The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 11, 2006, 08:48 PM   #26
hodaka

First rifle I ever bought was a 39A. I have had it 40 years and really like it, but, it will not hang with my daughter's CZ Scout. I wish it wasn't true but it is.
Old October 11, 2006, 09:31 PM   #27
buckster

Cz

I love my 452 Trainer with a Simmons 22 mag on it. Just ole Federal champs gets 1/2 at 100 and goes thru 2x4's. That Scout has a shorter barrel, so try it up against a longer barreled one and you'll see the difference. But I'm sure the 39 A is great too. Whatever puts it on the table is good.

We are all winners, for we are the sperm that beat everyone else to the egg.
Old October 11, 2006, 09:37 PM   #28
OneInTheChamber

I have a CZ 452 in .17 HM2 topped with a BSA Sweet 17. On a calm day; it's one slightly ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I don't care what the Marlin can do; cause it can't do better than that. If it does as well, but costs more, I can't see why the CZ 452 wouldn't be superior.
Old October 12, 2006, 02:02 PM   #29
jkingrph

Have had my Marlin 39 since second grade in 1952 and can honestly say have never had another 22 to compare. Ruger 77/22 and Win 52 repro just do not handle same. Once in early 60's Dad & I decided to scope it, and to zero made a crude vise on a sawhorse to hold rifle secure, one shot then andjusted crosshairs to hole. Seemed to my young eyes at the time to be one hole groups at 5o yards, not that I cared for that level of accuracy at the time. Tin can accuracy out to 75 yards was more fun than punching holes in paper.
Old October 12, 2006, 07:12 PM   #30
Varmint Eviscerator

When the wood is taped we all come out, cz makes a wicked rifle-pretty as heck to!
-Chase
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old October 12, 2006, 08:30 PM   #31
SanQ

thanks everyone's reply

I am gonna go get marlin 39A, even though cz is a little more accurate in most cases. but 39A is the best lever 22LR, but there is better bolt 22LRs than CZ. another reason is that, in Canada, CZ and 39A sell for same price.

Old October 12, 2006, 10:42 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Dunno about the Marlin, but here's a 50 yard 5 shot group I shot with my 452. Center-to-center size is about 0.3 inches.

(Yes, I really did shoot it on April Fool's day--bummer, huh?)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ-452UL.jpg (32.3 KB, 8854 views)
Old October 16, 2006, 06:05 PM   #33
WhitSpurzon

I have one CZ 452 (American) and three Marlin 39's (39A, 39A Mountie & 39TDS).

For accuracy I have to give the edge to the CZ. see picture: http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1168549

The CZ is a good quality rifle and I would rate mine equal quality to the Marlin 39 and much better than any Marlin bolt I've seen. The CZ has a good trigger and is easily made better with Brookies trigger kit.

However,,,,, If I HAD to pick one or the other, I'd pick the 39A Mountie because it's my favorite hunting rimfire. The accuracy is very good, see picture of 5 in a nickle at; http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1114275

That was an unscoped group so I'm sure a I could tighten it up a little. One hole? maybe. The Marlin is less finicky about ammo too.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:51 PM   #34
FirstFreedom

So is the postal match on or not?
Old October 17, 2006, 05:04 PM   #35
Wildalaska

some one needs to set it up

WildimtoodiscombobulatedAlaska
Old October 18, 2006, 10:51 AM   #36
nero

While I don't own a Marlin 39A, I do own a CZ 452FS (Mannlicher stock) and I can consistently shoot pea to dime-sized groups with it at 50yds using an el-cheapo BSA scope and Remington bulk pack ammo. I can image that the Marlin can equal, but not surpass that.

nero
Old February 27, 2008, 11:45 AM   #37
GROR

I think it's interesting how some folks will call one junk because they like the other. I'd pay attention to the posts of those who own both firearms for the most reliable comparrisons otherwise your getting a "Chevy guy" or a "Ford Fan" type opinion.
Old February 27, 2008, 02:04 PM   #38
Houndog

Wow. Really surprised by the first couple of posts of this thread. Just purchased a CZ 452. Not having any firsthand experience with this rifle and not knowing anyone who owns one, I decided to become an expert the easy way - I did some research on the internet.

Basically, I couldn't find anyone who actually owned one of these rifles who had anything bad to say about it. Found an awful lot of people who thought it was the best .22 you could buy for under $500, and who were particularly enthusiastic about its accuracy. It was something of relief to read some of the later posts by owners who seem pretty happy with there CZ's.

My rifle should arrive next week and I'll be curious to see how well it soes. I'm counting on it to be a tack driver because it's getting to the point where I can't afford to shoot my AR's and .308's.
Old February 27, 2008, 03:04 PM   #39
MrBorland

Wow - resurrecting an old thread. I'll chime in, though, since I hold a full house: A pair of 39As and a trio of 452s.

I don't know whether the OP was asking about the intrinsic accuracy of each, or which is easier to be accurate with under a given condition ("net" accuracy). I suspect that most people, myself included, can really only offer thoughts on net accuracy, since we (I) never shot each from a vice, using each rifle's preferred ammo.

Having said that, though, I found both to be accurate. My scoped 452 varmint will smoke any of the others any day off a bench. Comparing apples to apples, though, I can shoot my peep-sighted 39As nearly as accurately as my peep-sighted ultraLux when standing, shooting offhand. Off a bench, the UltaLux edges the 39As a wee bit.

Both are great rifles, but IMO, they have their fortes. For plinking, the 39A gets the nod. For bench shooting, the 452. For hunting, either would be great.
Old February 27, 2008, 03:56 PM   #40
629 shooter

Owning both for some years I can say my CZ 452 Special has show itself to be capable of a far higher level of precision shooting when compared to my Marlin 39. Shooting examples of each owned by others pretty much mirrors my results.

