The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2010, 04:53 PM   #26
Durangogun

Thanks dgludwig--I agree regarding setters.

Great looking Brittany, PVC!
Old February 20, 2010, 05:13 PM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
Its an Ithaca bored skeet and skeet with 26 inch barrels.
Nice looking Ithaca, olddrum1. As an aside, I graduated from Central Missouri State University back in 1972. I take it they still have the statute of that old hounddog in Warrensburg?
Old February 20, 2010, 06:43 PM   #28
Shorthair

Cute pup, PVP. Gonna have a lot of happy memories coming....
Never felt undergunned with a 20, so good luck. Try out a lot of them, shoulder them, and concentrate your search on finding something that fits you. It'll more than likely last a lifetime, and a couple hundred dollars one way or the other will be long forgotten as long as it you enjoy shooting it.
Thanks for the kind words, Durangogun. I love setters, but not patient enough to deal with the longer coat. For my GSPs I like the smaller lines, not a fan of a GSP over 70 pounds. Here are a couple more:

Old February 20, 2010, 11:38 PM   #29
olddrum1

Yes dgludwig, That hound is still on point. Everything there is stll about the same. The college went through its ten year name change. Its now CMU. They actually thought enrollment would increase by dropping State out of the name. I was there about the same time as you.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:09 AM   #30
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Darn.

Seeing those Shorthairs brought back some memories.

I've hunted over lots of dogs, but GSPs have owned my heart for decades....
Old February 21, 2010, 01:30 PM   #31
dgludwig

Quote:
The college went through its ten year name change. Its now CMU.
I actually received two diplomas for the same degree: one said Central Missouri State College and the other said Central Missouri State University. I thought that was pretty cool at the time. But, now a third name? I think I'll write the college/university and see if they'll give me a third diploma.

And I'm pleased to learn that ol' Drum still watches over the town. Pretty neat story, that.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:37 PM   #32
Shorthair

Dave McC, thanks. GOOD GSPs also are my favorite, bad ones I've seen too many of, unfortunately.
Let's hope PVP posts some pics of his Brit in the field in a couple of months.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:04 PM   #33
LanceOregon

Well, the Charles Daly would be a downgrade in quality from the Franchi, besides not looking as nice.

The Remington 870 Express is pretty much the bottom of the basement in terms of US shotgun manufacturing. If you get a 870, at least get a better grade than the bargain basement Express model.

That Beretta 391 Urika II that I linked to earlier for $700 is one excellent deal if you want a quality shotgun. Have you handled many autoloaders? Most better stores have the Beretta 391 in stock to checkout.

Old February 22, 2010, 11:37 AM   #34
dgludwig

The store in my area is selling the Beretta 3901 for $599.99. A pretty good shotgun for the money from what I hear.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:31 PM   #35
lsbbigdog

Look into Lanber o/u Shotguns. Made in Spain and a really nice gun for the money. I picked up a new one at a local shop for $650.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:27 PM   #36
WacosSon

I absolutely love Brittanys and have been considering getting one for a while. My question is this: are they as good in the water as they are in the field? Wifey won't go for a lab cuz of their size. I got her used to the idea of the brittany, but are they as good in the water? I mainly duck hunt....

-WS
Old February 22, 2010, 01:44 PM   #37
lsbbigdog

I've been looking into getting a dog for pheasant hunting. We have a small house and a small (3ksq') fenced yard and a 3 yr son. I would love to get a lab but I think the breed would be to big for us . I think a small female Brit would work for us.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:31 PM   #38
Scorch

Quote:
My question is this: are they as good in the water as they are in the field?
Brittanys are a "versatile breed", meaning they are not bred to just be just pointers or retrievers, they are supposed to be able to "do it all", but Brittanys are not known as "water dogs". Mine love the water, but many do not. I think it's an individual dog preference.

