The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Dan D

Kareen vs FM hi power

A local shop has a Kareen and a FM hi power for sale. The Kareen is either nickle or hard chrome, I think it was nickle because I've never seen hard chrome beat up this bad, it doesn't have the bevertail. It has the small safety, small sights and is stamped J O Israel. The FM has the standard parkerised finish that has small scratches but overall is in decent shape, it also has an extended safety. The shop wants $450 for the Kareen and $495 for the FM. Any opinions on either of these, worth the prices they're asking? thanks.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Northrider

I have not heard of a FM High Power, but if you meant the FN High Power, I would go with that. I have a Browning High Power made in Belgium, that I like very much.
Old April 24, 2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Dan D

FM is an Argentina made clone, unfortunately that's all i know about them. If it was a FN/Browning for $450 it would already be mine.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
jonnyc

I have/had both. The Kareen is a true clone, the parts probably made by FEG. They are good, solid pistols. Yours was probably a private pistol turned in to the Israeli police at some point, and sounds pretty beat. FM90s are about 95% clones and pretty good shooters. I think their triggers are the best in the HP world. I wasn't happy with the metallurgy of my FM90 and sold it.
Hope this helps.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Dan D

Thanks johnnyc, that's exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Anybody else?
Old April 24, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
pelo801

What series is the kareen? I have one that is the mk 3. I believe JO is the importer. Mine says KSN industries, isreal on one side and JO arms, Texas on the other. I've had it for several years, shoots well and has endured a little abuse, but still works fine.
Old April 26, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Chesster

FMs are a bit rougher than FN but work fine and take FN parts. Mine have Browning ambi safeties.

Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 28, 2013, 06:31 PM   #8
DATL

Kareen vs FM hi power

I don't know Kareen but I do own a FM Hi Power 9mm.

We bought it from a sporting goods store that was closing when I was 21 (9 years ago). I think we paid a LOT less for it I think around $200 tops? Honestly my dad paid for it when we stumbled upon it- so I don't quite remember.

All I can say is it has been absolutely awesome. I got it to be one that I wouldn't care about- where I could take it camping, hiking, kayaking, dirt bike trips, and could leave it in my minimally waterproof jeep wrangler. Sure enough it has never failed to feed, shoot, or eject ever. It shoots very accurately and reliably. Most guys that have shot it asked to buy it surprisingly (seriously, i swear lol). I had it duracoated last year. It is still one of my favorite guns to shoot even though my collection has grown over the years.

Old April 28, 2013, 06:42 PM   #9
johnnydollar

I, too, have put the Browning extended safety on the FM H-P clone and it worked fine. I also installed the C&S wide trigger on the same gun with no problem. I'd go with the FM--mine was accurate and dependable, and shot every bit as good as my Brownings.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Chesster

It has been years now, but as the FN was $700 plus NIB, I found NIB FMs for 2-300 stock. My usual treatment was the ambi safety (for lefty), wood grips, and dropping the mag disconnect. Much like my treatment of old FNs come to think of it. The finish was not too fancy compared to vintage Belgians but OK compared to the latter Iberian FNs.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 7, 2013, 03:23 AM   #11
shaunpain

A little late to the show, but I'll play. Here's what I know (or think I know!)...

The Kareens are not exact clones, but close, akin to the FEGs. They are commanding a little less than that, especially since it's so beat up. I recommend finding a good deal on a transfer and buying a Kareen or FEG from Sarco online. The prices from them can't be beat.

The FMs are made under license and are factory approved by FN, also having been made on FN equipment. Albeit the "rough" finish, as opposed to the originals and the Kareen/FEG, these are correct Hi Powers with full parts interchangeability. These are costing a bit more these days and I can't find them for the same price as a Kareen or FEG, but from the sources I've seen it's because the FMs are more sought after.

It might be interesting to note that I stumbled on this thread because I'm doing a little reading in anticipation of the FM Hi Power someone is selling to me tomorrow afternoon for $400 OBO. It's not the price I want to pay, but the FNs and Brownings are way too high and, all things considered, it's not much over the price of one a year or two ago. I'm seeing the FMs on Gunbroker anywhere from $350 or so to $750.

Happy shopping!
Old May 7, 2013, 07:47 AM   #12
jonnyc

FYI, Argentina's license from FN ran out in the 1980s, as did their supervision and assistance. As is common with such things, the quality of work and materials has also been less on commercial FM guns produced in the 1990s to today. They are not "FN-licensed" guns, and it is obvious in their workmanship and materials.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Geordieman

I bought an FN pistol that was assembled in Portugal for $300 last year. It was just too good an offer to turn down and I believe it had not been fired very much if at all. The two magazines that came with it were nickel plated but I do not think that they were the original ones
Old May 7, 2013, 10:45 PM   #14
DATL

Kareen vs FM hi power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
FYI, Argentina's license from FN ran out in the 1980s, as did their supervision and assistance. As is common with such things, the quality of work and materials has also been less on commercial FM guns produced in the 1990s to today. They are not "FN-licensed" guns, and it is obvious in their workmanship and materials.
Okay so they WERE FN-licensed- are they the only manufacturer that has been licensed to make these clones? If they are the only ones that have interchangeable parts with the original FN it is the only one i would consider.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:26 AM   #15
shaunpain

Just a little update: I picked up the M-90 today. I have to say that I was expecting something very crude, and it turns out I have a gun that's practically flawless and looks to have been shot very seldom. Everything is still a little tight and there are no wear marks that I can detect. Finish is superb, all things considered. Not the beautiful bluing of the Belgians, but a nice military non-reflective black. The general consensus seems to be that the Argentinians are completely interchangeable. Although this gun wasn't made while the license was active, I understand that they were made on the same equipment with the same parts. I'll agree with jonnyc that it doesn't appear to be quite the same form and fit as the original, but the price was right and I'm happy to have the platform.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:07 AM   #16
jonnyc

No doubt they are good pistols, with great triggers. However, if you do shoot it a lot, watch for peening and unusual metal wear.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:25 PM   #17
DATL

Kareen vs FM hi power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
No doubt they are good pistols, with great triggers. However, if you do shoot it a lot, watch for peening and unusual metal wear.
Thank you for that info. I'll keep a check on mine as well mine. The pic I posted above is of mine and I don't know if the duracoat has hidden any unusual metal wear. I'll have to google what peening is :x I must currently have thousands of rounds through it since I got it 9 years ago. I have been very hard on it- under greased, over greased, sparse cleaning regimen, +P, and tons of moisture as it has done a lot of kayaking and hog hunting with me. Crazy reliable thus far. Not trying to discount that it's a good idea to keep a check on it, and/or that it, like all things probably has some shortcomings. Clearly I'm biased though- It's hard not to be when you have a good experience with a particular piece.