The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 25, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Oregon.gun.nut

JC Higgins 103.229 /Marlin 81 magazine tube replacement

I have a JC higgins 103.229 that was missing the magazine tube assembly and the front magazine tube band. This model should be the same as a Marlin 81, but I couldn't find any magazine tubes at Numerich Gun parts, so I assumed the Marlin 781 parts would be the same. I ordered a magazine tube assembly that is 21 3/4" long and I am having a problem getting the outer tube to pass through the takedown screw stud.

There appears to be a slight shoulder inside the stud that only allows the tube to extend 3/16" beyond the stud towards the cartridge carrier. I have never seen this type of gun disassembled, but it seems to me that the tube would need to pass entirely through the takedown screw stud and stop near the cartridge carrier. What am I doing wrong?

Do I have the correct magazine tube?

Also, the front magazine tube band is very loose in the dovetail slot. Is that normal for this model?

Thanks for any help.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Wasper

Go to the employee managed forums at Gun Parts Corp. Ask "RJ" your question. Here is a link straight to the Marlin section of the GPC forum:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/de...?g=topics&f=11
Old February 28, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Oregon.gun.nut

Thanks, Wasper

I'll give them a try. I didn't notice that they had those forums available. Live and learn.