The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 31, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Car carry in Tennessee

I don't have my ccw yet (it's being processed) and I have to travel through Tennessee. From what I have read, you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car in TN without a ccw permit. Assuming that is correct, what if it is unloaded but you have a loaded magazine closeby. I don't recall seeing anything regarding that in the TN statute. I know that in Ohio that you cannot even have a loaded magazine in the same car with a gun it fits without a permit.

Does anybody know how that works in TN
Old March 31, 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
chadk7

You can transport a handgun through Tennessee either unloaded and in plain view or unloaded and cased in the trunk or outside storage.
Old March 31, 2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Roland Thunder

Quote:
You can transport a handgun through Tennessee either unloaded and in plain view or unloaded and cased in the trunk or outside storage.
How about a loaded clip that fits the gun
Old March 31, 2011, 03:48 PM   #4
chadk7

Here's a link its pretty helpful and states the laws in ways that you can actually understand.

http://www.allstays.com/Features/gun...-travel-guide/

I was wondering the same thing last week when traveling to Arkansas. The best advice I have when traveling is to just be smart. Don't speed or do anything stupid that can possibly get you pulled over. You never know how someone is going to react if they figure out you have a gun. And also gun laws change from time to time so I am always very cautious when traveling.

If I was you I would keep the gun in the case In the trunk with the magazines unloaded. Also maybe keep the ammo separate like in the glovebox or something. If you need to stop for gas or food park in well lit areas where there are plenty of people around since you can't carry.

I hope this helps
Old March 31, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
willrussellville

TN link

Here is alink you might find helpful.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf
Old March 31, 2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Roland Thunder

I found this document regarding the statutes for different states. Apparently, in TN, you can have the ammunition in the car with an unloaded gun so long as the ammo it is out of reach, see below:

Probably, as you suggest, erring on the side of caution is best. I hope to have my CCW before I travel and it will be a mute point as TN and GA are reciprocal.

Thanks for responding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TN.jpg (69.7 KB, 748 views)
Old March 31, 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
chadk7

No problem. Have a safe trip.
Old March 31, 2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource for those road trips.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #9
patrickmn

So I can carry my unloaded gun in the seat beside you, but I can't carry it in a case under the back seat? That seems backwards. Then I read "on or about the person," which I sounds to me like having them unloaded in a gun case under the back seat and out of reach with the ammo in another location.

My understanding has always been that guns in closed cases and ammo in another container was sufficient, but I might be wrong. Now I'm wondering if it is even legal to transport a cased gun in an extended cab pickup at all. I just don't like the idea of putting them in the bed.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmn
My understanding has always been that guns in closed cases and ammo in another container was sufficient
It depends on the state, not all states are the same. For example, In Ohio if you have the gun in the front seat and a clip in the trunk with a couple of loads in it and the clip fits the gun, you could be charged with a felony. If the clip is empty, no problem. In Kentucky, on the other hand, you can have a loaded gun in the car so long as it is in an enclosed compartment that is considered original equipment on the vehicle.

Last edited by Roland Thunder; April 1, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:13 PM   #11
patrickmn

I am only speaking for Tennessee, since that is the topic and the state where I live, but the state legislature has been trying to simplify and improve our gun laws for the last several years. Apparently this isn't the only confusing gun law we have.
Old April 5, 2011, 06:58 AM   #12
robin48

It is my understanding here in TN that weapon and ammo have to be separated. Weapon in the front ammo in trunk for example. The law indeed says out of reach. Most folks here consider that to mean out of the cab.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:26 AM   #13
jgcoastie

OPENCARRY.ORG has a couple maps that do well to explain what is allowed under law for vehicle carry.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.