The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 10:38 AM   #51
robertsig

Quote:
My primary choice would be a Smith & Wesson Model 28 with a 4" barrel.
This is the one.

An N-Frame .357Mag would be ideal.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:04 AM   #52
lee n. field

Quote:
Assuming you have to pick a pistol knowing that you will have no access to professional maintenance in the future (e.g. a disaster / "dystopia" scenario), so the thing should just WORK w/o being revised by any gunmaker or other professional for many years and thousands of rounds - what making would you choose?
Glock.

Get a few maintenance parts, and a "Glock Armorer's Tool". Do it yourself.

In a dystopian scenario I don't know where you'd be getting "thousands of rounds" over "many years".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 4, 2013, 12:01 PM   #53
simonrichter

Quote:
Why does a fella from Austria even need to ask?
Making a point there. Actually any modern semiauto other than Glock is rather unaffordable in Austria (and there is hardly any second hand market, again except for Glocks). So nice to hear that for many of you that would be the weapon of choice, anyway.

And no, I'm not a "troll" (thank you Lost Sheep for the explanation, btw), just always curious about what you Americans have to say about certain handgun issues, given most of you have far more practical experience (hopefully, it will remain this way...)
Old February 8, 2013, 11:02 PM   #54
thinktwice

Glock.. I have owned handguns from many different manufacturers, and most of them have been just as reliable as my Glocks, but do not have the proven track record yet. We will see as time goes on if they will hold up, and always go bang,like a Glock. But for me now it's a Glock!!
Old February 9, 2013, 02:11 AM   #55
FlySubCompact

Quote:
just always curious about what you Americans have to say about certain handgun issues, given most of you have far more practical experience (hopefully, it will remain this way...)
Having a hard time understanding your interest. You deny being a troll, then hope that only Americans will have practical experience with various handguns. Would you not hope that folks like you have more handgun choices in your home country.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:18 AM   #56
JohnKSa
Staff

Ok, enough with the troll accusations. If you think there's a problem, use the report post button in the offending post.
Quote:
... hope that only Americans will have practical experience with various handguns...
That's not what he said. What he said was that he hoped it would remain possible for us to gain a lot of practical experience with various handguns. In other words, he hopes our firearms aren't criminalized as has happened in other countries whose citizens no longer have the opportunity that we have to gain practical experience with various handguns.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:09 AM   #57
dean1818

M&P for me

Ultra reliable, easy to work on, made in the USA

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 9, 2013, 03:59 PM   #58
FireForged

Glock or if you want something nicer... a Browning Hi Power. Those are the only 2 pistols I would bet my life on. (When I say pistol, I am not talking revolver)
Old February 10, 2013, 10:55 PM   #59
BigJakeJ1s

A proven all-steel semi-auto with few moving parts (likely blow-back rather than locked breach), such as the Makarov or some of its descendants, would top my list of semi-auto pistols.

But a revolver, particularly a good stainless SAA clone (e.g. Ruger Vaquero, particularly the older/larger model) would top any semi-auto on my list.

Andy
Old February 11, 2013, 07:52 PM   #60
HKGuns

I guess all of the responses from those with pistols containing polymer guide rods and/or sights have never had one of the plastic parts break, which IS known to happen with enough shooting.

There are examples of it happening with as few as 200 rounds through the pistol. Although, to be fair, at least some of the failures are likely attributable to improper installation, however, it is a failure and will brick your pistol pretty quickly.

My PPQ HAD a plastic guide rod and it was promptly replaced with a stainless guide rod as I don't trust polymer to endure that constant stress, however light it may be in reality.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:21 PM   #61
willmc33

Glock 17/19 or Sig Sauer P226 would be my choice. I have seriously neglected both ( on purpose) with no malfunctions.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:25 PM   #62
whippoorwill

To our Austrian OP... my apologies for my fellow forum members who can't read, don't take the time to read, or choose to ignore your question by listing revolvers. I imagine it's just that they love revolvers and can't ignore an opportunity to list their favorites, even when off topic.

Regarding your question... I hate to say it, but I'd have to join the Glock crowd. Although my heart says commander length 1911. If it breaks at the wrong time, at least I'll die pretty.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:28 PM   #63
Puddle

SIG.

I would trust any of my SIGs hands down before any of my other automatics including HK, Colt, Khar.

Mind you, the others are great pistols, but the SIGs are of a different breed, IMO.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:35 PM   #64
TxFlyFish

Makarov

If any US company were to make to manufacture and sell it, it will be called the biggest rip off ever. That's how simple it is.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:37 AM   #65
simonrichter

Quote:
That's not what he said. What he said was that he hoped it would remain possible for us to gain a lot of practical experience with various handguns. In other words, he hopes our firearms aren't criminalized as has happened in other countries whose citizens no longer have the opportunity that we have to gain practical experience with various handguns.
Thank you, John, that's exactly what I wanted to point out. Though here in Austria we still better off than e.g. in Germany or, worst, the UK. Well, seems I have to work on my English, after all, given all these misunderstandings with my posts...

And thanks again to all others for your opinion and statements!
Old February 14, 2013, 11:29 AM   #66
Ben Towe

Quote:
Well, seems I have to work on my English, after all, given all these misunderstandings with my posts...
Not at all, your English is excellent, better than many Americans on here. People should just learn to read around here.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:34 PM   #67
simonrichter

Quote:
Not at all, your English is excellent, better than many Americans on here.
Thank you, nice of you and most flattering for me, from a native speaker!

In case I didn't mention: I really like this forum (and the Americans' attitude concerning firearms in general!)
Old February 14, 2013, 03:03 PM   #68
Gaerek

Glock and most revolvers
Old February 14, 2013, 03:10 PM   #69
BGutzman

Personally Id go with H&K or Sig.. and for either of these Id still buy speare parts for common failures.... The bonus is both of these pistols in a new state demand a higher price than most all others and could be though of as a kind of investment for bad times...