Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 1, 2013, 11:48 PM   #51
BuckRub

Agree with SGT Lumpy on post #47.
Old June 1, 2013, 11:55 PM   #52
Onward Allusion

Quote:
The hottest day in April was the 10th, 91 in Richmond. Look for yourself.
I did. That's recorded temp at the official locations. Anyone living in the cities will tell you that temps vary easily by several degrees.

The post wasn't about the temp but about being interviewed & tested. It doesn't matter if it was 90+ degrees or 70+ degrees. Anyone wearing a trench in that temp is not in the norm and their behavior should warrant a second look.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:08 AM   #53
mega twin

"daydreaming to music (code white?), then scanned the lot? Why didn't you scan the lot as you were pulling in and already driving w/ your doors locked? IMHO the only time your car doors should be unlocked is when you are exiting/entering the car. "(quote)

On one of my cars,the doors unlock when I put it in park.
It's something you get used too,and don't think about much.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:41 AM   #54
Carmady

"The post wasn't about the temp but about being interviewed & tested."

Many things are forms of interviews and tests.

The OP was definitely wrong about the season, and probably wrong about the temp. Given that, his tale falls short on the credibility test (imo), and I'm not the least bit inclined to buy the story about Darth Vader/Squeegee Dude.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #55
thump_rrr

I live in a major Canadian city with a population in the millions.
CCW is strictly prohibited in Canada therefore staying out of condition white is quite important.

By walking around unarmed you are forced to use not only your senses but your social skills and manerisms.
You can project to others your self confidence and ability to defend yourself simply by how you stand, walk, look at your surroundings.
Carrying a gun most times doesn't change that.

My now elderly mother who is 4'10" tall had a way about her whenever she walked. Standing straight, confident, and walking with purpose.
She, although very petite and ladylike looked like someone you wouldn't want to mess with.

I've travelled the United States and even Southeast Asia alone and unarmed
In the nearly 50 years I've been walking this earth I can count on one hand how many times I've felt there was a legitimate threat to my life.
In all of those cases it was not that a violent act was about to be committed directly upon me but upon anyone who would have dared challenge the individual.

All this to say self confidence, posture, and the image you project may do more to prevent you from being a victim than that gun you are carrying may ever do.
At least in most of the USA you can have that gun on you when everything else fails to keep the bad people away.

Last edited by thump_rrr; June 2, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:59 AM   #56
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
My own - maybe overly optimistic - opinion is that he was probably just mentally ill and harmless.
That may be, but counting on the mentally ill to be of a harmless variety is kind of an iffy proposition.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:14 AM   #57
manta49

Again it must be a American thing if someone approached me when I was in my car I would think he was looking directions or similar. The last thing I would think of is going for a firearm if I was concerned I would drive away.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:38 AM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

I think I was "approached"... What do you think?

"American thing"? Lets talk about that. Do you want to PM me on this "American thing" you're speaking of? I'm really curious and want to know. Seems like it's laced with a little negativity there.

Everything the OP described was weird. Better safe than sorry. Maybe that's the "American thing" that's kept us free since 1776.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:03 AM   #59
dayman

He was probably pointing out that we Americans tend to be more fearful of being the victim of violent crime than our counterparts across the pond.

We live in a country where the majority of the population thinks that crime rates are going up, when in reality they've been going down for 50 years. Maybe it's the constant media stream inundating us with images of violence 24/7, or maybe it's something else, but as a society, we do tend to be a bit more jumpy than we need to be.

I'm not saying that we should be unconcerned or unprepared. But, presuming that every weirdo is a highwayman is probably a bit much.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:45 AM   #60
Evan Thomas

"American thing?" I'd say we have a level of fear here that comes, among other things, from watching way too much TV news. We're also (biologically?) programmed to be wary of anyone we perceive as "other."

When I was much younger and living in Boston, I was getting ready to leave the parking lot of a 7-11 when I was approached by a white-haired, frail old woman. I had a wee adrenaline rush and thought about rolling up my window. My next thought was "Darlin', you've been living in the city too long."

She asked me for a ride back to her seniors' apartment building, because she was having heart palpitations.

Old June 2, 2013, 09:52 AM   #61
deepcreek

When I was younger I traveled all over, sometimes on foot with a backpack. Some people I approached(to ask directions, say "Hi", etc) where friendly and nice people. Some were freaks that acted like I was an axe murder, I had a couple of people put their hands on waist bands next to guns. It would make me think WTH some guy is so frightened of a stranger he needs to hold a gun..?

I would have someone weird out on me fumble around trying to get to weapons for asking a good place to eat and the next person would invite me to their home to have dinner.

Some people have poor social and personal skills.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:55 AM   #62
Pilot

Quote:
Again it must be a American thing if someone approached me when I was in my car I would think he was looking directions or similar. The last thing I would think of is going for a firearm if I was concerned I would drive away.
As someone else said, crime, especially violent crime has gone down drastically in the last 20 years in the U.S. However, certain parts of inner cities can still be very dangerous places, and that's where most of the violence comes from. If a shady looking male between the ages of 15 and 50 approached me, I would be on guard.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:46 AM   #63
manta49

Quote:
American thing"? Lets talk about that. Do you want to PM me on this "American thing" you're speaking of? I'm really curious and want to know. Seems like it's laced with a little negativity there
I am just saying that if someone approached their car here that their main concern would be that they were trying to sell them something they didn't want etc not that they were going to harm them. Circumstances are different a woman on her own for example might feel more threatened than a male. As I said if I was concerned I would lock the doors and drive on if possible. When I say a American thing I mean in similar circumstances here the first thoughts would be as I said they were trying to sell something or looking for directions. The thought that they were looking to harm them would be way down the list. Probably because the chances that the person trying to harm them are very low and the other explanations much more likely.

