The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1
capt Ajax

Best shotty for Tactical / Home Defense

I'm going to trade my glock for a nice tactical shotgun that will be used only for home defense. I have hunting shotguns, but I want something with night sights, high capacity mag, pistol grip, w/ the shortest barrel length allowed by law.

I no nothing about tactical shotguns outside surfing this site for a couple hours.

Any suggestions on what brand is most versital / reliable, or perhaps the most for the $$ outof the box?
Old February 26, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Shotguns

I'm partial to the Mossberg 500 pumps becasue I'm a lefty and I like the safety. Nothing wrong with the 870 Remington either. Both are an excellent value. Many are available on the used market. Consider that you can sometimes buy a hunting style shotgun after hunting season for cheap, and a good barrel cut down job should cost about $20 or $30 depending on sights, not an issue if you want only a pistol grip. I personally avoid the pistol grip only option. You can always fire the full stock tucked in close or from the shoulder. You can't aim the pistol grip only from the shoulder. If you have a need for a short version for storage or something try a collapsable or folder. Again, as a lefty, some of the AR style collapsable stocks that mount a shell holder are uncomfortable or even dangerous to fire from the weak side. Picture where your face would be:
http://www.atigunstocks.com/products...3&page=2&id=53
Might be an issue if your layout requires firing from around a corner on your weak side, too. With your budget, Knoxx makes a great folding stock, and don't forget a good light setup.
http://www.knoxx.com/index2.html
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...r/92/sesent/00
Old February 26, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
YukonKid

remington 870. You can buy she security model or whatever its called for 300 with an extended mag and an 18.5 inch barrel. If you want to spend a lot buy a Wilson version.

I would suggest searching this thread topic, it has been brought up loads of times.

As far as pistol grips, lights, laser ect. go i would just go to your local mall ninja websight and order them there.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 26, 2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Hunter007

FN Herstal

You might wanna check out FN Herstal I've heard good things about there tactical shotguns
Old February 26, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Rustynuts

Converted Saiga-12. 10-rounds of semi-auto goodness! (or a 20-rd drum will soon be available) You can also put collapsible or folding stocks on the converted model.

Stock

Converted
Old February 26, 2008, 10:16 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Or you could trade me that glock for my mossberg 500... it is more shoot able being a 20 gauge and will come with a 5+1 mag tube and pistol grip... Basically it is a "cruiser".
I will keep my poly full stock for my next shotgun. You won't find the pistol grip as useable as you may think. An 18 inch barrel on a Mossberg 500 with a full stock is VERY tactical...
Brent
Old February 26, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
warrior poet

I'm not much of a shotgunner- though I readily acknowledge their tactical usefulness- so I have more than a passing interest in this thread. My experience is limited to my grandpa's waterfowling shotguns, the Mossberg 590 (USMC version), the 870 Express (USMC version), and the Benelli semi-auto (USMC version). Of my rather limited experience, I like the 590 and 870 the best.
Old February 26, 2008, 11:24 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Buy a short barrel for your hunting shotgun and call it done. Why mess with what you already know how to use?
Old February 27, 2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Smitty in CT

Mossberg 930 "Home Security" 18.5" barrel, super reliable, affordable...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old February 27, 2008, 10:21 AM   #10
LouPran

Give me the tried and true tested Remington 870 any day.
Old February 27, 2008, 12:48 PM   #11
capt Ajax

WOW! Great advice guys. I'm heading out to some of the local gun stores and lay my mits on some of the guns your guys mentioned. I believe the gun shop closest to my house actually has for sale a used "AK" style shotgun like the one featured on this thread!.....or I might take my chances at the next gunshow. They have one in here in Knoxville, TN every month.
Old March 2, 2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Rampant_Colt

big thanks to Smitty for posting that Mossberg 930 "Home Security"! I'm in love with that thing! I've wanted a 9200 Jungle Gun for a while now - i know what i gun i'm getting next.. Tax return is in the mail
Old March 2, 2008, 07:51 PM   #13
RoscoeC

Quote:
Buy a short barrel for your hunting shotgun and call it done. Why mess with what you already know how to use?
Smart, very smart. As I have heard it put before, it ain't the arrow, its the Indian.

Just about any reliable shotgun will serve quite well for defensive purposes, if you do your part. Shorter barrel is nice, but not necessary.
NRA Life Member
Old March 2, 2008, 09:02 PM   #14
sm

Quote:
Just about any reliable shotgun will serve quite well for defensive purposes, if you do your part. Shorter barrel is nice, but not necessary.
Agree.

I run bone stock shotguns that fit me, short barrel is nice, then again a 28" has never failed me.

Courtrooms and Juries do take note of what Evidence is presented too...

My HD shotgun: H&R Topper Youth, 20 ga, fixed modified choke, factory recoil pad
Loads: Slugs.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:35 AM   #15
capt Ajax

"Courtrooms and Juries do take note of what Evidence is presented too..."

A very good observation sm...