The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 8, 2007, 04:19 PM   #1
marcseatac

Lyman Deerslayer

I just ordered a Stainless Lyman Deerslayer .54 cal (1 in 48 twist) from Midsouth Shooters Supply. It is backordered. The price was unreal $311.00 much cheaper than anywhere else. I'm hoping it ships before the middle of Nov, for some serious rainy weather deer hunting.

Tell me something about this rifle anyone who has any experience with it. I really want to try some big conicals in this thing.
Old September 9, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2
arcticap

What's nice about the .54 is that you can use the appropriate size .54 sabots and choose between shooting .430 bullets (.44 magnum), .45 bullets (.45-70), 50 cal. bullets (conicals), or just shoot straight 54 conicals & PRB's.

Shooting patched round balls should be fun compared to shooting conicals due to their additional recoil when loaded with heavy hunting charges. Enjoy!
Old September 9, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3
marcseatac

You make a great point and one that I had not considered on all those combinations. This is going to be fun! All I need to do now is get my hands on it! The site is expecting some in middle of Sept and they said they would fill the backorders first so I had to get on the list for the backorder. What we don't know is how deep is the BO list? It will certainly give me something to look forward to. Thanks Arcticap!
Old September 11, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Pahoo

I have been waiting to see and hold one as the pictures look good. If these are anyting like their other rifles, I own a trade rifle, they should be worth the money. Please let me know what you think when you have yours and how it shoots. It should shoot well with patched round ball if you don't try to drive it too fast ..... Pahoo
Old September 12, 2007, 12:32 PM   #5
marcseatac

I'll let you know when it comes!
Old September 25, 2007, 09:10 PM   #6
marcseatac

Midsouth sent me an email. It shipped and should arrive Friday. Woo Hoo pic's to follow.
Old September 26, 2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Pahoo

Fantastic and Look her over and let me know what you think. Been to a couple of gun show and so far no one has or even seen one. Thanks for your feedback. I'm curious as to how well it's finished. If is passes your inspection, I will probably buy one. ..... Pahoo
Old September 28, 2007, 03:11 PM   #8
marcseatac

I think the best way to describe it, is a Lyman Great Plains Carbine.

I love it. Nicest natural pointing hunting rifle I have ever shouldered. Balance is perfect. Sights are modern, white dot in front. Fit and finish perfect and the trigger is a dream. Had I bought this rifle first then I have 4 BP guns I would not have purchased. If it is accurate then I have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Old September 28, 2007, 03:26 PM   #9
Pahoo

For the most part, I like what I see and I thank you for the great pictures. Sure would have liked seeing a metal buttplate but can certainly live with what I see. I like my Lyman trade rifle and like the Carbine length as well. I'll let you know when and if I get one, Probably will. Did you know that Lyman will give a discount for conservation groups and instructors? Take care and enjoy !!!!
Old September 28, 2007, 03:37 PM   #10
marcseatac

Thanks. The rear sight is a folding leaf sight. It has elevation marks painted in white. The stock is really nice (not a single scratch) the finish reminds me of polycoat. It should be good in damp weather. The butt pad is soft rubber and comfortable. All the quirks the GPR has are eliminated on this model. The barrel is not too long, there isn't too much triggerguard stuff. The drop is way reduced and overall it carries like a rifle under 7 lbs. It has a Polypropelene ramrod. Can't wait to put a sling on it and take her to the range.

Not trying to bash the Great Plains Rifle as I own one and like it too, but I don't want to take it out in the rain if I can help it.

Last edited by marcseatac; September 29, 2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old September 30, 2007, 02:17 AM   #11
arcticap

The matte stainless looks great contrasting against the wood, beautiful features all around. Pix too.
That's quite a gun for the price!
Old September 30, 2007, 05:42 AM   #12
marcseatac

Thanks articap, here are a few more. I was surprised the stock has the raised cheek like the Plains Rifle wanted to show the other side. I missed that first time around. I also took a couple close shots of the rear sight. It has a white triangle that corresponds with the white dot on the front sight. really clever. I made one mistake in my OP, it's not Deerslayer it's Deerstalker. Freudian slip or something.

Also note the drill and tap for Lymans tang mount sight.

Old September 30, 2007, 07:07 AM   #13
mykeal

That really is a beautiful rifle.

I admit to being a bit snobbish in my own personal choices - my sidelocks are limited to browned barrels just because I think they should be. I try not to voice that opinion because I know it's not based on any good common sense, but I figure since it's my money I can let it influence what I buy.

However, this rifle, and these fine pictures, may have finally made me loosen up that somewhat chauvinistic attitude. I could see having one of these.

