The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 26, 2016, 08:22 PM   #1
boondocker385

build books

I would like to build an ar 15. I have watched a ton of YouTube videos and countless websited. I would like a book or two as a reference (and it suits my learning style better to have books). Any suggestions?
Old July 26, 2016, 09:05 PM   #2
turtlehead

Just jump in and do it. Put a video on, pause it, start it, get it done. Make the mistakes and learn for yourself.

It's basically three tubes held together by two nuts and two pins.

Do it. If you can turn a wrench you can build an AR.
Old July 27, 2016, 06:57 AM   #3
LeverGunFan

I recommend "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" from Scott Duff Publications. I used a copy when I assembled a lower. The online videos are good, but the book has additional tips and hints that the videos don't cover. There is also an owner's guide, be careful when you order that you get the correct book. The assembly guide is available from Brownells at a small discount, when I ordered parts for my build I also ordered the book.
Old July 27, 2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Mobuck

The whole u-toob thing of "I built it on my apartment counter using a screwdriver, butter knife, and claw hammer" isn't worth much.

A simple pictorial is adequate but there are areas which would benefit from specific advice. I "learned by doing" but then, I'm a fairly skilled mechanic. I have accumulated a dedicated set of punches, tools, and needle nosed vise grips to make the pins easier to start.

BTW If you replace the hard to seat "roll pins" with coiled pins, it makes assembly nearly painless (and dis-assembly a breeze).

Lay out the parts making sure you get the right springs/pins/detents in the right places(label little cups if you have to), tape the areas where your hammer and/or punch might slip, use a vise and magwell block, support the ears of the trigger guard recess properly, and buy/make a detent pin tool.
Old July 27, 2016, 02:01 PM   #5
ms6852

Go to Midway's website, they have a how to guide section in their learning department which includes videos in many topics, including how to build an AR-15.
Old July 27, 2016, 05:34 PM   #6
candr44

The military manuals will give you the information you want. I often see reproductions for sale at gun shows.