The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 22, 2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Wrothgar

I don't have a 9mm, but I keep an eye on it to "monitor the market." I've not seen any 9mm for some time, other than some expensive JHPs. I've seen plenty of .40 and .45 ACP. I haven't seen any .223 for about 3 weeks, put a 200 round case on backorder at Cabelas. Oddly enough, its almost impossible to find any .308 around here either. Occasionally you find some very expensive hunting ammo, but its few and far between. No cheap or bulk .308 at all.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:37 PM   #27
zincwarrior

Hey those Zombies are REAL man!
Old January 22, 2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Lordy123

If they are I might be screwed. O_o I'm down to one box of 9mm, two boxes of .38, and two boxes of .357. I won't be shooting in February if these prices don't come down!
Old January 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #29
Gaerek

I can't find any 9mm at a reasonable price to save my life. The place I usually buy it, didn't jack up their prices (manager told me they're not in business to screw their customers) due to the panic, and now they're completely out (and also completely out of .223, and .45, and down to their last 40 boxes of .38, though still plenty of .40). There's a Sportsman's Warehouse that is completely out of any popular caliber (.22LR, .223, 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45). The only place I've found that has any ammo left at all has jacked prices of all ammo by 50-60% (So, Blazer Brass is around $22 a box, 9mm...usually I can find it for around $14).

I'm just glad I stocked up a couple weeks before the panic. If I ration my ammo, I should have plenty for 5 or 6 months without replenishing. With luck, by then, this stupid panic will be over.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:03 PM   #30
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP View Post

but how many rounds of 9mm you can put in a mag....has nothing to do with the cost of 9mm ammo (retail 9mm target ammo - has gone from $ 10 for a box of 50 a month or so ago, to between $ 20 - $ 24 a box yesterday in my area )...that has nothing to do with overhead costs of the mfg's ...that's the wholesalers - and the retailers - gouging the customers ! ( us !! ) ...if we let them ...
I don't think so. Around here at least there are two kinds of shops, those that have high ammo prices and those with empty shelves. To me this suggests that the increased prices are a legitimate response to high demand.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old January 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #31
SgtLumpy

Local Big-5 today.

Two boxes of 45ACP. 4 boxes of 40. Two boxes of .380 that a couple was buying. That was all the pistol.

Rifle ammo I saw some 303 something, I'm not real familiar with that cal.

No 22, 38/357 or 9.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #32
Justice06RR

Quote:
That's the penalty for not "being prepared".
If you had the funds to "go home and backorder everything you might need for the next 5 years" last week, you probably had the resources to have that much on hand. I feel no sympathy for those who CHOSE not to stock up on ammo prior to the current buying frenzy. In fact, it pizzes me off that those folks are causing ME problems keeping my stock at my prescribed levels.
Not only ammo but reloading components have been affected and likely will be for several months or more.
You shouldn't be mad at everyone, but Obama and the anti-gun parts of the government.

Many of these panic buyers are new to firearms, or your casual shooters that did not have a need for such amount of ammo than your occasional box or 2 per month.

The problem is that now everyone is looking to buy ammo simultaneously so that effect is compounded, vs when it was relaxed last year. No one could've really predicted the events that happend in Sandy Hook and others.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #33
orionengnr

Quote:
I Can understand 9MM, and 223, but why the overwhelming run on 22 rimfire?
Same exact thing as happened four years ago. I've seen plenty of posts over the last six-eight weeks saying "I went to my LGS/WM/what-have-you and they only had XX boxes of YY, so I bought it all."

Quote:
No one could've really predicted the events that happend in Sandy Hook and others.
Unfortunately, school shootings and the like happen, and will continue to happen as long as the "gun-free zone" stupidity remains. It was just a matter of time before the right one happened, and good old Rahm's policy (you never want to let a good crisis go to waste) was put into action. It was utterly predictable that the Big O would take his shot somewhere in his second term.

Last edited by orionengnr; January 22, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:18 PM   #34
STW

We went out Saturday just to see what we could see. One of the less popular stores in town had both large pistol primers and .22 ammo at a price close to what I last purchased. I bought 1000 of one and a brick of the other. Their .223 ammo was twice what I last paid. Another, ranch type, store had cases and cases of 9mm at a fairly normal price and a bit of .45 and .40. Almost made me wish I needed some. Except for bullets I'm good for a year or so on most everything so it's been interesting to stand apart from the panic and just watch.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #35
Wrothgar

Anyone else having difficulty finding .308? Even Midway seems to be pretty much out.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:29 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't call me unprepared...
But I am in a bind...

I am down to sub 2,000 .22lr and that is a scary low number...
For me anyway...

I went and shot up all of my 20 gauge buck #3 and am now relegated to slugs, #4 bird, #6 bird and 7 1/2 promo loads...

Don't, for one little second, think my place is not properly armed... Sucks for the crows that I will use 7 1/2 on them... Sucks for the feral dogs and coyotes that they will soak up #4 bird rather than the #3 buck I prefer to use... and them dern feral cats will have to carry off a low value payload like bent and dent 7.5 promo pack junk... But they have no "kill value" to me so i use my "no kill value" rounds... .22lr under 2k round count has me holding them gems close to the vest...

Brent
Old January 23, 2013, 01:57 AM   #37
Redhawk5.5+P+

This is how I feel about this whole thing.

Pic is not me, but it makes a point.