Very, very nice. Thanks for the posting.
Old September 30, 2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Pahoo

Marc,
Just noticed the tang on the last pic you sent. I have a set of Lyman peep sights, rear and front, mounted on my T.C. Hawken that will fit this new beauty. That's another plus in my book. Have a gun show this weekend and If I don't see one there, will order one. Again, I want to thank you for those fine pics. You should get a rebate for all this great advertising. ... Pahoo
Old October 1, 2007, 12:45 AM   #15
marcseatac

Thanks guys. Here's a better shot of the contour of the left side of the stock. It really has the look of the Great Plains Rifle even though it has been "modernized". Now what do I do with all those other cheap inlines I thought I wanted? LOL

Old October 1, 2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Shotgun Willy

Cheap inlines

Well, you could drive them muzzle first into the ground and use the plastic stocks as insulated fence posts for an electric fence.
Old October 2, 2007, 08:24 PM   #17
arcticap

I love the cheekpiece, but the right side of the tang doesn't look like it's been inletted to be flush with the stock.
Is it because the tang is so thick or is it just plain uneven and made to be that way?
Although it remainds me of a TC Gray Wolf, it still costs way less than any new production (non-stainless) TC with a wood stock.
The high tang & inletting doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you.
Yours has some beautiful wood though.
Italians!

Last edited by arcticap; October 2, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 05:22 AM   #18
marcseatac

I agree with you the inletting could be better. The Tang is pretty thick. Pulled out my GPR and they are similar with the inletting being slightly better on the GPR. Could be better on both actually. I think the picture makes it look worse than it is to a degree. The pic doesn't show the 45 degree bevel on both sides of the tang. Improved version below. My camera does weird things on the macro setting.

(Those Italians think of everything! They inletted it like that sooo's I can wipe the water out easy.) Nice of them to do that for me. Ha Ha

If I have a complaint, It's that I think the cap on the forearm is aluminum. Mainly because it's lighter color than the stainless. Might be why it feels so light in total. I like that it isn't pinned in one spot like the GPR where it actually pivots on the pin. This has 2 screws mounted into the stock from the front going back and it feels really solid. If it's aluminum, it should darken with age. We'll see.

My plan with this rifle is shooting the big conicals. Was comparing barrel lengths in .54 cal in the Black Powder loading handbook and noticed that barrel length doesn't seem to be a factor shooting the big slugs. If you go 70 grains you get about 1200fps at muzzle and 900fps at 100yds and around a 1000 foot pounds also at 100yds. Pretty good compared to round ball. If you go up in powder all that increases is breech pressure. You really don't get much more fps or energy. I just got some .54 cal, 348 grain Powerbelts lead HP, Hornady Great Plains 390 grain and some TC Maxi Hunters in 435 grain. I'm going to try them all at 70 grains of Triple Seven FFg and shoot for accuracy. Friday I hope. Opening day is Saturday. It has rained everyday for the last week and we got more coming. Happens every year in western Washington. I'll let you know how it does with this bullet combo. Stay tuned!

Last edited by marcseatac; October 3, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 03:15 PM   #19
marcseatac

Bump, added pic.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:57 PM   #20
Hawg

Get some original style Minies and you'll forget all about all those others.
Old October 3, 2007, 07:11 PM   #21
kayakersteve

That's a nice looking gun - Looks well balanced
Old October 4, 2007, 12:52 AM   #22
arcticap

Quote:
(Those Italians think of everything! They inletted it like that sooo's I can wipe the water out easy.)
Now that I can see the bevel, it does look better when looking down from the top angle.
Old October 4, 2007, 05:30 AM   #23
marcseatac

On the original style minies, will do. Dixie have them?
Old October 4, 2007, 09:25 AM   #24
arcticap

I don't know about Dixie, but they do have some at Track of the Wolf:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rp0...=25&styleID=65
Old October 5, 2007, 06:44 PM   #25
marcseatac

Did a little shooting today. Triple Sev FFg (65 grains load) RWS magnum #11 caps.

Shot Buffalo Ball-ets 310 gr, 530 Speer round ball, Hornady Great Plains bullets 390 gr, TC Maxi Hunter 435 gr.

I shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 rounds. Good ignition, all went on the first try only 2 click booms.

The round ball was minute of grapefruit and surprisingly the Buffalo Ball-ets shot equally well no difference. They shot a little low in the target.

The Hornadys for only 65 grains of powder kicked pretty good. They strung vertically a little too wide for me.

The clear winner was TC Maxi Hunters. Shooting at 50 yds I had a 2 1/2 group of 5. So I put a clean target up to get the money shot and I blew it. Still pretty good.

I then took it out 110 yards and hit the box respectably, right where it shot at 50yds elevation wise. For the very first time out I'm real happy. It was very consistant.