My two cents worth: Brittanys are the best upland dogs I have ever hunted over (I have owned American Field Setters, Weimaraners, and now Brittanys). If you intend to just hunt ducks, you may be better suited for a Boykins Spaniel or a Water Spaniel. If your intention is to hunt geese, pick something bigger.

Brittanys are very high energy, so expect to have to work or walk them every day. Brittanys that are kept penned are notoriously troublesome, Brittanys that get worked a lot are very easy to handle and well-mannered. I own two Brittanys, and I walk them at least 1 hour a day. They have great dispositions and are very tolerant of children.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:30 PM   #39
dgludwig

Quote:
I've been looking into getting a dog for pheasant hunting.
The first thing you have to decide is whether you want a pointer or a flushing dog. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but most of us are strong advocates of one or the other.

Last edited by dgludwig; February 22, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old February 22, 2010, 06:08 PM   #40
PVP

Shotguns and Brittanys

Isabbigdog, Scorch is correct, the brittany is very high energy. Like Scorch, I also walk Lily 4 miles, every bloody day, just to keep her psyche in check. If it's miserable out I'll throw a frisbee around the backyard for a solid half hour not letting her take much of a break in between throws. It's really tough to even get her winded. Once she's had her daily walk she's good to go, calm and piece of cake. A regular couch potato. She spends most of the night asleep next to me on the recliner. Oh yeh, one other thing, I'm self employed, Lily comes to work with me and has the run of the shop. She mugs it up with salesman, truck drivers, UPS guy and her boyfriend the trash guy. Don't know why, but she loves him, and she can hear and recognize his truck 3 streets away.

I don't know how Lily would do if she had to be crated for 7-8 hrs. I tell her everyday how lucky she is, and my next life I'm coming back as a brittany.

Now shotgun stuff, today I went to Dick's with the intention of buying a Remington 11-87 20 gauge in wood. I had 10 crisp $100 bills folding in my wallet. Oh yeh, one other thing, the reason I have 10 crisp $100 bills in my wallet is I had a real sweet spinning bike that I just sold. I couldn't see myself walking with Lily for an hour, and then jumping on the spinning bike for a quick workout. So, I said I think I see a new shotgun in my future! So anyways, Dick's just had the 11-87 in synthetic, I really wanted something nice looking. Then I saw in the case on sale, $350 off, a Franchi 720 auto for $750. Anybody have any experience with these? Lance, they had one of the Baretta 391's there, but I think it was close to $1000 though (plus it was synthetic). I guess what I'm struggling with is, what is a good compromise shotgun that I could use mostly for birds, but with the possibilty of other things like deer ect.? Or, am I correct in thinking there is no such thing. I'll end up getting something for each application, and I might as well get the correct gun for each and put a gun safe on my Christmas list for next year? So if my immediate need was upland type hunting, go with an o/u like the Franchi, and then worry about deer hunting if and when that comes up? Thanks for all your help guys I really do appreciate it, I'm usually very decisive, I just didn't want to plop down $800-$1000 and then say man I should have got the Wingmaster or 11-87 or 391 or the sweet looking Citori, hey, I can dream can't I? Thanks again!
Old February 28, 2010, 09:26 AM   #41
crazydave

I also have a Brittany. My first bird dog. I trained her myself and managed not to damage her. I used a blank gun to condition her she has been ignoring it for a month now so I took he for our first Pheasant hunt last Sunday. We got our first bird!. The first she has ever seen. She was perfect. The only problem you will have with a Brittany is all the other hunters pick on you because they must hunt with lesser dogs (JK) After hunting 1 time with my dog I cant imagine ever hunting without one.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111-1139_IMG.jpg (109.1 KB, 38 views)
Old March 2, 2010, 07:53 AM   #42
PVP

Shotgun progress!

