The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
blacksky

Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 Riflescope Long Range Report

Mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 Scope that I picked up from Cabellas for under $200, to my Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223. I used Burris mounts and Extreme Tactical Rings.

After bore sighting the scope I drove out to Mike Williams Piru Gun Range at Lake Piru CA. My favorite place to shoot!

Fired 3 test shots at 50 yards with a few clicks of elevation and windage I was ready for some distance.

5 shot groups each at 2 - 4 - 8 - 10 o'clock.

Then 2 X 5 shot groups on the bullseye.

I was firing Hornady .223 75gr BTHP factory loads.

Everything went as it should on a bluesky and 75 degree day with a 4 - 8 MPH wind running across the range NE to SW.

See attached target...

I then took it out to the Pink Sheep at 400 yards... then the Orange Bear at 600... and ended the day on the Black Gong at 700 yards.

The 400 and 600 yard shots took me 3 tries each with the 700 yard shot taking 6 shots. 2 in the dirt 1.5' short, 1 over the top, 1 to the left and 1 under by an inch.

Quote:
The Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 scope is clear, bright, with excellent field of view and target acquisition, and a good 3" of eye relief. It made doing my part much easier. I would highly recommend this scope to anyone! Get one before they're gone as I hear they have been discontinued... As for Savage Rifles, the name stands for accuracy out of the box!
My last round was dead on!

I love that sound when your spotter says hit and you hear that delayed ring!

I was lucky enough today to have the Range Master Herbie spotting for me. He's a great guy and a lot of fun to work with! A very good day at the range!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4021381.JPG (84.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P4021383.JPG (72.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg P4021382.JPG (61.5 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by blacksky; February 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Change title of thread please!
Old February 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
blacksky

176 views and no replies???

Is there any one out there???
Old February 9, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
mdd

I have a 6-24x40 Bushnell 4200 and am pleased with it. Got it on closeout from midway USA some time back. I agree they are very clear scopes. I have several leupold vx-II scopes and it is every bit as clear as the leupolds. I still prefer the leupolds because I have not heard a lot of positives about bushnell's customer service and warranty handling. I bought my 4200 though because the price was too good to turn down.
Old February 9, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

They're decent scopes, I have two of them. I'm not sure if they're ever going to be "discontinued" since Cabela's seems to have a never ending supply of them, even when taking backorders. FYI, 3" of eye relief isn't a lot. On any hard kicking gun you will soon realize it isn't enough.
Quote:
I have a 6-24x40 Bushnell 4200 and am pleased with it. Got it on closeout from midway USA some time back. I agree they are very clear scopes. I have several leupold vx-II scopes and it is every bit as clear as the leupolds. I still prefer the leupolds because I have not heard a lot of positives about bushnell's customer service and warranty handling. I bought my 4200 though because the price was too good to turn down.
As far as Bushnell's warranty, listen to this: I bought a new Elite 6500 mil dot last Spring and found that it really wasn't good for me. Great scope, very repeatable, super clear. Problem was, my very mild cataracts weren't letting me see the dots when aiming into darker areas from bright lit areas. That was just me, not the scope (old age). I called Bushnell and told them what my problem was. They said to send it back along with my original sales receipt (I bought it on line from a place in California). Four weeks later I got a full refund for my purchase price. What more could they do? I've never had customer service that good. Never!!!
Old February 9, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
AlBundy

Dang, you hit the bullseye in the bullseye lol. I've heard really good things about the Bushnell Elite scopes. A bolt action .223 is on my "to get" list but it's gunna be a while unfortunately. I think it's a great bolt action caliber, especially if you have an AR too because then you only have to stock one caliber. I would also have a .308 or a 30-06 though for when(er ... I mean if) the SHTF, but it's great for cheaper and less punishing practice and could definitely get the job done if need be.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
p5200

I love everything about my Elite 4200 8x32x40 except, the limited adjustment range. I've never tried to adjust a 6x24 or any of the other model 4200s they may have more adjustment range.
Old February 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #7
TPAW

I have one on my .308 Savage FP10. Love it.
Old February 10, 2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Saltydog235

Got two of the 2.5X10X50 Ill #4 versions, excellent hunting scopes , tough as nails.
Old February 10, 2012, 08:10 AM   #9
hydroholic

I have Bushnell elite on my .300WM , and although it may not be considred a big bore rifle , the elite has plenty of eye relief when it comes to shooting it. Actually has better eye relief than my Meopta or my Leupold.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:04 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I have Bushnell elite on my .300WM , and although it may not be considred a big bore rifle , the elite has plenty of eye relief when it comes to shooting it. Actually has better eye relief than my Meopta or my Leupold.
Different models of each have different eye relief. You need to compare apples to apples. I just bought a Leupold with over 4" of eye relief and I own a Bushnell with just over 3" of eye relief. However, Bushnell makes scopes with more and Leupold makes scopes with less. Bushnell has more than one Elite series of scope: 3200, 4200. 6500
Old February 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #11
tobnpr

My son's first rifle (and still one of his favorites) is a .223 Rem 700 with a 5-15x Bushy 3200 that was recommended with it at the LGS where we purchased it.

I like the scope. Eye relief is a bit unforgiving, but glass is clear and no issues with tracking or holding zero.

