The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2001, 09:21 PM   #1
OkieCruffler

Choke tube add-on

Ok, I've finally decided to take trap and skeet seriously, maybe even go to them there olympics that all the young folks are talking about. But what I'd really like to do is show all the O/U and auto-philes that I can do just as well with my $300 SXS. I've got a Stevens 311 that I shoot as well as anyone, but it's choked F/M, and I'd like to have some options. Has anyone out there had choke tubes added to their SXS? Did it work for you? Any gunsmiths, especially in the OKlahoma area, that could be recomended? And the first person who recommends getting an O/U is hearby challanged to a duel at sundown. Like my pappy always said, "If God would have wanted you to shoot that, He'd have put your eyes that way."
Old October 4, 2001, 11:22 PM   #2
K80Geoff

I would seriously consider having someone like Briley put in thin wall tubes. One of the problems with many choke tubes is that they require aditional thickness at the muzzle to install. Briley has developed a process that uses very thin chokes that do not require bulges at the muzzle.

www.briley.com

Duel at sundown Hmmmmm.....

Geoff Ross

Hmmmm Link doesn't sem to be working 1 800 331-5718
Old October 5, 2001, 05:39 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Okie, shoot the games with any darn shotgun you want to.

Sporting Clays events oft have SXS classes, and these are lots of fun.

Choke tubes will broaden the versatility of your shotgun, if they are installed correctly.

And,the 311 series Savage is a solid, reliable shotgun. Some have convergence probs,as does most other makes. If patterning indicates yours has some probs, Briley can furnish and install eccentricly bore choke tubes that will fix same.
Old October 5, 2001, 09:03 AM   #4
Bud1

Briley does stellar work, but the cost will exceed the value of your shotgun.

Don't be so quick to think that your M/F constrictions will discount your Stevens from any of the clay games. I shoot an Improved Modified choke (.0025) at everything from skeet to sporting clays, and posted my personal best sporting clays tournament score (93) with that tight choke last summer.

Have you considered trying different loads for different distances/targets? Fiocchi Power Spreaders can be had for around $5 a box if you must have a more open pattern for close targets. You will soon find that not worrying about having "the right choke" will allow you to focus harder on crushing the target, and you will soon wean yourself from spreader loads as your confidence and abilities increase.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck, and have fun.

Bud
Old October 5, 2001, 11:44 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bud has a good point. Cheap, soft shot, either factory or relaods, will open those bbls up by a choke increment or so. Games run close to long shots,so tailoring your pattern by swapping loads will be cheaper, but darn near as effective.

Or, open one bbl up to IC, Cylinder, or Skeet, and keep one tight.A trap load of 7 1/2s will work way out there for trap handicap, or one of the "Cruise Missile" shots some SC courses offer. A soft 8 load will open quickly and do well up to 30-35 yards.

Or, keep your present chokes and loads, and get really good at centering the targets. I went with a Full choke for 16 yard trap to teach me to hold tighter.A few lost birds now vs a steeper learning curve and proficiency came sooner than expected..
Old October 6, 2001, 09:12 AM   #6
OkieCruffler

OUCH, now you've got my head hurting from all the choices. I've never considered tayloring the shot size and density to the pattern I want, which is strange since when I was the great white hunter I did it all the time. Makes more since than chopping up one of my beloved 311's (yes, I collect 311's and .380 pistols and my wife has already told me that it is insane) I'm really going to have to look into this sporting clays thing, sounds like a boatload of fun. Anyone know of someplace close to central oklahoma that offers such a thing? LOoks like I'm off to the reloader and then out to pattern some loads. Dang, I hate when that happens.
Old October 6, 2001, 10:46 AM   #7
K80Geoff

Or you could have one of your 311s chokes opened up to say Skeet or IC for the close shots and take two guns with you!

George Digweed, the great British Sporting Clays shooter uses two guns, one with fixed open chokes and one with fixed tight chokes. He is arguably the greatest SC shooter there is.

A local shooter has used a Remington 1100 for years to shoot SC, he carries two barrels with fixed chokes and changes accordingly. It is possible.

You might want to bring a gun cart to carry everything though.

Geoff Ross
Old October 6, 2001, 03:37 PM   #8
Robby9

Oklahoma Sporting Clays is located near Lake Arcadia in central OK. Great place to shoot.