The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 3, 2008, 12:04 PM   #76
Sturmgewehre

This sign hangs in my dealers show room. It didn't get there by accident and it's not there because he has some childish grudge against Taurus. It hangs there because of the extremely high number of Taurus returns he deals with and the fact Taurus will not cover shipping on returns.

...for what it's worth.
Old October 15, 2008, 09:12 PM   #77
ice9_us

I am a new gun user and this is my 2 cents on the Taurus pt140

I am a new gun user and this is my 2 cents on the Taurus pt140

I am a new gun user. I have wanted a gun for a long time.. I was finally in a position to buy one….
I am going to get 2.. The first one I wanted was a pistol.. For work I drive between atlanta and decatur alabama..

Because of my lack of knowledge about guns as a whole, I wasn't sure what to get, but after some review.. i choose the 40.. I wasn’t sure about what type/kind.. Now.. If anyone wants to know.. I chose the 40 because it was in the middle of what I was really looking at.. The 9 or the 45.. It was suggested by the sales guy as a good middle man…. I must say.. It wasn’t a bad choice…

I wasn't sure what type of 40.… I was looking at the Glock mostly because everyone I know has one.. And swears by them. My brother-in-law is a HUGE Glock fan.. I went to him for advice asking him about everything but a Glock to see what he would say.. And he was really open about the topic …while looking around i found the pt140...
I looked at both side by side, ran it by him, and a few other people.. I found this board and read a few reviews… I read some other reviews.. I found that if you gave an honest look at any gun.. They all have their share of FANS and gun HATERS… I am a lefty to.. So my options, if looking for a left handed gun were going to be very limited.. I decided.. I better learn to shoot with both hands..

The decision was left to a side by side review.. What do I get from one that I don’t get from the other.. And what about its price… I have kids so the glock was, when matched with the pt140 was no match... Not because it was better, but

1 I like the trigger lock for drop safety..
2 the firing pint block.. Same “drop” reason...

3 I liked the manual safety &&&&
4 the key lock..

glock didn't have these...
I don't care what people say.. the glock didn't have a safety from my point of view... I don't think that is BAD!!! but with kids.. it wasn't going to work... My brother in law, and many other people said a 40 is a 40 is a 40.… The question is what do you like… A car is a car is a car.. IF a guy likes speed.. He is going high end.. A guy who doesn’t care.. Will be as happy with a Wagon as he will anything else… you have Fans of FORD chevy.. And HONDA… doesn’t REALLY matter.. Their all CARS!!! One having something better than the other…(I don’t want to hear anyone argue.. I am speaking in general)

With that in mind.. I went to look at the guns again…
Holding the glock and the taurus I liked the taurus better...
I have big hands.. The taurus handle is thinner, but all 4 of my fingers can fit on the handle BARELY but they can...... not that it matters, but for feel... it just made me think i had more of a grip on the gun.... I could not get my pinky on the handle of the compact Glock.

From what i understand.. u can't beat the glock with speed of breaking it down.. and ease... Things like that..
The pt140 break down isn’t that big of a deal.. For me…

I was a bit worried about the accuracy of the taurus because the barrel is shorter... But i was wrong...

Doing research i found that the Glock had some of the same basic issues the taurus had.. I don't care what anyone says.. Like i say.. I found bad stuff on both ends... One thing I liked is that with the Taurus I could shoot any round.. With the Glock I was limited.. That WASN’t a big deal.. Till I saw the price of the rounds..
I went to the range with the taurus.. and I was happy..
I shot 50 rounds with brass casings no problem... I was expecting something to happen… My brother in law said he gets bullet jams in his glock every so many rounds.. That stuff just happens.. He told me what to watch out for if it did happen.. In my review.. I did find some guy have issues with his rounds hanging.. And he found it was the mag’s spring… My buddy Jerrett said he had some friends who had to use sand paper to file some deposits or something on the .. I forget what it was they had to clean up… but he let me know it wasn’t any big deal…

The first trip to the range I did't really try to do anything special. Like I said.. I was expecting issues.. I really just wanted get a feel for the gun.. and enjoy shooting a little bit.. Make myself relaxed with loading and everything.. But no problems… for that I was happy…

Since I have had it.. I have practiced taking the gun apart and putting it back together...
and realized it looked to be lacking some lub for the slide.. The slide didn't move as freely as it was when i first got it and today at the range after 200+ rounds and no cleaning, my gun’s slide didn’t fully close for shooting the next round… I dropped the mag that was in the gun.. Pulled the slide.. The round came out like a rocket.. Hit the guy sitting next to me :?) who laughed thank God.. His gun was FAR bigger than mine… I slapped the mag back in. and went another 100+ rounds no issues…. These casings were not brass.. They were silver.. Not sure what they were.. But this go was with different casings.. And they were 14.50 for 50 rounds.. The cheapest rounds I could find… which from what I understand is important..

