, a bunch of blue smoke and a still-virgin target we put it away and moved on to something a bit faster to load.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:55 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Jus' remember this, Clean, dry, powder, ball, caps...fire in the hole! In that order :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 25, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Bootsie

DSK: just complete the data sheet (download from www.1960nma.org) and mail it with a couple of pics to [email protected]. I'll let you have all I know about your Centaure which was made ca. 1970.
I notice you already made the acquaintance of a couple of FROCSs here. I am sure they will gladly provide hinds regarding shooting & cleaning of your rare pistol. Incidentally the recommended ball size is .451
Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf
FROCS #2
Old March 25, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
dsk

Thanks LJW. I had posted this same subject on several forums hoping to find somebody who knew what it was, but it appears everybody reads the same forums as I do anyway so I got identical answers.

I have quite a few items to take pictures of and show you. It'll have to wait until the weekend as I gave up taking pictures in the evening under a light bulb a long time ago. Besides the pistol I have the felt-lined wood box it's been stored in (not sure if it was bought this way or not), the original receipt dated 2/71, sales flyer from Centennial Arms showing the retail price of $89.95, and accessories such as the powder flask and bullet mould. I suspect the flask and mould were purchased years earlier, as I found receipts for similar items dating back to 1968. I cannot remember if my dad ever told me he had owned a different 1860 Army replica prior to this one. I just *think* I remember him saying something to the effect that he had another one once and sent it back. It's very upsetting now to be finally researching my dad's firearms and discovering some interesting info, except now I'm not able to talk to him anymore to clear up old details that I had ignored as a kid. Unfortunately I was too involved with my own collection, and didn't think too much of his since he wasn't "into" the same kinds of guns that I was. But now that he's gone they mean something to me, and I'm doing things I should've done ages ago. Hopefully it's a lesson learned to those who still have a chance to get together with their family and research their eventual heirlooms.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Bootsie

DSK: sorry to hear about your dad.
The powder flasks sold by Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liège, the maker of the Centaures, were made by famous Dixon & Sons of England. They are marked COLTS PATENT like the originals (and the Italian clones as well). Bullet molds were of the 2 cavity kind (1 round ball, 1 conical ball). Most were made of steel, a few made of brass. They were marked MADE IN BELGIUM. Check the website for pics under ACCESSORIES and MEMORABILIA.
Looking forward to your data sheet and the pics.
Thanks Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf
Old March 30, 2009, 11:25 AM   #11
dsk

Thanks for all of the help. It turns out the accessories are all Italian repros. However it's a very nice setup, wouldn't you think? He apparently had good tastes in firearms.

I will take it out to shoot again someday, but for now it's content to remain a display item. I did clean it up and re-lube it, something that hadn't been done since probably the late 1980's.