The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 6, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
RAnb

WA State silencer use bill (1016) to get hearing.

I just got off the phone with Representative Pedersen's aide. She says that bill 1016 will get a hearing in committee. This is farther than any silencer bill has gone before; the rest died without a hearing.

The hearing has not been scheduled yet; the session starts on 1/10/2011. The committee schedules should be out by next week some time. I plan on attending as long as it is takes place next week. I will be out of the state working from January 18 till the end of the month.

Unless there are other gun control bills scheduled for a hearing, it is not likely that 200 plus people will show up to observe or testify at the hearing as I saw a few years ago. If you plan on going, get there at least an hour before it is scheduled to start and sign up. Those that sign up are asked if they are pro or con on the bills being heard. Those that want to speak to the committee indicate so. From what I understand, it is first come first serve for those who want to speak. People get about 5 minutes to present their views. The last time I went to a Senate hearing on gun control bills, only about 10% of those showing up were for the bills (various bans), but they choose an equal number to speak on each side, pro and con.

I hope that those people speaking for both sides only stick to the facts and do not use emotional arguments. If I am not able to attend, I would like to speak to anyone here that is planning to go. I can supply data on the low number of silencer related crimes and letters from the WASPC and WACOPS on their positions. I can also prepare a fact sheet to give to the committee members.

I have been hearing that the bill is expected to pass the House, but we need to keep pushing. I have been writing more to Senators and also sent the Governor a letter. A member of Gregoire's staff when she was the AG tried to convince me that silencers were illegal in the entire USA. I hope to convince her that they are useful enough to be legal to use.

Ranb
Old January 6, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
PTK

You've been taking great steps for all silencer owners in WA. Good on you.
Old January 6, 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
golfnutrlv

Another thank you shout out from Spokane. Email to politicians inbound...

Thanks for your efforts to get the laws changed!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:36 PM   #4
RAnb

The hearing will take place on Wednesday, 1/12/11. Agendas
Quote:
Judiciary - 01/12/11 8:00 am
Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA

Public Hearing:
HB 1032 - Modifying consumer protection act provisions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1041 - Including correctional employees who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training to the lists of law enforcement personnel that are exempt from certain firearm restrictions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1016 - Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1017 - Mandating a twelve-hour impound hold on motor vehicles used by persons arrested for driving under the influence. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1001 - Placing restrictions on pro se defendants when questioning witnesses. (If measure is referred to committee.)
There is only one other gun control bill on the list, and it eases restrictions as far as I can tell. I do not anticipate much of an anti-gun crowd showing up for this one.

I will be taking the morning (or whole day) off from work to attend. Anyone want to join me?

Sending e-mail is ok, but real letters work better. Your Rep's website also has contact phone numbers. An aide will most likely answer the phone, but you can request a good time to call back to talk to the Rep.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; January 7, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old January 12, 2011, 03:29 PM   #5
RAnb

The hearing went well today.

When the bill was read by the committee staff, it was in a completely unbiased and supportive manner. Their statement included both the words suppressor and silencer. I think the time for being afraid to use the "other S-word" is coming to an end.

A WACOPS representative showed up and spoke first, completely stole my thunder. That is ok though as he was dressed in a suit and spoke just as eloquent. He also gave healthy support to the notion that civilians should be able to use silencers too. I was left with one minute and only mentioned federal penalties. I forgot to bring up the low crime data I brought with.

A very big thank you for WA Tom for showing up. He was the sole industry representative. He spoke of how WA class 2's were are a big disadvantage because they could not test their products in the state. I recorded the hearing; I will post the relevant parts on YouTube later today.

Ranb
Old January 12, 2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Crosse

exciting I've been following this on NWf, but googled 1016 to see where else this might have been mentioned. I emailed all my reps with the wacops letter. hopefully I'll be a legal owner and washington state resident user of a suppressor. Hell I know I'll be using it whenever I can during classes (teaching and learning), matches, etc. crossing fingers today and tomorrow.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Crosse

Thanks, (crosse) – we had a good hearing this morning and I am guessing that the bill will pass out of committee tomorrow. I intend to vote for it. Best, Jamie (Pedersen)
Old January 12, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
hknut

Good job RanB. I wish I would have known about this I would have gone down for this.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:38 AM   #9
RAnb

For anyone who wants to keep up with what is happening with a bill, go to http://access.wa.gov and click on the government link. This will give links to legislators, laws, bills, committee agendas and just about everything you need to know about what our critters are doing in Olympia.

Here is the link for the House committees. http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Committe...s/default.aspx Just click on the agenda link to see what they are going to give a hearing on.

Most bills do not get a hearing. You must make the committee chairman give a damn by writing, calling and meeting face to face with him or her. Never count on the bill sponsors to give a damn for you. If there is one thing I learned in the last three years of lobbying for silencer use it was this.

