The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Original Starr...

Ok, I've read all I could about the Starr, both pro and a whole lot of the reasons not to get one. I did shoot one of the Pietta pieces a while back and I like it.

I picked up an original in decent shape with a great bore, and excellent almost new nipples...it had to have been a sock drawer gun or something.

The only problem is that it takes a non-standard round ball- about .465-.470 diameter. The throats measure .462 so even my Lee conicals for the Ruger old army just fall down in it! It just so happens that a friend of mine at the club has a .465 mould and I'm going to try this thing at the range.

Pictures to follow.
Old October 26, 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
mykeal

I'm glad you liked the Pietta replica. Starr's get a lot of bad press, and I have to admit my own Pietta is probably my least favorite gun. It will be nice to see one get a good review if it turns out well for you.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Just remember Andy . . . . it doesn't matter a hill of beans what someone else thinks about the Starr . . . if you like it, that's all that counts. Myself, I was never too attracted to them but again, that's a personal thing. I've nevewr had the opportunity to shoot one either so that may have a lot to do with it. Over the years, I've handled a few originals and they are an interesting piece. We all seem to form opinions about different makes and models based on what we read . . . not what we experience. If I had the chance to shoot a Starr, who knows, I might just fall in love with it and have to have one! I hope you'll give us a report on yours once you have a chance to shoot it. We'd love to see some photos too! Good luck with it and I hope you put 'em all in the bullseye! Kindest regards and happy shooting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 27, 2010, 08:02 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

That sounds like a good score AG. I would seriously consider a original Starr if the price was right. I have the two Pietta models and they do have there own little idiosyncrasies, I do enjoy shooting them. They attract a lot of attention at the range from other BP shooters.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:56 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

madcratebuilder - could you expound a little bit about the "idiosyncrisies" you hae with your Starrs? To be fair when talking about any make/model of BP revolver - let's face it - they all have their "issues" at times. As an example, I love the '51 Navy . . . but . . . I had one that I got through some "horsetrading" that drove me nuts. It was un-shot and an Italian brand I'm sure but I never could find out who actually had made it. It drove me absolutely nuts at times - and never the same issue it seemed like. It might be problems with ignition one time (even after putting a good set of nipples on it and trying different caps) and the next time I shot it, it might be a fouling problem or something else. I found a "new" used Uberti and I love it - it is a real pleasure to shoot. The Starr is certainly an interesting model. I'm just wondering what you've had problems with in your experience - if looking at it objectively - is it something that you feel is a design flaw in the Starr design itself (whether it's an original or repro) or a problem that you have say with ball size, ignition, fouling, cap brands and what works best - those types of things. I think it would just be interesting to hear about it from someone who has actually shot/used 'em. Thanks much and have a good one! Sincerely, bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 27, 2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

One problem with the Starr, is there are five springs in it (double action model), three of which are small, thin and prone to breakage.
There are also two pivoting "hands" on the hammer- one to rotate the cylinder and the other the engages the trigger-like mechanism.

If the gun isn't very well cleaned, these little springs will rust clean through and problems result- one of the hand springs was broken on mine and I've replaced it- even though it was preserved fair.

Could you imagine trying to time a gun with two hands that engage at the same time??? At least this is the case on the original double action. I don't know about the single action.

The great thing is, if it is timed properly, it can be operated simply by pulling the trigger. Don't pull it too fast though, because it is just like early Walkers, Patersons and Rogers & Spencers in the sense that it is possible to jump a stop notch.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; October 27, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:20 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
madcratebuilder - could you expound a little bit about the "idiosyncrisies" you hae with your Starrs?
Both the SA and DA have twelve notches on the cylinder. The "second set" is intend as a "safety notch" placing the nose of the hammer between chambers. On the SA I have not been able to get it to function as designed, I place the cylinder in the safety notch, lower the hammer and it's locked up tight as drum. I have to break the frame open to free the cylinder. The DA revolver has a lot more parts than a typical C&B, but that's what attracts me to it.

I have read the DA's when fired in a rapid manor would over rotate the cylinders. This seemed to be a common problem, particularly when in actual combat.
Old November 6, 2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Black Powder

Starr org.

Hallo Andy, I have got to org. Starr SA. Breech cylinder are they at originals tapered portion. Such dimension ogival bullets non - makes, has had to am yourself alone produce mould.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starr.JPG (90.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Starr cal.44.jpg (110.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg target.jpg (192.0 KB, 63 views)
Starr SA 1863 .44 org.,Whitney Navy .36 org.,Colt Lightning .44-40 org., Bozard & Co. Hammerless 12ga org.,Colt 12ga.org.,GEW 88,Tryon .45 DP,Sharps Carbine and Sporting .45 IAB,D.H.Hilliard .40,Barlow .40,Cub Dixie DeLux .32 DP,Colt 1861 Special Musket .58,Undehammer Billinghurst .40 &.451,Gallager .54,Hatfield .32 Carb.& Long DP,Shotgun Coach 12ga.DP, Tingle Pallmetto.36

Last edited by Black Powder; November 6, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Andy Griffith

That is a very, very nice .44 single action Starr! Congratulations on such a nice piece!

Did you make the bullet mould yourself, or have it made?
I would love to find one in aluminum like that. Where did you get it?

Is the diameter of the bullet about .465 or .470 of an inch?
Old November 9, 2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Black Powder

Thanks .......
My Starr was he antiquarian piece, much years of not shooting.
Is the diameter of the bullet .470 inch.
Bullet mould I my production, made - to - measure in cyllinder and barrel.
Attachment plan.
Starr SA 1863 .44 org.,Whitney Navy .36 org.,Colt Lightning .44-40 org., Bozard & Co. Hammerless 12ga org.,Colt 12ga.org.,GEW 88,Tryon .45 DP,Sharps Carbine and Sporting .45 IAB,D.H.Hilliard .40,Barlow .40,Cub Dixie DeLux .32 DP,Colt 1861 Special Musket .58,Undehammer Billinghurst .40 &.451,Gallager .54,Hatfield .32 Carb.& Long DP,Shotgun Coach 12ga.DP, Tingle Pallmetto.36