The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 30, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
skizzums

magpul "airsoft" mbus

hey guys, i have never really been interested in an AR, not for any reason other than the few experiences i have had at the range with them and the tiny holes it puts in targets. i am sure they are fantastic rifles since the military uses a similar platform and the overwhelming popularity of them. but i noticed such a massive drop in pricing for parts in the last month i decided to build the absolutely cheapest possible AR for plinking. my main drive being the availability of brass and i am an avid reloader. so i did it, i built a decent polymer lowered AR for under 500$. trying to stay on the uber cheap, i see these "airsoft" rated mbus sights and am wondering if they are a possible option for a 5.56 rifle. i am sure someone has to have tried, or got fooled by the descriptions and tried them out. any feedback would be grrrreat. thanks everyone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121159061483?lpid=82
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.0AR.jpg (243.4 KB, 84 views)
Old September 30, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
semi_problomatic

Keep an eye on that lower, they can crack from magwell to trigger after one good range session.
Old September 30, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
skizzums

i figured that could be the case with the polymer, but if so, its an easy but pricey exchange. if the platform ends up growing on me, i plan to purchase a milled when i come across a cheap one. but, i have a friend with the same gen2 ati lower and he has a couple thousand through it, no probs yet, but i'm sure the mix and themolding quality can vary greatly when dealing with polymers. i used to work in plastics and there are many variables when mixing catalysts etc.... don't always get the same product consistently, especially if the factory is not temp/humidity controlled.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
semi_problomatic

I make plastic for a living. I don't know what you mean by mixing catalyst... Our mixers are the catalyst...There can be differences from one box to the next and through out a run. Our plant is not climate controlled. Had some buddies pick up one of those. They destroyed it in about half a range session.

I, personally wouldn't use airsoft sights for an ar. i severly doubt any type of quality control for accuracy is non existant.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
skizzums

i understand that it probably won't hold up, just wondering if anyone has tried
Old September 30, 2013, 11:18 PM   #6
skizzums

the plastics we made, btw, we mixed the resin with a certain amount of benzyl peroxide (the amount depended on temperature) to begin the curing process. but i am only familiar with that type of monomer. mmethyl methacrylate monomer. i assumed that other plastics had a similar process.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:26 PM   #7
DubC-Hicks

I'd get real sights. I've seen the knock-off chinese mbus and they are terrible. Some come with broken or bent sight posts. I've seen some that are crooked too, like the flip up part of the sight leans one way. If you want budget that actually works ok, at least step up to UTG/Leapers.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
skizzums

thanks hicks, since ive posted this, ive been looking around, and now that i se they actually make very reasonably priced irons now, i'll probably skip the flip-ups. i was actually just looking at the leapers A2's. i just remember a year ago i couldnt find decent irons for under a hundred bucks for a pair, but i guess things have changed
Old September 30, 2013, 11:39 PM   #9
skizzums

i'll put some links to the sights i've narrowed down and let a'll help me with my choice.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Fishbed77

The airsoft MBUS sights will not hold up, even to the light recoil of 5.56/.223. The springs are also cheap and prone to breakage. Don't waste your money on them.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
zukiphile

1. Can you look through the scope with those low rings?

2. Why would you want back-up sights on a rifle for the range? Is scope failure a common problem?

Skizzums, I think you've done something smart, i.e. dipping your toe in the AR water with something inexpensive. Buying do-dads is always tempting with an AR, but it runs contrary to your "absolutely cheapest possible AR" concept.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Fishbed77

If you want the cheapest possible AR build, there are plenty of low-cost fixed sight options out there that will work well.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #13
skizzums

i dont want a scope at all, i just have that on there until i get irons. and yes, it is difficult being so low.

but i found what i am ordering, unless anyone has any reasons not to:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-...950rs02-b.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-...t-mnt-754.html

now, do i need to get a low profile front sight since it is a flat top, or should i just go with the standard height??

Last edited by skizzums; October 1, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:48 PM   #14
zukiphile

I have that rear sight on two items along with an f marked front sight. They work as well as an A2 rear sight, i.e. very well.

I have no experience with that front sight.

I have two alternate suggestions, both of which you are free to ignore. A set of Daniel Defense sights will be very solid and retain a lot of value if you decide iron sights are not your thing. The down side is that they are twice the price of your links above.

For about the same price as those iron sights, you can get a $25 NCStar MARCQ mount and $20 Tasco Bantam 2.5x20 shotgun scope. It is light, solid, gives better light transmission than iron sights, and allows the same accuracy. (I find irons give very good, 1 moa, accuracy in daylight). I prefer this to iron sights.

My two cents. FWIW, I have tried to stick to a cheap is better concept too.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
viciouskitty

I have one of those ATI polymer lowers as well, I've had it since November and it has yet to give me a single problem. It's seen around 600 rounds so far, I do have a back up brownells receiver in aluminum. But I don't think I will need it. Those polymer lowers are great for a plinking gun on a budget I paid 140 with transfer with mine, complete lower
Old October 1, 2013, 07:40 PM   #16
skizzums

whats an f marked front sight? i know for a fact that iron sights are my thing. most of my guns are scoped except for my nagants, and for plinking i just find iron sights to be far more enjoyable. although a good scope is superior, thay are also boring.......
Old October 1, 2013, 07:43 PM   #17
skizzums

okay cool. i looked up the f marked sight. thats exactly what i wanted from the beginning, just never saw any, guess cause i had no idea what they were called. thank you. not sure if i will go that route at this point in juncture, but on my next one for sure.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
skizzums

hey. im about to click the buy-it button for those two before mentioned sights. can anyone tell me if i should be buying the low-profile front sight since i have a flat-top?
Old October 1, 2013, 08:44 PM   #19
DubC-Hicks

If the gas block is the same height as the receiver, you need low profile. If the gas block is lower, you need gas block profile. I think yours is the same as your receiver, isn't it?
Old October 2, 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
BillyJack3

Can't tell from your picture but you only want that front sight linked above if your gas block is on the same plane as your rail. Most gas block as lower profile. If that's the case, you'll need a "gas block" height front sight.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Destructo6

A buddy had the same idea and bought the PTS Mbuis. He knew full well that they were for Airsoft, but took a risk.

When they arrived, we compared them against a normal set of Mbuis: it didn't go well. The front sight wasn't straight and the retainer was just a set screw that wasn't even placed inline with the barrel: it was a good 10° off, so the post wasn't showing a flat to the shooter.

Everything from the feel of the plastic to the pop up effect was inferior.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 2, 2013, 12:51 PM   #22
shaunpain

I WOULD NOT recommend anything rated for airsoft on a real rifle. The PTS line is designed for airsoft use only. Magpul makes those same Gen2 sights that'll cost you right around $100 for the set, but for the real thing and far more durable. A little insider info is that they can be had on Amazon for a little cheaper (I snagged two sets at about $86 per). That's really small potatoes when you consider that flip up irons tend to cost quite a bit more usually. I own their MBUS and Pmags and they are excellent. I hear Troys are really nice as well.

EDIT: Reading further through the posts, I can tell you that the Gen2's are low profile and perfect for your flattop. Another great thing about flip up sights are that you can always add a red dot sight later which would be fortuitous on an A3 platform.
Old October 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
I own their MBUS and Pmags and they are excellent. I hear Troys are really nice as well.
I own both and I can verify that the Troys are infinitely better than the MBUS. But they cost twice as much too.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:39 PM   #24
DubC-Hicks

I don't think you'll like the MBUS on the gas block anyway. It can melt the polymer.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:00 PM   #25
skizzums

thank you hicks, yes i have a rail height gas block, that is why i was asking, i will get the low profile.