My only other gripe is the turrets; they are "finger adjustable", but just barely and small, tough to do by hand. Seems to be more of a scope for a hunter to "set and forget" vs. a target style where you'd be dialing a lot of adjustments during the day.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
armoredman

I have a 3-9 Bushnell Sportsman Elite on my 527M, and it works well, just too big for the rifle. Gonna replace it with a Redfield Revolution 2-7,and put the Bushy in stand by mode.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Roger G

Variable vs Fixed

I dont want to wander to far here but I would like a few thoughts on Variables vs Fixed. I had a Weaver 10k years ago and it did very well out to about 300 yrds as I recall. I just bought an old 10K out of a collection and wondered if I wasted my money (75).I have not been shooting for years and need to catch up. I'm hoping to score a decent 22-250 soon I hope.
THANKS GUYS
ROGER
Old February 10, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I have a 3-9 Bushnell Sportsman Elite on my 527M, and it works well, just too big for the rifle. Gonna replace it with a Redfield Revolution 2-7,and put the Bushy in stand by mode.
I don't believe the Sportsman scope was an Elite scope. I think it was part of the Trophy line of scopes. Quite a ways down the price scale. Not a bad scope for the price but it isn't in the same line.
Old February 10, 2012, 03:24 PM   #15
blacksky

Not as a Leupold is better than Bushnell with more eye relief thread!

I started this thread as a review of the Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 Riflescope, mounted on a Savage Model 12 BTCSS Rifle in .223 caliber.

Quote:
Not as a Leupold is better than Bushnell with more eye relief.
As stated the 3" of eye relief that the Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 Riflescope provides was more than enough for this application!

I previously had a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 mounted and actually like the Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 better on this rifle!
Old February 11, 2012, 09:56 AM   #16
hydroholic

Sorry about the no number reference on the elite, have posted on this subject recently and just got use to refering to mine as an elite. The ones I have are 6500's although I do have an elite 3200 firefly reticle as well. Eye relief on all seem fine for the rifles they are mounted on and not downing the Leupold scopes because I do like the one I have, but just like the bushnells a little better, yes even the 3200 firefly. My point was that even with 3" of eye relief, which if I am not mistaken is what my 3200 has, is plenty even on the bigger rifles unless you just are not holding on to your rifle tight enough. I originaly had the 3200 on my 300WM before I bought the first 6500. Never had an issue concerning eye relief. I know this is not a Bushnell v/s Leupold thread, just comparing my experience with the Leupold scope I have to the Bushnells I have on the statement above concerning eye relief on bigger rifles. And yes, I guess I did say above that I do like the bushnells a little better,but its just due to the fact that they are less pricey than the other, and to me just as good as the other but not nessesarily better. Sorry for the confusion. And to avoid further confusion my Leupold that I am comparing to is the 3X-VL 3.5-10x50 with the illuminated reticle. Very nice scope but, a lot more dinero, and as I said above to me no better than my Bushnells.

Last edited by hydroholic; February 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:09 AM   #17
blacksky

Bushnell is just the best bang for the buck!

Leaupold makes some fine scopes in fact some of the finest!

But... IMO... You can't beat the clarity, field of view, target acquistion and eye relief that Bushnell offers, along with their warranty for the price.

Using a scope is a relative point to the application that it is being used for.

I was so impressed with the performance that I found in the Elite 4200 3X9X40 at such long distance shooting a .223 bolt rifle, that I felt a need to post this thread.

All of this for under $200.00! Let's just say that I am now a Bushnell fan!
Old February 13, 2012, 12:49 AM   #18
armoredman

When I take it off to put the Redfield on I'll let you know exactly which one it is.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
hagar

I have 2 good Bushnell scopes, one on a Tikka M65 ISU rifle and another on a custom bull barrel 7mm-08, but both of them with a 200 yard zero max out on elevation at about 700 yards. A little dissappointing, because I'd love to shoot them at 1000 yards without having to change to a 20mm base. Bases/rings for the Tikka is impossible to find, it uses a mount similar, but not exact, to a Weaver mount, and the Tikka T3 rings are not even close.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:54 PM   #20
ronl

I picked up a Bushnell Elite limited edition 3x9x40SF to top off an AR build that should come together this week. The clarity of the scope is very impressive, especially considering the price. 55 MOA elevation in the tube. All the knobs have just the right amount of resistance. Focus ring adjustment has very good feel to it. Side focus knob is smooth. Eye relief is more than adequate for the rifle. Just about the only fault I can find in the scope is that the clicks are not audible, but they do have a good tactile feel to them. I think it is one of the better scopes for the money I've found out there, which is good for me, but bad for those coyotes.
Old September 19, 2014, 08:43 PM   #21
the blur

Are your Elite 4200's still accurate ? My rifle started having serious problems. Won't group at all. I have blamed the Elite scope yet, but I'm getting close.
Old September 19, 2014, 09:40 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Are your Elite 4200's still accurate ? My rifle started having serious problems. Won't group at all. I have blamed the Elite scope yet, but I'm getting close.
Mine crapped all over itself. (3-9x40mm)

To begin with, it was nowhere near as good as Bushnell and all of the reviewers made it out to be. It wasn't as crisp or clear as the scopes it competed with, nor was its low-light ability all that great. They look great in stores, but not in the real world.

And, when the zero started wandering and and the windage turret detent stopped working, I was done.
I made Bushnell eat it and give me a refund. I already hated the scope. There was no point in repairing it, just to still be dissatisfied. Only a refund would make it better.

My thoughts, as of about 6 months prior to this thread's original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
The only nice thing I can say about my 4200 Elite, is that Bushnell is supposed to have a refund check on its way to me. The 3200 and 4200 series are not worth the price. I thought my 4200 was pretty decent, initially... ...but began hating the scope, the longer I had it, and the more I used it in field conditions. Clarity and light transmission just weren't up to what a scope of that price should have. In addition, my 4200 had a wandering zero...
It's a low quality $150 scope with half-decent glass, but priced as a $450 scope with excellent glass.
Old September 20, 2014, 08:43 AM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

After two and a half years, odds are that the OP has dealt with any and all problems.
Closed Thread