Back to the issue.. I reverted back to recalling something in my research about the spring issue with the mag in a guys pt140.. Think I read it here someplace on this forum... My bullets did rattle a little bit when packed with 10 rounds in the mag that was in my gun when I had the issue.. My other mag didn’t do that.. I pulled out the springs.. And there is a major difference between them.. So I think My hang was not the gun but the spring in the mag.. And how the round was pulled out… the symptom was very close to what was described… Again.. I found that to be a issue with the MAG and not the GUN..

I was very happy with the GUN.. I was hitting a softball from50 yards out and a golf ball from 20 to 30 yards out on my 2nd day out.. The golf ball from 30 yards was because when I hit it at 20 yards.. And it finally came back from orbit around the world… it landed further out…
I have shot 3 guns in my life with a total of, excluding the pt140, mabye 20 rounds from all 3... MABYE!!!!

I am very very very happy with my Taurus..

One last note.. Since I have not read it anywhere… I did have a oh crap moment… When taking the gun apart you have to pull the trigger when pulling the slide off…. Something happened and the whole thing locked down… IT would NOT MOVE!!!! I am not sure but the way I pulled the slide off locked it up…
After messing with it.. I found you need to push the slide forward… push the back side of the trigger.. And u will hear it pop.. Which will allow the slide to move again.. Not sure anyone has had that issue.. But I was upset with myself because I just bought it.. And though.. DANG!!! I have broken the gun already.. HAHA!!
Old October 15, 2008, 10:12 PM   #78
PT-92

Ice,

Great to hear that your Taurus is a winner. My three Taurus products have performed great as well as my buddy's Taurus 1911 (I've got to get one of those for sure).

-Cheers
Old October 15, 2008, 11:52 PM   #79
Shadi Khalil

Writing a letter is not the way to go with taurus. I imagine a trash bin in the taurus mail room marked "customer corespodence". You cant even get anyone on the phone over there, when you do you wish you never had. This is from my experince with a 617 revolver that they refused to fix.
Old October 15, 2008, 11:59 PM   #80
Smaug

Zombie Thread Alert

nOObs, if you dig up a zombie thread, do read & learn from it. However, most of the time, it is better not to bring it back from the dead by posting in it. (2006 in this case)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 15, 2008, 02:28 AM   #81
Mr1ncred1ble

Happy pt owner

I own a PT111 and a pt140 both non pro and i love 'em. I've heard the stories about the frame cracking and I believe it's possible as it does feel kinda flimsy but I haven't had that problem. When I got the pt140 I had some jamming Issues. I traced the problem back to a bad magazine. It was always hard to get the last round in the clip requiring a lot of force to push it in. After a little modification (taking a couple of coils off the spring inside the clip) it has been flawless. Never had a problem with the 9mm. What I find odd is that no one complains about what a pain it is to disassemble the gun for cleaning. When I first got the pt111 the dealer was attempting to show me how to take it apart. after an hour, I ended up leaving the gun there for him to figure out. When I came back the next day he still hadn't got it right. I had done some research overnight and watched the video at the website and got it back together fairly quickly. Still, though, my pt140 I have to squeeze the trigger to get the slide off, but not so with my pt111. On the other hand I have to turn the pt111 upside down to reassemble it but i don't have to on the pt140, weird. As far as ammo, when i go to the range i use whatever cheap range ammo they make me use but normally in the 9mm i like Winchester 147gr sxt Luger and the .40 cal gets Federal Premium 165gr. Hydra-shok JHP No problems.
Old November 16, 2008, 01:57 AM   #82
dgludwig

Quote:
However, most of the time, it is better not to bring it back from the dead by posting in it. (2006 in this case)
Why not, if the subject/issue/discussion is still relevant? Or are you riding thread patrol?

Last edited by dgludwig; November 16, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:37 AM   #83
Coastal

If the parts on any pistol are molded, machined and, assembled correctly, you shouldn't have to "break them in".
Old November 16, 2008, 07:06 AM   #84
tomgun

pt145 mill pro

i bought mine at a gunshow in pa.$250.00 NEW
i tried working it out for 4 months
faliure to feed,fully chamber,shoot were common.
IT WOULDNT DISASSEMBLE NO WAY NO HOW.
finally traded THIS PIECE OF TAURUS JUNK IN.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:46 AM   #85
bikerbill

I too have had problems with Taurus ... my first handgun was an 85, and it has been perfect since day one; had it for 12-15 years and it's now my glove box gun. However ... bought a 617 (7-shot .357) to carry and was very unhappy. The trigger felt like it had been dipped in sand before assembly, and the clearance between the cylinder and forcing cone was so tight the gun locked up from heat and gunk after 15-20 shots. An $85 trip to a local gunsmith fixed the problem, but of course it shouldn't have existed in the first place. I'd be very wary of buying a Taurus semi, tho some folks here seem to swear by them. Like any other machine, I guess ... some are lemons ...
Old March 15, 2009, 06:47 PM   #86
Sharpshooter1

