The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2009, 09:09 AM   #1
surfersami

Todays brass?

I have known the history of the .357 Mag for some time now, and I never owned a .357. Now I just recieved my grandfathers S&W M28-2 6" barrel. I thought it might be a good time to start reloading. My question about todays brass is that the original .357 was loaded into .38 spl brass. Knowing that I only have the N-frame S&W can modern 38spl or 38spl +P brass be loaded a little on the hot side. I would not want full mag loads, and I several boxes of quality .38 spl brass that I have fired and saved. I have some .357 brass and I know it is 1/8" longer, and I know why. Do any of you all load hot .38spl. I have fired a friends .38 +p+ Secret Service load a few years ago, and on his chrono it approached mag numbers. Haven't loaded anything yet, but want to hear some opinions.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Sevens

I would seriously question that his .38 Spl +p+ actually approached magnum loads. While I don't know offhand what the SAAMI spec is for .38 Spl +p+, I would guess it's in the neighborhood of 23,500 CUP.

.357 Mag runs around 42,000 CUP.

If your buddy can push 158 grain bullets to 1,400-1,500 FPS from factory loaded .38 Special ammo, I'd be surprised. I've never heard of .38 Special ammo that does that... not since the 1930's, and even that wasn't factory ammo.

To answer your question, there are folks out there that will do all kinds of dumb things. Loading .38 Special brass over-hot because you happen to have a decent supply of it is never going to be a good idea.

Theoretically, if your hot ammo never finds it's way in to anyone's .38 Special, it'll never be a problem, right? The best way to make sure that never happens is to load it in brass that won't ever fit in a .38 Special.

It seems like the bottom line here is that you don't want to buy any brass.

Now I'm frugal and cheap and I squeeze nickels until they bleed, but this just isn't a good idea.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
surfersami

I appreciate you comments. When I compared the +p+ it was the speed of the bullit, the only .357 we were shooting that day to compare with was 180 gr and it was only maginally faster. I don't remember what the speeds were off hand as this was almost 20 yrs ago.
I agree about the being cheap statement, I just wondered how many people may be doing this sort of thing. I personnaly think the brass would last longer shooting normal .38 spl or +p loadings anyway. Which again makes more sence for the frugality issue.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:31 AM   #4
salvadore

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I'm the guy that does all kind of dumb things. I load Skeeter's 13.5 gr. of 2400 under a 358156 in .38 cases. I use +p cases but am told the specs on +p brass and regular are the same. I load 11gr. 2400 under a 358429 and shoot both of them in model 60s smith .357s. I shoot both these loads in Colt OPs because when the 38/44 loads were intrduced Colt claimed their service revolvers (OPs) could handle it. If you take responsibity for your actions and are able to keep from using your reloads in inappropriate shooters then you're good, if not I'd go with Sevens advice.
Old January 29, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
surfersami

I am just contemplating the reloading thing, so my plan is to get several manuals, load from the minimum and work up, and will stick to .38 loads in .38 cases. I may load up some +p stuff, but everything will be fired from a N-frame Smith 38-2 hwy patrolman. I'll wait until I am good and consistant at reloading before I venture toward maximum loads.
I have some .357 loads that were worked up by my great uncle, they shoot 158 and 142 gr bullets at max pressures. He told my grandfather not to shoot them out of anything but an N-frame. (He said it was the strongest at the time he reloaded them.) He was a ballistician for the army with many years experience, and had the facilities to measure pressures and check for signs of over-pressure. They have a very healthy kick, and I had one punch a hole through a 6" hardwood tree and was recovered halfway through another the same size.