The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2015, 09:18 AM   #51
mehavey

Quote:
On the one side were folks who said it was a dangerous load because
of the difference in burn speed of FFFg when compared with FFg.

The other side said the load was safe.
I fall on the "safe" side as long as the bullet is in firm contact w/ the powder (NO gap)
Old November 14, 2015, 04:14 PM   #52
Doc Hoy

I do too.....

.....But I don't have enough experience to back that up or enough data to raise my confidence.

I have been unable to find any load data for .45LC for Triple Seven FFFg. The Hodgdon website shows only FFg data. The performance I experienced using 3F is very similar to the Hodgdon Data for 2F.

I was unable to find the length of the test barrel for .45LC. But in my revolvers I can't remember much difference in velocity betwen a 7.5 and a 5.5 inch barrel.

I do remember the barrel getting hot fairly quickly and that includes in the .45LC rifles I have. There was no apparent damage to the primers from over pressure.

So the Hodgdon website does seem to be missing some information. The tech support people are not well informed on Pyrodex or on triple Seven.

There are some questions left in my mind but in the end it is academic since I don't ever plan to load FFFg in cartridges.

Tags
45 long colt , saa , uberti cattleman revolver