Sorry, NOT!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cigar happy look.jpg (19.2 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; January 23, 2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:57 AM   #38
stephen426

I stockpile ammo whenever I see a good deal. I can't see myself paying these jacked up prices on regular pistol ammo. As for assault weapons and ammo for them, I can totally understand the run. The dems have been pushing for more gun control and the Sandy Hook tragedy certainly gave them a lot of ammo. This is my guess for what they will try to do:

1. Close gun show loop hole - all transfers need background check
2. Ban the sale of assault weapons or require class 3 permits (AR-15, AK-47)
3. Make transfer of assault weapons illegal (turn in upon death of owner)
4. Severely tax ammo to "defray medical costs" that guns cost
5. Prohibit the sale of assault weapon calibers (.223, 7.62x39)
6. Reinstate the 10 round mag limit. Transfer of high cap mags banned.

I imagine they may try to push for more, but I can totally see them passing these laws after Sandy Hook and the Aurora Theaters shooting. I am not overly concerned about pistol ammo although I can see future prices going up due to taxes. I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm and .45 acp. I have hundred of rounds of pretty much everything else. My only concern is .223 ammo. Maybe it would be a wise investment to buy a 9mm upper for my AR!

I have to admit that I'm not shooting nearly as much as I used to. Finding ammo at a reasonable price to replenish my supply is the main reason. I think I'm going to practice a lot more with air soft for now.

Last edited by stephen426; January 23, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:12 AM   #39
JimmyR

I have been lucky enough to have an LGS that has some Lawman 9mm target ammo for $16 a box. They set a cap of 2 boxes a day on that stuff, but I have been stocking up for the past few weeks. Not a whole lot, just a couple hundred rounds. Prob gonna go grab another hundred tomo.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:47 AM   #40
Gaerek

Quote:
It was utterly predictable that the Big O would take his shot somewhere in his second term.
Technically, he did it all during his first term. Something that I bring up to the couple of Obama voting gun owners I know who were just sure Obama wasn't going to go after guns during his second term.

I've been telling them, "You're absolutely correct when you said he wouldn't go after guns in his second term...he did it in his first."
Old January 23, 2013, 12:44 PM   #41
Redhawk5.5+P+

It's all my fault!

TBS, who ever I vote for, including the old white haired dude, we all lose. Last time I voted, 2012, nun of the above.

I take full responsibility.

Still, I don't know why Lone Wolf can't deliver promised orders I maid in Oct. 2012! At least now they have in excuse!
Old January 30, 2013, 02:53 PM   #42
Viper99

I have 500 rounds of .556 Federal 55 grain. Would trade for a pistol 9mm of the same price.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:08 PM   #43
Brian48

I stocked up my supply before the panic hit. Every sporting goods and gun shop in and around my area are bare. This is worse than '94 (of which I'm still burning up my stockpile of primers from )
Old January 30, 2013, 08:49 PM   #44
John D

Other than .22, I reload everything I shoot...rifle and pistol. Placed an order with Powder Valley immediately after the CT shootings, anticipating a run on ammo and components. Was able to order everything except small pistol primers. This crazy buying frenzy will pass and the shelves will be jammed with ammo in a few months.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:59 PM   #45
Daggitt

I'm going to buy some more lead for casting. Unless they stop selling powder and primers I'll be fine. I'll need some more 22 lr in a year or two. Just think too. In about 36 months or so BO and Joe will be lameducks on their way out. I hope you all remember that Biden and Hillary have done nothing for Gunowners. Please don't even dream of voting for either one.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:03 AM   #46
j3ffr0

It's funny that nobody is talking about banning or regulating the vast majority of stuff being bought. This is just mass fear, panic, and propaganda. The NRA does us no favor at all when it warns us all that Obama is coming for our guns. All those polarizing types of comments do is add fuel to the panic. The fact is the NRA itself has done more to create this shortage than Obama has done or ever will do.

I'm glad I already had at least a few thousand rounds of .22lr stocked up so the govt doesn't come take it.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:28 AM   #47
nazshooter

J3ffr0: Tell that to the folks in NY.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old January 31, 2013, 03:16 AM   #48
Hammerhead

What's really weird is Russian/Eastern Bloc 7.62 and other assault rifle ammo is in good supply here. A little .223 to be found as well. But .22 ammo has virtually disappeared in the last two weeks. Only Stingers left on the shelves. I guess I fell into the panic as well. I bought 30 boxes of Stingers this morning at $5.29 a box. It's not even my favorite rimfire ammo. The credit card has been taking a pounding lately.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:53 AM   #49
Pyzon

At a couple of small central OH gun shows this past weekend vendors had PMC .223 for sale at $ 800-1000/case of 1000. I asked what they would pay as I had some PMC 5.56 to sell, and the best offer was $300/case.....

Yeah.....
Old January 31, 2013, 12:38 PM   #50
sandbag

Ammoman

I recently found some good deals at Ammoman-I got a case of 1000 Lawman 9mm for $299 delivered and Lawman 45 ACP for $399 delivered-that is hard to beat-although the 45 ACP has gone up $100/1000 since I bought mine a few weeks ago-I'd say they must be paying more-I was able to get some 44 Special and 45 Colt at reasonable prices-that stuff isn't nearly in as much demand as the first two.Well,maybe the Judge/Governor revolvers are driving the 45 Colt a little.44 special just isn't that popular but it is a very versatile round-I like western style single action revolvers so the ammo lasts longer with those.Their shipping was running a little behind,but really not bad if you check some other big online dealers-Graf has a long backup and depleted stock and Georgia Arms seemed to be out of stock on nearly every caliber-due to component shortage-that is coming up again like a few years ago.
Closed Thread