The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1
markm_04

Equipment maintenance

I am wondering what everyone uses to maintain their equipment, particularly presses and dies. My RockChucker recently started acting like the ram was a bit dry as if it was dragging a little bit and I am not sure exactly what to use on it to lube it up. Any suggestions?

Also does anyone use the RCBS die maintenance kit that I have seen for sale in some stores? What should I do periodically to prevent any rust or corrosion from building up on my dies?
Old November 13, 2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

I've been using my RCBS single stage press since 1984. Works perfectly after 100's of 1000's of cycles.

The only thing I've used on the ram is Break Free CLP prior to use.

I take the dies apart and wipe them real clean from time to time - with a very light coating of Break Free on most parts.
Old November 13, 2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

If the press is dragging it may not only lack lubrication, but may have caked up some residue. You may want to disassemble it to clean it. I can recommend the Ultra-lube white lithium grease sold at Lowe's, but motor oil works just fine, too. A number of folks, the Army Marksmanship Unit included, now use Mobil 1 synthetic oil for all lubrication functions and for its carbon cleaning ability on guns and equipment. both. The 0W20 is popular.

The die maintenance kit is newer than dies are. Dies are steel and you clean them and oil the surfaces. A shotgun mop and cleaning rod can be useful. The homemade Ed's Red is a good choice for a cleaner as the residue left behind is automatic transmission fluid, which has corrosion inhibitors. If I'm going to put dies up for a long, long time, I use LPS 3 or Boeshield T-9 or RIG on them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 13, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Crankylove

I wipe my press off and oil the ram (1-2 drops) and pivot points after each use, and fully disassemble it if for a good scrubbing about once a year (Redding single stage, so it's not much to tear it apart).

My powder measure gets wiped with a dryer sheet at each use, and pulled apart a couple times a year and given a good wipe down.

The dies get scrubbed out every few thousand rounds.

I know a few reloades that clean and oil their equipment after every use to keep the rust from starting due to high humidity, but in Utah, humidity isn't really an issue for me.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #5
BigJimP

Dillon recommends 30 WT motor oil on shaft ....and wheel bearing grease on pivot pins and all other moving parts....and they say no penetrating oils, aerosol sprays or solvent type lubes.. like WD 40 or Break Free....
Old November 13, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

That's important. Thin lubes act like honing oil, not having enough film strength to prevent rubbing of the metal parts altogether.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle