The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
steve k

Reload or not to reload?

I have a .308 cal Remington 700 and Ive noticed that the price of ammo has gone through the roof here in Georgia if I can even find it. Ive been thinking of reloading it and ammo for my .45 cal pistol. I know that reloading can save me money in the long run but how much will it cost me to get a very basic reloading set up going, and what stuff will I need to get to do it?
Also casting bullets is that something I should even attempt when I first start reloading or should I tackle one thing at a time?

Steve
Old September 7, 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Farmland

A pretty broad question though you could get a single stage to a progressive press to start at between $300 and $1,000. Of course it depends on exactly how much of the extras you want.

For the basic set up read the sticky on the top of the forum.
Old September 7, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Sevens

The answer you get here REALLY depends on who you ask and what kind of mood they are in! Bottom line is this-- there's a very large investment in TIME and an initial cash outlay that simply cannot be ignored or explained away by anyone no matter how they present their argument.

In the end, you'll end up spending as much and most likely MORE money overall... but what you'll end up with is a whole helluva lot more ammo and quite often, better ammo. And you'll you learn a lot more about your guns, your shooting and ammunition along the way. If you end up like many of us, you'll find that reloading is a very rewarding hobby all in itself.

IMO, getting in to casting right away is biting off quite a bit more than is necessary for someone completely new to reloading. FULL DISCLOSURE: I probably say this because after 20 years at the load bench, I myself still haven't take the leap in to casting my own. IMO, it's a whole new ball of wax with a life of it's own even aside from reloading. At this point, for me, it's too much investment in time, money and energy for the result. I can still buy really good cast bullets for what I consider cheap money.

How much to get started? Tough to say. Just for tools, figure a couple two to three hundred. But those tools can last a lifetime. Where it gets sticky with estimating costs is when you figure components. (brass, bullets, primers, powder) With these items, the more you can afford to buy in large lots, the cheaper you can buy it. If you go out and buy 100 primers and 100 bullets, you'll pay top dollar. If you can find a source for 2,000 bullets, 5,000 primers and 4 or 8-pound cans of powder, you'll spend a staggering amount of money but your per-unit cost will be horribly cheap.

If you come here to ask, "Should I do it?", that would be like coming to a discussion forum full of stamp collectors and asking, "hey, should I collect stamps?!"

Where to start: there's a sticky at the top of this forum which discusses new reloaders and equipment. I highly recommending visiting www.midwayusa.com and checking them out for equipment and prices and comparisons.

Need more help? Ask more specific questions... right here in this thread.
Old September 7, 2009, 07:43 PM   #4
bigalshootmupper

I'm in Georgia myself, Peachtree City, and I know what you mean on the price of ammo. Walmart had 308 for $9 a box of Federal powershock a year and a half ago and I bought all they had, I think it was a misprint of the price tag. Now everything is about double that so I started getting in to reloading. I have been reloading about a year and I can get under 1MOA pretty consistently trying many different loads. In my opinion, all of the equipment is all good stuff. I just have the $100 Lee Challanger Anniversary set and it does everything I need. Get a good tumbler. I spent $75 on the Lyman autopro. You'll might need a few other things such as case trimmer, Lee is what I use and it works great and its like $12 for the 2 pieces and then like $6 for each size case. That's pretty much all you need except for dies. Most of your money will be spent on powder, bullets, and primers.

You will definitley save money for rifle. For handgun, you need to cast your own bullets to make it a savings. I don't cast bullets so I don't think it makes sense to reload handguns as I only shot a 40 and I can find it for $12 a box. If you shoot an expensive handgun bullet, then it makes sense.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Jeff H

There are cost effective options out there for just plinking.

My brother and I blew through a bunch of these in his CETME recently. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/am308-wolf200.aspx Still pretty cheap despite the Obamammocrisis '09.

