The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 10, 2002, 07:33 AM   #1
Sisco

Accurizing, what first?

I've got a 270 built from a Mauser action, plan on free floating the barrel, glass bedding the action and installing a Timney trigger. Should I install the trigger first or can it be done after the bedding?
Old June 10, 2002, 08:03 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

SK, you can do it in any order you wish. The trigger shouldn't intefere with the bedding one way or the other. George
Old June 10, 2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Clemson

Install the trigger first so that you can inlet the stock for it. You may find that you have to mill out the trigger guard just a little bit to fit that Timney also, and you want to have everything in the proper relationship before you glass it. Next, float the barrel. You can put a couple of wraps of tape (Brownells sells an excellent tape for this purpose) around the barrel before you glass it, and the job will turn out perfect with the tape insuring that the floating is uniform. When you glassbed the rifle, remove the trigger and use modelling clay to fill the hole for the pin that holds the trigger. When everything is set up the next day or so, you may have to cut out a little of the bedding compound if it flows into areas that you have inletted, but that is fairly easy to do. Use plenty of release compound. Everyone has a favorite, and I have never found anything as easy to clean up after as Hornady One Shot Case Lube. This stuff is an aerosol that works great for reloading, but the main reason that I keep it around is to use as a release agent. Don't use Pam. It will oil-soak your stock.

Good luck!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old June 10, 2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Sisco

Got the Acraglas Gel kit in the mail today, reading & re-reading the instructions.
When they say to use modeling clay, will PlayDough work or do they mean something different?
I have some RCBS spray case lube, would that work as a release agent?
Old June 11, 2002, 07:27 AM   #5
Clemson

The kit comes with a release agent that is a blue liquid. It works fine, but you have to peel it off the metal parts after you do the bedding. I can vouch for the Hornady stuff, but I haven't used the RCBS. I would suggest that either you try the RCBS stuff on some scrap steel first, or use the Brownells release agent that comes in the kit. It does work just fine -- clean up is a bit more involved but not terrible. I have always used modeling clay because it does not harden. Play Dough hardens and shrinks. I think I would advise a trip to the toy store for a bit of modeling clay. You won't need much.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com