The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 10:12 AM   #1
rifleman8

bad magazine

I recently bought a CZ82 which came with two magazines. It functions flawlessly with one mag, but the other barely works. On almost every round I put through it, the slide wouldn't return to battery. A round would be stuck halfway out of the magazine, and I would have to push the slide forward to chamber a round. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the magazine lips were so tight they would actually score the sides of the case. Can this magazine be fixed so it will feed reliably? Any ideas on how to do it?
Old February 5, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Babyfacenelson

Im no expert so please take this with a grain of salt.
I'd say simply compare, maybe actually measure the distance between the lips of the working mag, and the defective one.
Then adjust the defective lips accordingly.

Or buy a new mag
Old February 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Try adjusting the feed lips, as suggested above.

When you do, use some fine sandpaper and smooth the underside of the feed lips and their edges. It can't hurt. If one mag works properly and the other doesn't, you should try to make the one that doesn't work properly LOOK LIKE the one that does work right -- same feed lip gap, etc.

Finding replacement mags may be a problem -- but they MAY be available from CZ-USA.

I think Wolff now has mag springs for the CZ-82/CZ-83 -- but springs don't seem to be the main problem in this case. Most of the mags I've seen offered have been used mags, and that's often like buying a pig in a poke... It might be worth you while to order the mag springs, anyway as you can bet they haven't EVER been replaced. (Of course, while some mags sold are used, other mags sold with the gun may not have been used much... Some of the CZ-82s I've seen show wear and others look unfired.)

Had the problem (the failure to feed properly and to not close the slide) occurred with BOTH mags, I would have suggested a new recoil spring, but when one mag works and the other doesn't, you look to the mags themselves...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
LarryFlew

82 and 83 mags are the same so I'm guessing you have one that is not the right caliber. 380 and Mak should be fine with the same mag but the .32 will have the problem you describe. Try the adjusting as mentioned - nothing to lose. Had the opposite problem. Bought an 83 with 2 mags one was for 380/Mak and would not feed .32. Bending the lips eventually solved the problem.