The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Sweet Shooter

Tracking

Is there a way that we can see/identify withing the thread who is the OP? It would cut some threads in half.
-SS-
Old March 13, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Say what? Not quite sure I understand what you're asking, but here's my answers to what I think you're asking...

The OP (original poster?) is the very first post in the thread.

The original poster is also shown when you're looking at the forum thread view. Under the name of the thread is the name of the person who started it.

The question is, however, how would knowing the original poster cut a thread in half?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Nope, there is no way to tell inside a thread other than looking at the first post of the thread who the OP is.

Like Mike, I'm puzzled why you think that info would shorten a thread.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

If it's a one-page thread, and you're using Firefox, get the add-on called Back to Top. It lets you go to the top (or bottom) of the page with the click of a button, or from the context menu. Cuts down on scrolling time, and on wear and tear on your scrolling finger.

If it's a multi-page thread and you want to be able to check things like the name of the OP or when the last post was made, leave the forum main page open in one tab and open each thread in a new one -- then you can just click back to the main page to check.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 30, 2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: elaboration.
Old March 30, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I still can't figure out how knowing the OP has any bearing on the rest of the thread, particularly since very few threads would make any sense without reading the OP and if you read it, you'd know who wrote it.

In any case, in addition to Vanya's suggestion, you can just click at the top or bottom of the scroll bar and quickly go to the top or bottom of the page. Also, right clicking on the page number (1) if you want to see the OP and choosing "Open in New Tab", will open the first page for you without losing your spot in the original tab.
Old March 30, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
cvc944

On long threads you can also use the elevator. Only takes a second and saves much time over scrolling.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

The elevator?
Old March 30, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
cvc944

The elevator is that vertical rectangle on the far right side of the screen between the up and down arrows. Left click on it and use your mouse to drag it up or down. It's what we used before the little wheel showed up on our mouses.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Never heard the scroll bar called the elevator, but it is descriptive.

I doubt anyone has a problem getting from the bottom to the top of a page, or anywhere in between using any number of methods. The OP wasn't talking about that, if I read his question correctly. He wants to know who the originator of a thread is from any location in the thread, and more specifically from other than the first page of a thread.

Instead of adding more suppositions to this, and since Sweet Shooter apparently isn't going to clarify what he said, let's just close it since there is no solution for the question asked with the current state of the vBulletin software.
Closed Thread