The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #151
Dashunde

Quote:
...and is likely to be taken as overbearing by those who would defend the right described in the Second Amendment, but with whom you may have minor differences.
The occasionally bizarre activism of OC'ers and the negative public (voter) impression it often leaves behind is not a minor difference.
"Come And Take It" rallies typically draw a large police presence and undesirable media coverage that can hamper the efforts of core 2A supporters concerned with the bigger picture.
So yea, many feel compelled to shun those on the outer fringe who can/do bring firearms into a negative light more often than necessary.

And for what? To narrowly focus on promoting a tactically unwise method of carry that spooks much of the public in hopes that the criminals steer clear?

I think OC should be legal everywhere, but I sure don’t want to see it become common, and I certainly don’t want to see it get more media coverage.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:29 AM   #152
IdahoCarry

Unity is our key to success

I have a question for all of you? How often do your gun groups meet and discuss tactics to overcome oppressive gun regulations in your state through the legislative process?

How often to you sit down with CCers, OCers, legislators and candidates in one room to discuss gun issues in your city.

We do it every month at our Idaho Carry dinner meetings at Fuddruckers and last night we had 112 in attendance with our Deputy Attorney General, 2 state representatives and several candidates. We are changing hearts and minds in Idaho.

I’m a Washington DC transplant. Born and raised there for 21 years and then stayed in California for 30 years before moving back to DC where I spent the last 15 years living under the oppression of a totally anti-gun DC government.

I moved to Idaho and discovered that there were no statewide gun organizations other than the NRA and GOA and neither of those groups were actively addressing the increasing anti-gun policies being introduced in our cities and counties.

I started Idaho Carry Open & Concealed 2 years ago and we now have members in every county and city in Idaho, and we are gearing up our www.2ndAmendment2014.com site to identify our pro-gun candidates in state races.

We have members who are a little on the fringe side and see no problem walking down the street in rural areas with an AR15 on their back. We have in depth, heavy discussions about those practices in Idaho and over time, we are able to persuade them that it is more important to win someone’s heart and mind to OC, and that can best be accomplished by OCing a handgun while sharply dressed, displaying a friendly demeanor and engaging in pro-gun conversations with those who address you.

A few here seem to think that addressing the assault by anti-gun groups can best be addressed severally without the assistance from other gun groups, not recognizing that you can better influence the unwise actions of some by engaging them constructively within a broader organization.

It may make for lively debate as I obviously engendered here, but eventually, because we are on the same forum, calmer heads and reasoned arguments will prevail. I’m open to changing some of my original post to address issues that call for clarification between “opinion” and “statements of fact” but some of you need to realize that we operate more effectively as a team, OCers & CCers, when confronting the very real attacks on our 2nd Amendment rights from our state and federal government.

Here is a link to more photos from our 2nd Amendment Rally at our Capitol last winter. We will be holding another this January. It is this kind of rally organized by CCers & OCers that will bring unity.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old October 25, 2013, 11:58 AM   #153
Dashunde

Well said, that post combined with a bit of your original, would have represented your efforts better.
It seems you and your group operate differently than your OP would suggest.

Quote:
A few here seem to think that addressing the assault by anti-gun groups can best be addressed severally without the assistance from other gun groups, not recognizing that you can better influence the unwise actions of some by engaging them constructively within a broader organization.
This forum is a pretty broad organization, its educated thousands on nearly all firearm-related issues, including political.
It’s a random array of members, anchored by many who are heavily involved in groups, training, law, and so on.
In essence its similar to meeting at Fuddruckers, except we do it every day to some degree.

Quote:
I’m open to changing some of my original post to address issues that call for clarification between “opinion” and “statements of fact” but some of you need to realize that we operate more effectively as a team, OCers & CCers
No one is saying we're on different teams, we were pointing out that howling at the moon wont bring an understanding to those your hoping to sway and can do more harm than good.
To promote your cause effectively your points need clear, concise, truthful documentation that others can follow and buy into.

Last edited by Dashunde; October 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:12 PM   #154
zincwarrior

The Texas State Rifle Association meets annually, and has it own lobbying effort.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #155
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCarry
...I’m open to changing some of my original post to address issues that call for clarification between “opinion” and “statements of fact” but some of you need to realize that we operate more effectively as a team, OCers & CCers, when confronting the very real attacks on our 2nd Amendment rights from our state and federal government....
Yes, we can be more effective as a team. But part of being effective is understanding the audience and tailoring the message to best speak to the audience.

And as far as revising your original post, I think it first needs to be clear what the message is supposed to be. In it's current form it almost seems to be intended to promote open carry as superior. If that's supposed to be the message, I don't think you'd be able to rigorously demonstrate it.

On the other hand, you might start with the premise that both open carry and concealed carry are useful. You could then explore some of the benefits and drawbacks of each and the sorts of considerations which might make someone prefer one to the other in certain circumstances and for certain purposes. Any choice involves trade-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCarry
...How often do your gun groups meet and discuss tactics to overcome oppressive gun regulations in your state through the legislative process?...
In California we have regional NRA Member Councils which meet monthly. The California Rifle and Pistol Association works closely with the NRA and the Member Councils on lobbying and legislative matters. We also have the Calguns Foundation which works with the Second Amendment Foundation looking at possible litigation efforts and helping to fund litigation; and those interested in that area keep in touch electronically.

Different environments call for different methods. California has vastly different politics from Idaho and over 20 times the population (some 38,000,000 compared with about 1,600,000).
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 25, 2013, 02:06 PM   #156
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have been following this thread without participating to share my opinion on this...

We have covered and recovered the pros and cons of open carry vs. concealed... That was, after all, the entire purpose of the thread... Beyond that the only other purpose would be pure and simple political activism...

Either way, this thread has gone back and forth and roundy round enuff...

If the OP would like to continue activism threads, then it can be on other issues and we will see where they go...

So this one is closed....

Brent
Closed Thread