My pt140 Mil Pro

Sucks you have had problems I bought a used pt140 mil pro and it works great never had any problems, firing or otherwise the magazine does rattle when fully loaded and shaken but thats it
Old March 15, 2009, 06:55 PM   #87
Dragon55

I have an older Taurus semi .... PT100 in 40cal. Have shot thousands of rounds with no issues except some stuff a buddy had reloaded once. My reloads have worked great. 2 inch groups at 15yds and 3 inch groups at 20 yds 165gr solid bullet 5.4 gr Bullseye

Based on what I've saw with some Colts and and sw's I can't say I've saw twice the performance for twice the price.
Old March 16, 2009, 09:45 AM   #88
Russ5924

This thread is from 2006
Old March 16, 2009, 07:53 PM   #89
dgludwig

Dragon55, do you ccw this pistol and, if so, what's your manner of carry?
Old March 16, 2009, 09:09 PM   #90
srt 10 jimbo

Old March 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #91
Arkatect

This thread has helped me out a lot. I was thinking about the p140 for my CC but will look elsewhere. I love my XD so much I think I will pick up the Xd40sc or 9mm
Old April 21, 2009, 03:41 PM   #92
coltbean

I have the PT-140 MIL PRo. It functiond flawlessly! I have fired 1000's of rounds of different ammo weights/brands with no jams or misfires. With that being said it is the most inaccurate gun that I have ever owned. My buddies refer to it as the lead slinger because thats what it does, slings lead in the general direction of the target but not into it. I know that some of these guns shoot very well but mine does not. I will not buy another one but feel that you get what you pay for and at $340 it wasn't bad.
Old April 28, 2009, 01:40 AM   #93
cohntr6

In the same boat

I have had all the same things happen to my taurus pt 140 millenium recently
I have had the gun for about 5 years and havent shot it a whole lot.
For the last year or so I have only been out to the range with it a few times and had the slide not close on the 2nd round consistantly then have rounds jam or not eject.
What really amazes me is the inaccuracy of the gun. I am by no means a great shooter but it is difficult to hit paper on a large 100 yard rifle target at 10 yards with this gun. Again, I am probably your average shooter but I should be in the black at least!! I do like my bro-inlaws .40 springfield xd.
I am now really considering selling the taurus and looking into one of the new XDm's in .40.
I really only have the taurus for home defense and cringe at the fact "if" i need to use it in defense is it going to jam? basically i dont trust it, i need something i can trust.
I am glad those who do have taurus' that have performed flawlessly but mine hasnt and it seems like a fair amount of people are in the same boat as me.
jeff
Old April 28, 2009, 01:44 AM   #94
cohntr6

No post is ever 'dead' come on.
look at the people who have learned from this, including me.
Its like somebody saying you cant learn anything from history.

jeff
Old April 28, 2009, 10:10 AM   #95
srt 10 jimbo

Dont have the 140, Have the pt 101 and have had it for a long time.One of the best guns I have.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:21 AM   #96
ZeSpectre

Born: 4/2006
Died: 4/2006
Undead: 4/2007
Staked through the heart and re-killed: 10/2007
Re-emerged: 1/2008
Beheaded and buried: 11/2008
Re-emerged: 3/2009
Old April 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #97
deadcoyote

this is too funny...

I just swore off TFL after having my anti taurus post smoked by a moderator in the general discussion forum approx 4 days ago. He said TFL doesn't allow brand bashing. So I log back in tonight and see this!!! this is hilarious. What about your no brand bashing policy now TFL???
Old April 28, 2009, 11:34 PM   #98
supergas452M

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just swore off TFL after having my anti taurus post smoked by a moderator in the general discussion forum approx 4 days ago. He said TFL doesn't allow brand bashing. So I log back in tonight and see this!!! this is hilarious. What about your no brand bashing policy now TFL???

This is not brand bashing, this is members expressing their experiences with a particular manufacturer.

When there is something on the line, you don't want an "iffy" gun. There is always something on the line. Taurus makes "iffy" guns. Therefore...
Old March 16, 2011, 05:13 PM   #99
allred87

pt140 pro

i have purchased many different pistols in my life along with my family members people need to remember taurus is not a glock you cannot clean them completly then take them to the range they have to be well oiled i carry my pt140 with me at all times and the only problems i have had with it is when using wolf primers or the lone star gun gallery house brand i keep remington golden saber 165 grain hollow points in it and have never had any problems with it. and this is not the first one i have had. i suggest them to alot of people and they have not had problems with them either. they are good guns if they are taken care of.
Old March 16, 2011, 05:18 PM   #100
2damnold4this

Quote:
Born: 4/2006
Died: 4/2006
Undead: 4/2007
Staked through the heart and re-killed: 10/2007
Re-emerged: 1/2008
Beheaded and buried: 11/2008
Re-emerged: 3/2009
Gonna have to update
Closed Thread