My 452 Special @ 50 yards:

And at 100 yards:

And the Special was only $189 when I bought it back in 2002. Actually the only 22lr rifle I owned that was more accurate with some brands of ammo was a $675 Sako. If I ever get around to improving the CZ trigger things will only get better.

As to the references of CZ being junk that is simply a crock of horse manure. Apparently there are those who have their favorites and when something different is mentioned they will badmouth it in an effort to elevate their favorite. I picked up a CZ 452 American a few weeks ago and and if it can be classified as junk then I would rank my 39 in the same class as well.

I enjoy owning both. For fast standup shooting/plinking the 39 is the rifle I choose , for shooting groups I grab the CZ.
Old February 28, 2008, 03:48 AM   #41
skeeter1

No, I was wrong

Quote:
"Still, CZs are far from junk, unless thousands upon tens of thousands of owners are all wrong, and skeeter is right."
No, I don't know what the hell I was thinking (maybe too much gin). CZs are fine guns, and I wouldn't mind having a 452FS.

And to answer another question, the Marlin 39Ds were only made from 1971 to 1973, I believe. They're darned hard to find. If you can find one, expect to pay >$500 for it.

Either way, 39 or 452, both good and accurate rifles.

Although I haven't shot a CZ452FS (yet), I can tell you that I took out crow on a tree branch at a measured 100yds with a 39. Yes, Marlins are expensive, but I'm sure glad I have a couple.

Last edited by skeeter1; February 28, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 28, 2008, 06:29 AM   #42
Martyn4802

The last group I shot with my CZ 452 American in 22 Rimfire measured 3/16" at 50 yards.
There is no way a Marlin Model 39 lever action can match that kind of day in, day out accuracy.

Martyn
Old February 28, 2008, 07:35 AM   #43
jsimmons

At 25 yards, even a box-stock Ruger 10/22 is accurate. Range should be at least 50 yards, and should include a 100-yard course of fire as well.

A *true* test of accuracy would be to have both rifles in question shot by the same person (who doesn't own a copy of either rifle) with the same scope and the same ammo on the same day at the same general time of the day.

BTW, I ran the same test on my CZ-452 Silhouette and my Henry H001T. The day I ran this test, it was 65 degrees and overcast. My methodology was as follows:

1) I thoroughly cleaned both bores before going to the range.

2) I used Wolf M/T ammo (LOT# 10839), sorted by rim thickness.

3) The scope was a Mueller APV set at maximum power (14.5)

4) At the range, I fired 30 (unsorted) rounds through each gun to season the barrels to the lube used on the Wolf M/T.

5) I fired 10-12 sighting shots through each gun before shooting for groups.

6) Shooting five shot groups at 50 yards, the CZ shot a ragged hole group smaller than a dime. The Henry shot a group just a hair larger than a nickel.

7) I repeated the tests three more times. In every test, the CZ was more consistent and accurate - but not by much. In fact, I consider the difference to be insignificant.

8) By the time I got to the 100 yard range, the wind had picked up and I couldn't get decent groups from either rifle. I have not since tried the 100 yard test because the windy conditions haven't subsided.

And the guy that said that the CZ-452 is junk is talking out his anal pore...

To be honest, I was hoping the Henry would out-shoot the CZ, but a pinned receiver gun simply isn't as accurate as a threaded receiver gun.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:14 AM   #44
Houndog

OK - sounds like they're both pretty good rifles. Dime size hole vs. nickel size hole at 50 yards? I'd be happy with a quarter sized hole at that distance. Hell, I could even live with the occasional fifty cent sized holes. Sounds like in my case when it comes to accuracy the only hole I need to be worrying about is the a**-hole pulling the trigger.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:22 AM   #45
jsimmons

Quote:
OK - sounds like they're both pretty good rifles. Dime size hole vs. nickel size hole at 50 yards? I'd be happy with a quarter sized hole at that distance. Hell, I could even live with the occasional fifty cent sized holes. Sounds like in my case when it comes to accuracy the only hole I need to be worrying about is the a**-hole pulling the trigger.
Don't forget, I was comparing a Henry to a CZ. Everyone else here seems to have a huge erection for Marlins. My test was described primarily to illustrate that the CZ is most certainly not junk. Secondarily, it was used to show that a Henry rifle is pretty accurate, and that Marlin doesn't make the only .22 lever gun on the planet.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:41 AM   #46
svenrh

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the CZ safety backwards to most American rifles? Forward for safe, back to shoot? Any way to change this?
Old February 28, 2008, 11:10 AM   #47
jsimmons

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the CZ safety backwards to most American rifles? Forward for safe, back to shoot? Any way to change this?
Yes, it's true, and no, you can't change it.
Old February 28, 2008, 05:42 PM   #48
IdahoG36

I own a CZ 452 Varmint 17 machII, and it will shoot 5 shot groups as small as a dime at 100 yards. The trigger is so much better than my Marlin 917V. I am completely happy with my CZ and it is the most accurate rimfire rifle I have ever shot.
Old February 29, 2008, 05:48 PM   #49
roc1

Marlin or CZ452

I own the Marlin and the CZ452 and the CZ Brno rifles.I love my old Marlin it is 56 model great gun but I think either CZ will outshoot it.You can shoot shotgun hulls at 50 meters with either CZ all day they will group about .5 inches or less with a good shooter at 50yards easy.The Marlin is great but it will not outshoot the CZ.
roc1
Old February 29, 2008, 06:19 PM   #50
Wildalaska

Quote:
There is no way a Marlin Model 39 lever action can match that kind of day in, day out accuracy.
Wanna bet?

Wildguessthe39comesoutthisweekAlaska ™

Note...the CZ has the advantage of course due to lock time and lack of hammer fall