The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1
jclayto

can I borrow your Dillon 650 box?

Ok, Interesting title I know... here is my dilemma...

I agreed about a month ago to purchase a Dillon 650 set up from the brother of a family friend. He lives across the country, so the machine has to ship. I hear he is a bit attentive to detail, but he still has not shipped my 650 because he can not figure out the "Safest" way to package it so that it will not get damaged in shipping. He is so worried about shipping, he was even looking into some sort of "exploding foam" capsules that you place in the box and detonate, and it expands into styrofoam packing. I think this is a little extreme so I turn to you, fellow TFL members to help me figure out how to get this machine.

I havent seen the 650 other than online, but I understand its quite a large machine. Does anyone have the box with packing material that their machine shipped in? I know this sounds crazy, but I would be glad to pay to you to ship your empty box to him, he can ship it to me, and I'll return it back to you. If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to pack it up? As a last resort, im going to send him to a UPS store, and let them pack it, but they burned me for over $60 in "Fees" to help me pack a small LCD computer screen last year, so I am bitter. The fee did not even include shipping, just their packing fee. I can only imagine what they would charge to pack the Dillon.

BTW I have not paid for the machine yet, so I know no scamming is going on. He is quite insistent that I receive the machine and check it out before I pay him.

Please help me bring a dillon home
Old December 27, 2008, 10:42 PM   #2
oryx

Have you contacted Dillon? They would most likely help you out in some way
Old December 27, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3
DaveInPA

Get him some medication for his OCD. Everything should be ok after that.
Old December 28, 2008, 08:35 AM   #4
jclayto

HEHE, yes OCD medication is in order here. I hear this is a beast of a machine and very well built, I don't think UPS can hurt it.

Contacting dillon is a good idea, I will give that a try.
Old December 28, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5
the machinist

I don't think UPS can hurt it

That is the funniest thing I have ever read on here
I ship with the sorry son of a guns everyday and beleive me....there is NOTHING they cant tear up..
UPS
United pot smokers
united package smashers
unusually poor service...
Old December 28, 2008, 11:50 PM   #6
#1 Moses

shipping

Tell him to ship it to dillion they will go all over it and ship it back to you in a nice szfe box!
Old December 29, 2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Powderman

Tell him to do the following:

1. Get a BIG box, from U-Haul.
2. Disassemble the machine, as in: Remove the toolhead, case feeder, casefeed support bracket, all adapters and handle. Leave one shellplate in place to hold in the small parts.
3. Obtain a good quantity of bubble wrap and peanuts.
4. Box up all the small parts. These will go into the big box. Now, wrap the machine with at least two turns of bubble wrap.
5. Pour peanuts (styrofoam, of course!) into the box and cover the bottom third.
6. Place machine and spare parts in. Bubble wrap the larger parts.
7. Pour peanuts in to completely cover the machine. Continue pouring until the box is slightly overflowing with peanuts.
8. Close the box, pressing the flaps in TIGHTLY.
9. Seal with filament tape, across all seams, flaps and corners.
10. Ship it UPS. If the box is small enough, ship the thing USPS Insured for the replacement cost of a new machine plus the cost of applicable conversion kits and add-ons.

11. Print out these instructions and e-mail them to him.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
BigJimP

I did not keep my Dillon 650 boxes .... sorry.

The press itself - tell him to just ship the press ( take off the strong mount ) in one box. Ship the tool heads, powder measures, dies, etc separately in another box. If he has a case feeder - tell him to ship that separately in a third box. Insure each box appropriately for today's replacement cost.

Peanuts and bubble wrap will get it done / maybe tape some styrofoam to the loader ( its heavy / may shift in peanuts ) - but don't let him ship it fully assembled.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Shoney

Hey !

Careful how you throw OCD around. There are a lot of us out there. Yes! I'm talking about the Old & Crotchety Disorder.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 29, 2008, 11:25 PM   #10
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Tell Him To Drive It Cross Country And Deliver It. Gas Is Cheap! Lol!!!!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 30, 2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Gunlocator

Wish I would have known My son threw away my Dillon Box a few days back. I ask to get put in attic but I guess Attic and Dumpster is the same to a teenager
Old December 30, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
jclayto

heheh, thanks guys! I talked to Dillon yesterday and they reassured me that even wadded up newspaper will normally do the trick. I am trying to convince him to get it done today. I am glad that he is being careful, but geez I am ready to play with my new toy

BTW. I am building a bench Wednesday for this thing. Will a depth of 2 feet give me room for the strong mount and case feeder attached to this press?

I am thinking 6x2 for the bench.