The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 20, 2011, 05:55 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I was/am an instructor for rifle and pistol and teaching my kids were easy. The wife was a different story. I talked to a lot of my comrades and heard the same thing. Some wives are easy students and eager to learn but not from their husband.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 20, 2011, 09:54 PM   #27
Discern

Have her start off with the NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Basic Rifle if you go the instructor route. Some instructors charge for private or group lessons and some do not. Some ranges or clubs may have a public day with instructors on the range to work with the public shooters.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:20 AM   #28
C0untZer0

I got a lot of good ideas from this thread, I am going to check out 4H and jr. shooter programs.

I read that the shooting sports are declining - mainly hunting. The article may have been wrong, i don't know. But it's odd to me that we want to promote the sport but at least in my area we really make it expensive to get your kids into shooting.

The clubs where I'm at have $400 initial fee and $175 yearly fee. That is pretty expensive.

Compare that to other kids activities and it is just really expensive.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:47 PM   #29
output

C0untZer0,

More often than not I think Children and loved ones absorb more when they are taught from an outside source. It just makes things easier sometimes.

I am not sure what part if Illinois you are from but you might want to check out Safer USA: http://www.saferusa.com/learn-to-shoot/

They offer a basic pistol courses that is 8 hours in length for $160.00 and $80.00 for youth (double check prices I am quoting from memory) if I am not mistaken. All of their NRA courses are also one-half off for youth 17 years old and younger.

Best of luck to you.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:21 PM   #30
rjrivero

NRA Jr. Rifle Program.

My daughter shoots NRA Jr. Rifle. It's a great way for kids to shoot with kids and find their own social structure within the shooting sports.

She does A LOT better with her coaches instruction than she does with mine, however, I do make sure safety rules are ALWAYS followed.

I'm not really concerned with her punching the bullseye out of the target, but I am concerned with safety on the firing line.
Old October 29, 2011, 08:15 PM   #31
C0untZer0

I'm surprised SAF does training. They don't have any youth program / training, but I might contact them, maybe there is someone who trains. That's the way it is with the local skeet/trap club. They just have someone who works with the kids but there isn't anything published.

The Illinois Rifle Assiociation doesn't have anything in my area.

I have two kids who have their targets on the refrigerator, and another one who is crying her eyes out because she hasn't hit the bullseye
Old October 29, 2011, 09:15 PM   #32
Vermonter

ok i can help here

As one of my early ski industry carrear moves i was hired as a childrens ski instructor. I advanced my skills and am now a certified professional instructor. I still do this for fun.
Let me make it clear that any parent can teach their child anything. We had one of the most successful childrens ski programs in the nation by using a method the PSIA (Professional Ski Instructors of America) refers to as the Train the Trainer Method. Its all about parents and children taking the lesson together. Works for any two people in a relationship where one person is more skilled at an activity than the other.
Basically an instructor begins the teaching by starting the lesson as though the two participants are equalls and teaches both like they are beginners. If one participant is more advanced they learn excellent teaching skills and the other begins to learn the activity itself. Eventually the two bond over the lesson and they are given things to work on together between lessons.
My suggestion is to take training together you may both learn something
Old November 5, 2011, 10:42 AM   #33
Marty Hayes

One of the fondest memories of my father was the first time he took me and my brothers shooting. Here at the Firearms Academy of Seattle, we believe it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids gun safety. We will teach the parents they teach the kids. We get asked all the time for kids classes, and we could make money teaching them, but sorry folks, it is your responsibility to teach your kids about guns.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:41 PM   #34
wayneinFL

Quote:
There are two things a man should NEVER try to teach his significant other:
Driving and Shooting
I hear that. Kids are accustomed to taking some instruction from their fathers. Wives are not accustomed to taking instruction from their husbands.