The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2010, 09:41 PM   #1
ausher

is this the form for nfa guns and accessories?

http://www.innovativetactical.com/pdf/ATF_Form4.pdf
does the sheriff have to sign this form?
Old May 14, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
David Hineline

Your question is too general, yes that is one type of form, that is for tax paid transfer of NFA firearm, nothing to do with accy? The sheriff is not required to sign the form, some do some don't, no signature is needed in the case of tax paid transfer to a trust, or corporation, or a FFL/SOT holder.

So yes sometimes the sheriff sings that form and some times no, and in the case of sometimes yes, the chief law enforcement officer who signs the form is not always the sheriff, there are others who are allowed to sign.

Get more specific on your needs and we can be less general in the answer.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #3
ausher

what is the form the sheriff signs to be able to get nfa guns and accessories?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4
AMX

You asked "does the sheriff have to sign this form?" and David Hineline answered your question.

Anyway, use that form in your link to get an NFA weapon.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:22 AM   #5
ausher

I know the sherrif doesn't "have" to sign it, but if I want a Nfa weapon I would "need" his signature on it correct?
Old May 15, 2010, 06:36 AM   #6
AMX

If your transfer is to a trust or corporation then no, you don't need his signature.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:30 PM   #7
n7qvu

ATF NFA forms

I would suggest you always go to the ATF website to download a form. You wouldn't want it rejected because of an incorrect/outdated form.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

Form 4 is what must be filled out if you are buying a weapon that is already registered with the Federal Government.

The Sheriff might have to sign it, or you can go through making a Living Trust and skip the signing part.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:39 PM   #9
SpeedLoader

Ausher, go to the website noted by N7qvu and download the form. When I got my last suppressor, I waited 9 MONTHS!!! You don't want the Fed's to reject your form!!

Good Luck!
Old May 17, 2010, 12:14 AM   #10
David Hineline

I PMed you my cell phone give me a call, your questions are so basic you don't even have the most simple understanding of the process, you need better coaching that what you might get from gun show rumors from people who have never done it. I have done this for a living since 1994 now and I can get you up to speed over the phone quickly.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:49 AM   #11
medalguy

David is right. By the way it's not necessarily the sheriff but the chief law enforcement officer for your area. That might be your chief of police, constable, or sheriff. It may also be a state judge or other official satisfactory to BATF.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Skans

Generally speaking, if you are seeking to have an NFA item like a machinegun, silencer, DD or SBR, or AOW transferred to you individually, then you will need to get the Sheriff or his agent to sign the form. The Sheriff does not have to sign your form. Some do, many don't.

There are alternatives to having the NFA item transferred to you individually, such as setting up a trust, corporation, or llc to own the NFA item you are seeking to purchase - this gets around having to have the CLEO (in most cases Sheriff) to sign the form. Most folks have gone to using a trust.

There are alternatives to having the Sheriff sign, like someone mentioned, such as certain judges, state attorney/prosecutor, and I think there are a few others. But, unless one of these other folks knows you and wants to do you a favor, you can't really count on them to sign your form.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:59 AM   #13
David Hineline

Keep in mind that it's up to 10yrs in Federal Prison with no parole, and up to $250.000 fine per NFA violation, so the best advice to give is to get advice from a profesional.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:38 PM   #14
ausher

Thanks for all the input on this. I want to legally own a suppressor someday. Right now I'm moving out of state to Iowa so I gotta wait till I get my I.d transferred to Iowa. I definatly will absorb all the input of you guys to make sure I get this done right. Thanks for your number David when I get movEd and settled I'll give you a call when I'm ready.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Zak Smith

You can't own a suppressor in Iowa.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:07 AM   #16
David Hineline

Yep like Zak said you can't own a silencer or any other NFA in Iowa, so depending upon where in Iowa you feel the need to live, you can live across the border in MO, NE, or SD and pay no state income tax. If you are going to be stuck in Iowa then this is not the new hobby for you.

In Iowa only LE dealers and LE govment agencies can possess NFA items so you would either have to get a FFL and SOT and become a LE dealer or work for a LE dept. that issues the NFA item to you as a duty weapon.

In Minnesota you can own some NFA but silencers won't be it.

On the upside Jan 1st Iowa becomes shall issue on their CCW permit.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:40 AM   #17
ausher

Well tHat sucks! Thanks for the heads up. Oh well I guess I can live with a noisy gun.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:18 AM   #18
David Hineline

Also in Iowa they hunt deer with a shotgun, os no need for certerfire game rifles.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:48 PM   #19
ausher

been a while and i kinda gave up on this untill i found this link http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/iowa/
so can i own a silencer in ia now? do i need some sort of trust?
Old January 1, 2011, 01:35 AM   #20
David Hineline

Having a trust in Iowa has nothing to do with owning NFA firearms there.

If you are not one of the 9 type of people listed on the website you linked to you can not have NFA weapons.

1. Any peace officer.
2. Any member of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard.
3. Any person in the service of the United States.
4. A correctional officer, serving in an institution under the authority of the Iowa department of corrections.
5. Any person who under the laws of this state
and the United States, is lawfully engaged in the business of supplying those authorized to possess such devices.
6. Any person, firm or corporation who under the laws of this state and the United States is lawfully engaged in the improvement, invention or manufacture of firearms.
7. Any museum or similar place which possesses, solely as relics, offensive weapons which are rendered permanently unfit for use.
8. A resident of this state who possesses an offensive weapon which is a curio or relic firearm under the federal Firearms Act, 18 U.S.C. ch. 44,solely for use in the official functions of a historical reenactment organization of which the person is a member, if the offensive weapon has been permanently rendered unfit for the firing of live ammunition. The offensive weapon may, however, be adapted for the firing of blank ammunition.
9. A nonresident who possesses an offensive weapon which is a curio or relic firearm under the federal Firearms Act, 18 U.S.C. ch. 44, solely for use in official functions in this state of a historical reenactment organization of which the person is a member, if the offensive weapon is legally possessed by the person in the person's state of residence and the offensive weapon is at all times while in this state rendered incapable of firing live ammunition. A nonresident who possesses an offensive weapon under this subsection while in this state shall not have in the person's possession live ammunition. The offensive weapon may, however, be adapted for the firing of blank ammunition.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:19 AM   #21
wackendogs

ANY LEO in your town or county can sign it.
Old January 3, 2011, 01:37 AM   #22
dogtown tom

Quote:
wackendogs ANY LEO in your town or county can sign it.
Worst internet advice ever.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 3, 2011, 08:56 AM   #23
wackendogs

Worst internet advice ever.

Is that so??? How many NFA transfer do you handle in a year? And in this year how many of them where NOT signed by an LEO??
Old January 3, 2011, 10:29 AM   #24
Skans

In some cases a designated agent/LEO for the CLEO can sign off on your form 4. That was the case when I did my Form 4. BATFE accepted it.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:21 AM   #25
wackendogs

Yes, that used to be the case. My local sheriff used to have his chief sign, but the ATF contacted them and said that he was not to do that anymore. So now the Sheriff himself has been signing them.. Back to the ""Worst internet advice ever."" Still a LEO HAS TO SIGN THE FORM unless your doing a trust.