Reloading saves a bunch of money once you have the gear, but you have to buy the $1.00/round ammo to get relodable brass since you can't reload this cheap wolf crap. BUT, that cheap Wolf crap is fun as heck to plink with.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:19 PM   #6
chris in va

I bought a hand press kit for ~$45, 4 piece die set on sale for $35 (yes!) and digital calipers for $12. Waiting to get a digital scale that won't cost me my second finger.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:22 PM   #7
CrustyFN

It depends on how much you shoot, how much time you have and how much ammo you need to make per week or month. You can start with equipment as inexpensive as $100 and spend as much as $2000. Your per round cost will be less but you have to buy in quantity to really save. I reload and cast and would recommend learning to reload first. When you have reloading down then you should think about casting. This link will be a good read for anybody thinking about starting to reload.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

Rusty
Old September 7, 2009, 08:26 PM   #8
wingman

I've been into reloading over 40 years, so long in fact I don't enjoying shooting commercial stuff however I do so on occasion to obtain brass. It's worth the effort when you learn to tailor your loads to the gun, so count me pro reloading it brings so much more to the sport of firearms.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
speedracer211

Go for it. I started on a lee turret kit from www.kempfgunshop.com and a year after that got into casting. I havent bought factory ammo or bullets in a long time. The only components I buy now are ww's, powder and primers.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:06 PM   #10
CraigC

Quote:
For handgun, you need to cast your own bullets to make it a savings.
I have to strongly disagree with that statement. If I was buying ammo to feed my sixguns it would be at least $40 per box of 50rds. The other day I looked at Black Hills cowboy ammo that was over fifty bucks a box. I can reload pretty much any of them for $7-$8 per 50, buying commercial cast bullets. Made just as much sense back when I could buy ammo at $20 a box and reload them for $4-$5 per 50.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Colorado Redneck

Reloading becomes a sickness that you can't control

I inherited the loading equipment from my wife's grampa. RCBS Rockchucker and scale and some good equipment. Started on 38 special and 357 mag. Then it went to a .270 for prairie dogs (too much gun but shot a lot anyway) and big game. Then a 25-06. Then a 22-250. Then a 22 Hornet. Then a 44mag. Dayamn! And it is darn near all I do in my spare time.

My wife was out of state for three weeks in July (new grandaughter) and nearly every evening was spent feverishly reloading 22 hornet and 22-250 and all weekend days were shooting prairie dogs.

So, a word of warning....get ready to have a lot of fun and become a sicko like the rest of us. You will never look back with regret.

This forum is a great place to get help (and I have made many mistakes but also avoided many more by reading this forum...the people are the best!)
Old September 7, 2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Kyo

yea, I don't want to pay 25 bucks a box for 50 shots of 45 auto. It was irritating me. So, I started reloading. I go to bullseye in lawrenceville to test my loads out and they have been pretty good.
I spent about 300 bucks to start off with a Lee deluxe turret kit and all the supplies to pump out some rounds. I have loaded around 500 rounds and its well worth it to me. After a few thousand, the equipment will pay itself off. If you shoot more, then it will go by faster.
But in the long run, I know I will save tons of money by reloading instead of paying the range to pay Atlanta Arms and Ammo to reload for me. Its the same exact thing. So why pay 50 cents a shot when you can do like 15 or less
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Rich Keagy

A 'second' opinion

Steve: RCBS offers product 'seconds'. The one I bought had some scratched paint. I don't notice anymore. (I've had the press for about a month.)
I save quite a bit (a Benjamin) by buying this cosmetically-challenged. Full guarantee, customer support, boxed stuff that comes with their regular production.
My press has a little "2nd" stamped on the top where you screw the dies in.
Works great!
The $ left over went for CCI primers Unique powder and Silver State bullets.)
Old September 7, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
buffalo

You can get a pretty nice Lyman T-mag II Turret press kit from Basspro for $299,it's a pretty nice one,i just got one myself. Besides that though you will have the cost of the dies which varies depending where you get them,primers,brass,bullets,powder and i also bought a hand held RCBS universal primer which i think is well worth the price which isn't that much. All said and done in order to start reloading my .45's i spent around $500-$600. In the long run though it's well worth the initial investment.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:30 PM   #15
bignz

I keep careful track of all expenses in a spreadsheet. It took my about $1200 in both equipment and mostly components before I crossed the "paid for itself" line. It actually took quite a bit of calculating. All the costs of equipment represented as a negative number + current cost for a reloaded round in caliber 1, which is the number of rounds reloaded/cost of componants and get from that the cost savings over an average factory round+caliber 2+caliber 3...
If you start figuring in a time componant to your costs, it may be very hard to have it pay off.

