The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
pax

Does your husband carry?

I'm looking for a gun for a guy. What kind of gun does your husband prefer?

pax
Old July 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Old Stony

You'll probably will have to be a little more specific. Target, concealmment, hunting, etc...
Otherwise he would probably just enjoy something lightweight with a big hole in the end that never misses.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Grant D

I think someone's being facetious lol
Old July 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

lmao..too funny.

Well I carry a Glock 19.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Doyle

I hold a two-handed gun. "This is my weapon, this is my gun. One is for..."
Old July 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Model12Win

Glock 19.

Just get it. Really.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
SgtLumpy

Even more LOL would have been "The Husband"...

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 8, 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

No offense, Pax, but the question is a bit insulting.

Just because we all have Y chromosomes doesn't mean we all have the same preferences, hand size, and emotional drives. I get tired of women thinking we all want a camo-dipped .44 Magnum Loudenbowser because of stereotypes.

My suggestion would be to enroll him in a First Steps or Basic Handgun class and have him make the decision on his own. It's a very personal one, and everyone's different. Don't rush him.

Old July 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Jen-from-IL

Does your husband carry?

Same goes for us girls. You hear about guys who say that women should have this gun or that gun because its meant for women. Not the case. I will buy the gun that feels right in my hand. Your husband should do the same. Go to a basic handgun class, if he is unfamiliar with guns, and learn the basics. He will have the opportunity to fire at least one gun (I fired 3 - .22 target, .38 revolver and 9mm semi-auto). This will go a long way to him making the right choice.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Bluestarlizzard

I'm having an extra special giggle over this.

The BF carries a .38 special snubbie a lot of the time.

*sarcasm* because it's a GREAT start for a little womans CCW.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
jglsprings

Quote:
Does your husband carry?
I'm looking for a gun for a guy. What kind of gun does your husband prefer?

pax
Let's eat Grandma.
Let's eat, Grandma.

Commas save lives...
Old July 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Archie

About time for a bit of light-heartedness!

So many threads get so dadgum serious!

Miss Pax, I read the title and was thinking something along the lines of 'getting a birthday gift' or some such. Your reversal of this eternal question gives me a warm smile - as well as some others, obviously.

I'm pretty good at picking out jewelry for the woman in my life. (Said in a theoretical sense; I've been good at it in the past and no longer have a woman in my life. Other than my daughter, I still do pretty well by her.) On past occasion I've attempted to buy shoes or clothing for whatever woman was in my life at the time. Usually resulting in a 'thank you' with an undercurrent of 'nice try...'

Truthfully, guns - especially concealed carry guns - are about as personal as shoes or undergarments. 'Comfort' is very much a subjective quality defined only by the user.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #13
SgtLumpy

Girls, you should get "the husband" a gun that has a lot of kick. Because men are all very strong and can't deal well with light recoil guns.

You should get him a gun with a lot of levers and knobs because all men feel lost when their machines are too simple.

You should get him a gun that requires a lot of disassembly and cleaning because all men like to handle and work with their guns before and after trips to the range.

You should get him an expensive gun because once he starts yacking with his buddies, they'll compare the cost. Your man will feel small if his gun is cheap.

You should get him a gun with night sights. There's really no good reason, but men all like that.

You should get him a well known brand name gun like Smith&Wesson, Colt, SigSauer, Glock or at very least Ruger. Don't get him a Rossi or a Taurus or a DayStar or any other "off brand". Similar to the cost parameter, he'll feel embarassed around his buddies that all have Glocks, when he has a Rossi.

And finally, there's no need to go to the extra expense of paying for lessons or training. Men all know how to use guns. It's in their chromosomes. He will only feel embarassed and inadequate if you suggest that he doesn't know something.

Hope that helps...

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 8, 2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Archie

Sgt Lumpy, I salute you!

Correct in every detail!

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 8, 2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Pilot

I'm sure any gun you pick for your husband would be a good one. Just decide for him, that's fine.