Last edited by manta49; June 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:47 AM   #64
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Some people have poor social and personal skills.
The flipside is that some people having grown up in the city (Chicago for me) have had bad stuff happen to them when they let a stranger come too close. We all judge others based on one's own personal experiences.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:14 PM   #65
ClydeFrog

cart wheel....

I love how 1 remark can cause a post to cart wheel off topic....
Old June 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #66
Evan Thomas

Actually, it's not off-topic to consider why people react the way they do, and how that can be different for different people, if it makes us think harder about our own reactions.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #67
Bluestarlizzard

Well, that's insulting.

And then the rest if you play into it.

All reasonably intellegent human beings take safety precations. I put on my seatbelt because it's a reasonable thing to do, not because I'm paranoid about being in an accident. Same reason I have vehical insurance, a fire extingitior in the house, lock my doors and wear boots instead of open toe shoes at work.

Don't insult me because I have the means and willingness to take reasonable precations in case someone attempts to commit a crime on my person. You're darn right I'm an American. It doesn't mean I'm paranoid. It just means I have more personal rights then you, and choose to exercise them.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:10 PM   #68
manta49

Quote:
Don't insult me because I have the means and willingness to take reasonable precations in case someone attempts to commit a crime on my person. You're darn right I'm an American. It doesn't mean I'm paranoid. It just means I have more personal rights then you, and choose to exercise them.
I am not sure who that is addressed to who called you paranoid.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:29 PM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

This is going off the rails. The issue is appropriate tactics for the situation.

The discussion of paranoia - American thing - etc. is a diversion. Cease and desist.

I'll say again - such interactions can be evaluated and handled with training. That's more important than 9 vs 45. Take a class or two with FOF in such situations.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:52 PM   #70
manta49

Quote:
The discussion of paranoia - American thing - etc. is a diversion. Cease and desist.
I asked I think reasonably is it a American thing as its not the type of reaction to the situation described that I see here. So I was wondering is that type of reaction common in America. Some here would be more wary than others at a stranger approaching their car security forces and prison officers for example. I understand that because they have and still are targeted for murder.

[QUOTE]Vanya
Staff
Quote:
Actually, it's not off-topic to consider why people react the way they do, and how that can be different for different people, if it makes us think harder about our own reactions.
Quote:
The issue is appropriate tactics for the situation.
My point here what was described normally would not be seen as a situation of any concern.

Last edited by manta49; June 2, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:44 PM   #71
Glenn E. Meyer

The point has been made that some do not think the OP situation was one of serious concern. Dissecting personality or the cultural nuances of various countries is a diversion.

That discussion became one of personal insults and bickering.

Thus, cease and desist that line of contention. That is good advice.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:17 PM   #72
teejhot.40cal

Maybe he just wanted to help you out. He was probably homeless and wearing everything he owned. No everyone is out to get everyone
Old June 2, 2013, 04:49 PM   #73
Garycw

OP and a couple others reminds me of once being approached rather abruptly. My work often had me in very bad parts of the city. I pulled up to a stop sign that was at the end of a crossing overpass. Out of nowhere a shady careactor was at my window asking for directions then spare money. He was obliviously from the neighborhood and in no way needed directions. If there's such a thing as a text book senecio for car jack/ hold up.. This was it. He was standing behind overpass pilar waiting for car to stop at sign. I cracked the window and told him NO and proceeded quickly. Not sure if I wasn't the type he was hoping for or if I left too quick. I did have a gun but he really had the drop on me fast.i never saw his gun, but I'm sure he was armed as most people were in this getto area. I never went that route again.

Another time when a teenager there was four of us in a car and picked up a hitchhiker to do him a favor. All of us being pretty broke we politely asked if he would perhaps have a little change to chip in for gas. It didn't sit well with this psycho and he pulled out a concealed .357 and threatened to shoot us all. Finally he had us stop in middle of road and let him out ( gladly) and dared us to look back or say anything or he would shoot. I don't typically pick up hitchhikers anymore either
Old June 2, 2013, 07:41 PM   #74
Carmady

"Another time when a teenager there was four of us in a car and picked up a hitchhiker to do him a favor. All of us being pretty broke we politely asked if he would perhaps have a little change to chip in for gas. It didn't sit well with this psycho and he pulled out a concealed .357 and threatened to shoot us all. Finally he had us stop in middle of road and let him out ( gladly) and dared us to look back or say anything or he would shoot. I don't typically pick up hitchhikers anymore either "

I'd guess your visitor thought you guys were going to roll him, and he was protecting himself.

Four of you wanting money, and one of him in a car full of strangers.

If he was the "psycho" he'd have taken your car and left you guys standing in the road, if you were lucky.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:52 PM   #75
Garycw

We didn't demand money , just asked if he had any extra change for gas. A simple no would have been fine.
Closed Thread