The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2006, 12:18 PM   #1
dredgingbottom

Reloading 270 Win T/C Encore

Looking for reloading data for the T/C Encore in 270 Win. My son just got one and shooting factory loads, the recoil is a bit stiff (big surprize!). I'm thinking 110 or 130 grain soft nose bullets, light powder charge. Pistol has a 15" barrel length, so probably need a powder with a bit faster burn rate than the 4350 I typically use for my 30-06 rifles.

Intended use is for close range whitetails in Michigan UP cedar swamps.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Don
Old August 10, 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
R.D.Wheeler

I feel your pain

I have been looking for load info myself for my Encore. I have a 7mm-08 in 10". It calmed down a lot when I put a red dot scope on it. I took my 12" 454 into the shop and ported it. I also got some Past shooting gloves. I have been shooting it for several years now, put away the gloves and live for recoil. I love my hand cannon. I shoot regular rifle ammo in mine and have some unburnt powder but it doesn't appear to be much of a problem. It is a real flamethrower around dusk. I think my next barrel will be the 15" 300 win mag.
My knowledge is limited on this subject but I have never come across a load book for hi power pistol. Maybe we could all work up loads for whatever we have and compile it into a book.(and make millions) I wonder if guns and reloading supplies as research for a book would be tax deductable.
The Hodgdon site has some good info for pistol but not in 270. Looking at the difference between the 7mm-08 rifle and pistol loads, they are using the same powders just adjusting the grains. Some are more in the pistol and some are less. I am comparing the 139 gr hdy sp pistol to the 140 gr sft pt rifle info.
Robbie

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?