Kinda of something pink probably.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #16
southjk

SgtLumpy for the win with that response. Perfect!
Old July 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #17
dakota.potts

You should get him something he feels comfortable carrying. As a guy he will obviously have better hand strength and recoil control than you. I recommend something that starts in a 4. A .357 will suffice if he has to carry a snub nose. A .45 is a good middle of the road cartridge but also consider a .44 magnum or even a .454 Casull. These large frame handguns will fit his hand better and will be very easy to conceal in his beer gut.

But if you want to get something you can shoot with him, you'll want a revolver that can handle a really dumbed down .38 special load or maybe an autoloader with a .22 swap out barrel so that you can shoot after he's done and you'll be able to handle the recoil.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Corona

Check out Mike Irwin's web site the Cornered Weasel.

Ha! Nailed it.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:55 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Boy, the sarcasm went WAY over quite a few heads............
Old July 8, 2013, 08:23 PM   #20
PatientWolf

You really should buy him a bouquet of guns. Don't skimp and get only a dozen. Two dozen will show how much you care.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:40 PM   #21
danez71

The answer is an easy one.

A revolver.

Its a known fact that guys cant multi task and get frazzled under stress so simplicity is the key in order for a guy to have a chance at being able to operate it.

All they will have to do is point and pull the trigger.

Plastic grips are the best choice for men. They don't know how to dust furniture and wont be able to take care of wood grips so plastic is best.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:20 PM   #22
Dragline45

I get the point of the post, but when most of the threads come up for guns recommended for wives or girlfriends usually it is stated that their significant other has very little and limited experience with guns. Often it is said that they do not have a profound interest in guns either, which only means to me that they will probably not be shooting it often or staying familiar with the controls or fundamentals. When smallish simple easy to use guns are recommended it is not because anyone thinks women are simple minded and puny and cannot figure out all the controls or handle a larger gun, it is because it was expressed that they are new to guns and don't have alot of experience. And in that case I would recommend the same regardless of male or female. Also lets be realistic here, mens hands are larger than womens.

Most full sized guns are designed for men's large hands. I am not going to recommend a Sig 226 or Beretta 92 for a woman due to the large grip size. Another problem for women I have noticed, and I have taken alot of my female friends shooting, is that they have a tough time manipulating the slide on alot of my guns. To ignore the fact that most men are stronger than women, and that manipulating a slide might be a problem for some women, just for the sake of equality, is ridiculous. Lets face it, men and women are not built the same.

A perfect example is my mother. She has her concealed carry license, though she has very little interest in guns. She does not enjoy to shoot and does not do so often. She does not take her gun out every now and then to dry fire or even familiarize herself with it, despite how much me and my father tell her she should. Just about every auto we had her try she had a tough time manipulating the slide. Between me and my father constantly having to show her how the safety works, how to clear jams, how to drop a magazine and insert a new one, and etc every time she was left alone in the house, we recommended a revolver and it was just about the best thing for her. By recommending a simple easy to use revolver we were not insulting her intelligence or ability, it was just the best choice for her and it worked out.

Last edited by Dragline45; July 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:32 PM   #23
seeker_two

pax: For this reason, the gun companies have started making models in camo colors to appeal to the masculine market. All men like camo....just like they all want to be Duck Commanders.....
Old July 8, 2013, 11:06 PM   #24
pax

Dragline,

If a lot of your female friends have trouble manipulating the slide, that means you need to learn how to teach someone to manipulate the slide. Racking the slide is not a matter of strength; it is all a matter of technique.

pax
Old July 8, 2013, 11:22 PM   #25
Dragline45

Quote:
If a lot of your female friends have trouble manipulating the slide, that means you need to learn how to teach someone to manipulate the slide. Racking the slide is not a matter of strength; it is all a matter of technique.
Yes and no. I agree technique is the better part of it, but hand and grip strength do come into play. All of them preferred the overhand method, and I taught them to push forward with their hand gripping the gun while pulling back on the slide. More specifically they had the most trouble with my Ruger SR9C which has a very heavy and stiff dual recoil spring. None of them had a problem with the Beretta which I can rack the slide on using my fingertips if I really wanted too. Eventually they all got it, and some did not have any problem at all, but I noticed this more with my female friends than male friends which leads me to believe strength has something to do with it.

Last edited by Dragline45; July 9, 2013 at 01:38 AM.