But...I can't shoot all the time and want my hobby to extend beyond the hour or two at the range. I wouldn't reload but for all the fun I have doing it and the quality of the ammo I produce. If I save some money, great.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Claude Clay

cabals near you? or midwayusa.com for a lee turret kit at $109. add a balance beam scale and a bunch of odds & ends with 2 sets of lee dies
all for about $300.Lyman 49 edition [$20} is very necessary.

good luck

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 7, 2009, 10:53 PM   #17
steve k

wow, thanks for all the great input guys im definately going to check the sticky at the top (that I didnt see until after my post). And I think that I will give the reloading thing a shot. Ive heard alot of good things about it and you guys have been very helpful thanks again

steve
Old September 7, 2009, 10:56 PM   #18
rc

Reloading can be a good thing but it will take a lot of time and take time away from family and friends. In the end you will spend more money testing but will likely have a more accurate gun. If you mainly want enough to hunt just buy it. If you want to regularly target shoot centerfire, start loading.
Old September 7, 2009, 11:27 PM   #19
Alpha Centauri

I'll second Seven's comments.

Depending on the number of cartridge types that you shoot, you could be pushing a the better part grand just for good equipment. (I mean everything).

Then toss in primers, bullets, cleaning media, lubricant, and powder.

Big startup bucks. But...

I can cook up Hornady .30-30 160 grain LeverEvolution rounds for this much money:

Primer: 3.4 cents
Powder: 22.7 grains -> 6.5 cents
Hornady 160 grain FTX .308 bullet -> 27 cents

Add it up: 3.4+6.5+27 = 36.9 cents

A box of 20? $7.38

Good luck finding a box under $24 with tax.

So, if you shoot a lot, it's worth it. Also, when you do locate 2,000 large rifle primers for 65-70 bucks, and 8 pounds of powder, and 2,000 bullets, you're looking at 100 boxes of rifle ammo.

In other words, you can shoot like there's no tomorrow.

Plus, did I tell it that it's a lot of fun?
Old September 7, 2009, 11:45 PM   #20
buffalo

The amount of time it takes up was a good point,it does take alot of time and your wife or gf is gonna get ****** at times but long as you can deal with that it is alot of fun.
Old September 7, 2009, 11:59 PM   #21
Dr. Strangelove

Is it worth reloading?

How much do you shoot? If it's only a few boxes (20 rounds per) a year, I wouldn't fool with it; you'll just be frustrated.

I load 139gr Hornady Super Shock Tip 7mm Rem Mag for $10.00 a box, not counting brass cost, dies, press, etc.. A commercially loaded box of the same ammo locally is $35-$40.00, so there is a huge savings.

I've owned my equipment for years and enjoy reloading as a hobby, so my costs are much lower than someone just getting into the game. It's fun, easy, and a great hobby, but if you only wish to save money, you are probably getting into it for the wrong reason.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:58 PM   #22
Blue Grass

Sunday, I loaded 300 .45 ACP's. Yesterday, I loaded 300 .38 Spl's. This evening, I'll load some .243's. I've been reloading since 1974. I've come to enjoy reloading as much as shooting. You can devote a few hours a week if you want or a few hours a day. The other guys are right that you won't save money. You'll still spend about as much per week on components as you do on factory ammo but you'll get to shoot a lot more. Also, you'll have better ammo than you can buy,in most cases, and you'll get tremendous satisfaction shooting your own loads. Good luck.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:20 PM   #23
shepherddogs

I save tons of $ by reloading. I also cast my own bullets where practical. Add this up .03 for a primer, free brass I've saved or picked up, Maybe a penny for lead, maybe 15 cents per powder charge and 3 cents for a gas check. Component prices are high right now but that comes to around $4.40 for a box of 30-30s. Try that at Walmart if they even have any. I've stored up about 600 lbs of lead ingots that I might have $30.00 in. Whenever I buy tires I ask for weights and usually they give em away or charge a couple bucks. Pistol ammo is even cheaper to reload. Usually no need for a gas check and much lighter powder charges. I never buy factory ammo except to carry for SD.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:10 PM   #24
EmptyHull

Buy the components in bulk if you can. It will save you alot of coin. I love to reload. It is my therapy if you will. There is a certain satisfaction in shooting skeet, punching paper or dropping your favorite game with shells that you have produced. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Tim
Old September 8, 2009, 05:19 PM   #25
Edward429451

Of course you should reload!

Starting to cast isn't something better left until later. Start it now. One mould, one bullet. Just the basics at least. It is a different thing altogether and there really isn't all that much to it, it may seem so on the boards because it is nit picked to death in detail but it isn't hard.

You can learn two things at once! Remember learning to walk and chew gum at the same time?! Different activities! Learning to reload and shoot at the same time? Hmmm better put one of those off, sic!!!

You can do it!!!!