The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinFL
Why does everyone seem to think they are going to get pulled over, stripped searched by the side of the road, and have their car searched by a dog sniffing for ammo?
I am not saying to break the law, but be realistic. If you drive the limit, aren't drinking and generally behave as you traverse, let your conscience be your guide
You aren't saying to break the law? Sure you are, be honest. The only reason for carrying a gun is for self defense. If we could be 100 percent certain there would be no need for self defense while on vacation, of course it would be a simple decision to leave the gun at home

But we can't be certain we won't need it. That's why we take it. So if the ONLY reason you take it is because you might have to use it ... is it really a good idea to equip it with a magazine that you KNOW is illegal in the destination state?
Old January 6, 2013, 08:44 AM   #27
AH.74

Quote:
Why does everyone seem to think they are going to get pulled over, stripped searched by the side of the road, and have their car searched by a dog sniffing for ammo?
I am not saying to break the law, but be realistic. If you drive the limit, aren't drinking and generally behave as you traverse, let your conscience be your guide
This is the second time I have seen someone say these things in so many days regarding this topic. I don't think the argument has merit.

Do you ever plan on getting pulled over?

Do you ever plan on getting into an accident?

Do you ever plan on your vehicle breaking down?

It's not just you- it's other variables which often come into play to ruin your day. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by AH.74; January 6, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:49 AM   #28
MLeake

And, as AB noted, what if you use it to defend yourself?

Suddenly, your defense attorney has a hole in any strategy for portraying you as the clean-cut, law-abiding type - at least as far as that state's firearm laws are concerned.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:40 AM   #29
Smit

If you are the worrisome type, it's best to stay within the law requirements. This would sit in the back of mind and bother me, especially on vacation.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:18 AM   #30
AH.74

Quote:
If you are the worrisome type, it's best to stay within the law requirements.
Actually, if you're the responsible type you care about staying within the law at all times- no matter the circumstances. Worry doesn't even come into play- not breaking the law does.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:33 AM   #31
Lemmon

I don't leave the State of South Carolina....!

No problem to me. I have no real reason to leave the wonderful State of South Carolina. It has nothing to do with not having any money to go any where...

Lemmon
Old January 6, 2013, 11:02 AM   #32
mrt949

I was always told if you play by the rules .You will never have to pay for not obeying them. With all the sturing about hi cap mags. I asked the pluging question. What happened the last time when the the ban was in enforced?
Old January 6, 2013, 11:10 AM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
Because people that Carry plan for the worst.

We also do risk assessments.

Getting pulled over with an item that would make you a felon would be a far greater risk than getting into a gun fight and needing those five extra rounds in the time it would take to do a reload.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:34 AM   #34
AH.74

Quote:
Laws are meant to be broken once in a while right? That's why they exist.
Ridiculous.

No, they're not, and no, that's not why. Good luck with that attitude.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #35
Yung.gunr

I don't understand this notion about it being ok to break laws. Isn't laws being broken by others the very reason a lot of us carry? So if you have this attitude regarding breaking laws then how are you any better than the criminal you are protecting against. I would say you are actually worse because not only are you breaking laws but you are a hypocrite.

I'm done with this thread, buy a 10 round mag and travel with a clear conscience.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:19 PM   #36
ClydeFrog

BigD's post....

I 100% disagree with big Din;
In the summer of 2007, I transported my late mother's vehicle from PA to Florida. I had a valid CC license & I took my Ruger GPNY .38spl with me.
I purchased ammunition in Saltsburg PA(125gr JHPs). When I reached Winchester VA, I was pulled over in a DWI check-point.
I wasn't asked about my firearm & had no problems with the LE officers.
My point is that when you travel, you need to be "street legal". You may have a LE contact even if you did nothing wrong or were being safe.
Cops(mostly state agencies) are big on finding drugs & guns in traffic stops. LE agencies on I-95 in the east know they can make drug arrests or asset forifetures(check spelling).
The best thing to do is to be ready or plan for a traffic stop or LE contact. Stay calm, be polite & don't make threats or be confrontational. Sworn LE officers are mostly concerned with their safety during traffic stops(at night it's even a higher priority).

Clyde