The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 31, 2013, 12:16 PM   #26
gpjoe

OK, more information for anyone that might stumble onto this thread with questions:

My buddy also has the 527 carbine. I explained to him that I had read that CZ-USA will recontour your bolt handle at no charge. He called and spoke to one of ther gunsmiths, who confirmed that they will indeed fix the problem at no charge other than the shipping cost to their facility. The smith told him to remove the bolt, pack it up, insure it for $200, and send it in. He said they would machine it, re-blue the handle and ship it back.

Of course I questioned why the entire bolt assembly had to be sent, and called CZ-USA myself. I spoke to the same smith and he told me that the reason they requested the bolt assembly was to save the owner the trouble of disassembling the bolt to remove the handle. I told I had no problem with the disassembly and asked if I could send just the handle. He said that would be OK.

At that exact moment it dawned on me that CZ-USA has replacement bolt handles in stock, so I decided to press my luck and asked if I could pay for a new handle for $18, have them machine it and ship it to me (saving me the trouble of having to send mine, and resulting in me having two bolt handles) and he replied that yes, they could do that. It would have cost me $18 plus shipping.

Bottom line is that, due to my impatience, I wasted my money buying an aftermarket bolt handle from Custom Reloading Tools, when CZ-USA would have offered a much cheaper solution.

Last edited by gpjoe; February 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:21 PM   #27
west5757

Well that is great news. I was looking at buying an aftermarket handle myself. That saves a ton of money.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:29 PM   #28
RUT

Thanks for the heads-up. I have a call into them now.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:29 PM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

I just used taller mounts for my 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball. I bought a set of cheapo Weaver see through mounts. Worked great to mount the 6-24x42 BSA I put on it. Note I have a long neck, and prefer my scopes mounted so that I do not have to scrunch my neck to see through the scope. A lot of people have shot it. Every one of them like the higher up scope.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:02 PM   #30
RUT

>>Of course I questioned why the entire bolt assembly had to be sent, and called CZ-USA myself.<<

Well, I've called them three times now, and three timers now they haven't returned my call "in the order it was received". CZ has to have one of the worst customer service organizations I've ever dealt with. What a way to run a business!!
Old February 7, 2013, 09:24 AM   #31
armoredman

Huh, keep trying - I've dealt with CZ-USA customer service for years, and they are consistently the best I've ever dealt with. If you can't get through on Gun Smithing, try pressing two for Parts after you dial 1-800-955-4486. Let me know if that works - do remember, they are screamingly busy right now - I managed to get through yesterday to some higher ups, and the business is insane.
I actually never knew about the cheap CZ re-contoured bolt handle, good to know!
Old February 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #32
RUT

>> actually never knew about the cheap CZ re-contoured bolt handle<<

Well, I finally sent them an email outlining my dilemma and got a reply from the actual gunsmith who does all these bolt jobs. So, I'm paying $18.00 plus $5.00 for shipping for a replacement bolt handle. I now know that calling the parts line and leaving your name & number is fruitless. You've got to go right to the source. This same fellow told me that he's put in the recommendation to CZ to make the bolt handle this way from the factory, as he's being inundated with requests like mine. You'd think they would have thought of this in the first place. Oh well.....
Old February 7, 2013, 06:14 PM   #33
Jerry45

Just to show what the rifle is capable of here's one from yesterdays range trip. CZ 527 Varmint .223 pictured in my other post. Nosler brass, Federal Match SR Primers, Sierra Match 53 gr. bullet over Varget. Five shot group 100 yds.

Yah... I pulled one.