The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 9, 2015, 09:53 PM   #1
BShaver

S&W "Lemon Squeezer" Info?

Hello,
I am new here and was hoping I could get a little information on a gun that I received. I do not have a Smith and Wesson book like everyone is referring to in the forum. I was wondering if someone could provide me the year it was produced, what the gun was typically used for (police, military, civilian, etc.) and the make and model. Thank you all so much in advance, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Gun: Smith and Wesson "Lemon Squeezer"
Caliber: .38 S&W Short
Serial Number: 117XXX
Old April 9, 2015, 11:29 PM   #2
RJay

S&W Safety Hammerless 4th Model, 1898 to 1907, Primary a civilian firearm, but also used by security personnel ( Bank Guards, Express guards ) , very rarely used by police but possible. It was never a military issue firearm, but may have been carried as a personal firearm. There is no such animal as a .38 S&W Short, it is just the .38 S&W. It is short only when compared to other cartridges such as the .38 Special. Hope that helps
Old April 10, 2015, 10:40 AM   #3
lamarw

I think RJay is correct. If so, it will look like one of the below attached images.

Mine is serial number 1293XX and according to Mr. Roy Jinks of S&W was shipped from the factory on Nov. 2, 1901 and delivered to Schoverling Daly & Gale Co., New York City, NY. The factory records indicate the revolver was shipped with a 3.25 " barrel, nickel finish, and checkered black hard rubber grips. The star below the serial number on the butt of my revolver indicates that this revolver was returned to the factory for refinishing . The refinishing work was completed on May 1929.

My revolver does show significant wear but is in good firing condition. It locks up tight and shoots very well. I eventually found some new ammunition from Bass Pro and now reload my own ammunition. It is a fun gun to shoot with mild recoil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lemon Squeezers.jpg (75.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Lemon Squeezer Revolver.jpg (194.2 KB, 67 views)
Old April 10, 2015, 11:30 AM   #4
BShaver

Thank you

Thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate it. It is a very neat gun and the description fits it perfectly. Thank you both for your time and knowledge.