You can even subscribe to a calendar of events here; http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature/pages/calendar.aspx After signing up, you get e-mail alerts to what is happening. This way you are not taken by surprise. You can also call the Senator or Representatives office and they can give you dates for any hearings on bills you are interested in.

A search on bill 1016 shows;
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...1016&year=2011

Quote:
2011 REGULAR SESSION
Dec 13 Prefiled for introduction.
Jan 10 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Jan 12 Public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Jan 13 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Subject to change) (Committee Materials)
There should be more info soon on the results of the executive hearing that is going on today(1/13/2011)

Politics sucks, but gun control sucks more. Get involved.

Ranb
Old January 18, 2011, 01:56 AM   #10
MD_Willington

My coworkers and my self have contacted our Reps in District 9, they're all for it.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Tuna2o3

called and sent letters to 47th district got a "take under consideration" reply so I'm thinking not a whole lot of support hoping I'm wrong
Old January 18, 2011, 01:10 PM   #12
PTK

If this goes through, three very good friends of mine intending to move to WA will be quite happy indeed.

Mind, still no DDs there, but... baby steps.

RAnb, you are, without a doubt, a patriot.
Old January 18, 2011, 03:52 PM   #13
rjrivero

RAnb....good work for sure.

Looks like it's passed the Judiciary Committe. It was passed to the Rules Commitee for a second reading on MLK Day? Didn't know the lawmakers worked on MLK day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppressor bill
2011 REGULAR SESSION
Dec 13 Prefiled for introduction.
Jan 10 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Jan 12 Public hearing in the House Committee on Judiciary at 8:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Jan 13 Executive action taken in the House Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
JUDI - Executive action taken by committee.
JUDI - Majority; do pass. (Majority Report)
Jan 17 Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.
Here's to our friends in Washington State to be able to join the rest of the "Quiet Nation."
Old January 18, 2011, 08:07 PM   #14
MD_Willington

Rules Committee
Old February 7, 2011, 04:00 PM   #15
RAnb

House bill 1016 passed a vote on the House floor.

Quote:
HB 1016
Firearm noise suppressors
House vote on Final Passage
2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker
Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer
Absent:
Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove
I am not sure, but maybe Senate bill 5112 is not making progress because House bill 1016 will go to it for a vote. The list of bills getting an executive hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is out, and bill 5112 is not on it.

Ranb
Old February 7, 2011, 05:07 PM   #16
rjrivero

RAnb: This is great news. Please continue to keep us updated
Old February 8, 2011, 02:15 PM   #17
RAnb

Bill 5112 was heard by the Senate Judiciary Executive Committee this morning. There was no debate. The decision was a unanimous "do pass" recommendation. It goes to the Rules Committee next.

Ranb
Old February 8, 2011, 02:22 PM   #18
golfnutrlv

That's good to hear!!!

Our contact with reps and senators is working.

Keep up the good work RAnb!!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:01 PM   #19
MD_Willington

Apr 6 Delivered to Governor.

Apr 11 Governor signed.

http://www.the-minuteman.org/content...Barron-Barnett
Old April 11, 2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Bucks Gun Shop

This is fantastic news to Washington State firearms enthusiast... I still can't believe that our left wing, left coast politicians actually went for this!!!!
Old April 11, 2011, 09:02 PM   #21
hknut

Quote:
Apr 6 Delivered to Governor.

Apr 11 Governor signed.

http://www.the-minuteman.org/content...Barron-Barnett
Now I am shocked!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:33 PM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Congrats!

What a funny thread title, LOL "silencer use ... to get hearing." Almost "sounds" like a contradiction.
Old April 17, 2011, 09:32 AM   #23
RAnb

Quote:
I still can't believe that our left wing, left coast politicians actually went for this!!!!
The time to be shocked is over. There is much left to be done. Next is SBS and SBR.

Here is bill 2099. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/2099.pdf

It eases restrictions on SBS/SBR by doing away with the July 1994 registration requirement and merely requiring that they be registered with the feds.

Bill 2098 is SBR only, some sort of backup bill I think. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...2098&year=2011

There is a small group of people working on getting bill 2099 pushed through the legislature. It will of course not go anywhere this session, but it should make progress in 2012.

For those that want to help, there is an AR-15.com forum member that is making a list of people so they can divide up duties to ensure everything gets done in an efficient manner. Look at this thread and contact the forum member by the name of bigscrun.

The best thing anyone can do right now is getting to know your Representatives and Senator. Write to them (not e-mail) and ask to meet with them in the future about the bill. You do not have to give specifics when you write, but ask them when it would be convenient to meet with them. If there are others who want to meet about the SBS/SBR bill, get together and meet your Rep as a team.

Randy