The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Mudlaker

Looking for a load in 38 sp 125 L rnfp

Howdy FL,

Been doing some looking around and sometimes get more questions than answers, so I'll throw this out there.

Ive got a Uberti open top cartridge revolver, 7 1/2' Barrel in 38 Special.

Really like to keep a cowboy load more so to baby the pistol from stretching (if possible) and just keep those pressures down. I don't mind shooting a milder load, it's more for shooting fun. I have titegroup on hand but am willing to try something else if some one's preference says a better load.

That being said, I'm really leaning to a 125 gn. RNFP to keep the pressures down, I know speed loss may effect accuracy.

From what Ive seen if I stay around 800-900FPS and around 10,000CUP I should really be ok.
Any thoughts! Thanks for the time.

john
Old January 30, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

I remember years back using either Blue Dot or Red Dot, or both, to put together some light target loads with the 110gr jacketed. We also used some lead bullets as well but they were the 146'ish gr HBWC's. From what I remember none of them were much more than a pop when the hammer fell.

You might look at Unique, 231, Universal, and possibly HP-38, just guessing on the last one. I haven't tried it for anything since I have other stuff to use up first.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
j357

Take a look at the Hodgdon Load Center page at: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp and you will find a Titegroup load for 125 GR. CAST LRNFP that appears to meet your requirements.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
griz

125 gr loads around 800 FPS are pretty much a classic cowboy action load. I've shot many thousands of them myself using Titegroup. Just make sure you don't double charge the case, a small charge of Titegroup is almost lost in the bottom of a 38 special case.