Congrats Dave on your first, good team effort! Hope my "team" does as well. Well, I finally decided on a shotgun. Went back to Dick's one last time and nothing there seemed to really get me excited. They had the o/u Franchi for $900 the Franchi auto for $750 with a barrel a little longer than I wanted. An 870 Express that I wasn't very excited about and a Baretta that was more than I really wanted to spend. So I walked out with nothing. I did find, after much internet searching, in MI an extremely nice Remington 11-87 Premier in 20 gauge. It was manufactured in 1999. It looks immaculate, not a scratch on it from what I can tell in the pictures. The pictures allowed you to zoom in very close. My thought process was that everyone seems to have an auto in their gun closet, so I might as well get mine out of the way now. I can use it for pheasant, skeet, deer or whatever. If my tastes change down the road and I get the urge for an o/u or a sxs I'll see what else I have in the cellar to sell. ;-) I think this seems like a good place to start, and I'm excited to get it. I'll see if I can put up a few pics when I finally get the gun. Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated!
Old March 2, 2010, 12:51 PM   #43
Shorthair

I think this is an excellent choice, PVP, you will not be disappointed. Good luck this season, have fun!
Old March 10, 2010, 02:55 AM   #44
HiBC

One silly point I will offer.Regardless of what looks pretty,or fits the budget,or seems like a great choice,it has to fit you.
If at all possible,before you spend your money,if there is any way you can do a round of clay birds or something,you will know if it is a good shotgun for you.
Old November 19, 2010, 06:33 PM   #45
PVP

We're not virgins anymore!

Hi Guys, it's been awhile! Thanks for all your help. A little status report for you. In the shotgun department I purchased a really nice Remington 11-87 Premier. Used, made in 1999. I took it apart when I got it home and was amazed how clean it was. I fired a box of shells through it at the range and then cleaned it again. After seeing what it looked like after 25 shots I came to the conclusion this gun had never been fired by anyone but me. All those years and it probably sat in someones gun safe and never saw the light of day. Very happy with my purchase to say the least. As far as my brittany Lily goes, well she's not a hunting virgin any longer! Second time out she flushed this little beauty right in front of me, in my haste to not let her first one escape I kinda winged the little devil. Lily was after it in heartbeat. It was a runner, but she ran it down it the woods. When I finally caught up she had the bird on it's back and kicking Lily in the nose! Oh we laughed, we cried... Anyways, we dispatched the bird and later on that day it was cooked on the grill. When time to eat, I split the bird with Lily, one bite for her, one bite for me, even the little heart. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. (Sorry, can't figure out how to have the damn picture show up!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Birdie.jpg (241.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by PVP; November 20, 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:07 PM   #46
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

THANKS!!! You just made my day better. I hope you, your fine dog and shotgun have many more memories coming.....
Old November 20, 2010, 08:43 AM   #47
roy reali

re:PVP

Nice dog, gun and bird in the photo. Was this a "club" bird or a wild bird?
Old November 20, 2010, 08:50 AM   #48
OlCrip

I really like dogs, most ALL dogs. My personal favorite was a Springer Spaniel who loved to hunt close and who hated rabbits. And my favorite shotgun was a M12 Win in 20 ga. ... until I picked up a brand spanking new Ithica M100 side by each in 20 ga 3". The Springer has passed on to that great grouse woods in the sky, but I still have the double 20. I have never felt a better shotgun when it flies to your shoulder and you get a double on quail out of one covey. Yeah, everyone has their favorite ... dog, gun, wife ... in that order. I like to buy used nowadays ... I can get two for the price of one new one. Wish I could get choke tubes for my side by each though. Bought it LONG before they became popular for shotguns. I like the double more and more as I get older and older. I have an 870 for the house, a Winchester double 12ga for pheasant and the 20ga for quail, partridge and woodcock. Got a good wife, good guns but sadly, no dogs. But, if I had the land and the wherewithall, I'd have another Springer.
Old November 20, 2010, 11:23 AM   #49
PVP

Thanks Roy, this was a stocked bird in Southwick, MA. Lily and I have our limit for the season since this pic was taken. We go for 2-3 hours at a time in the late afternoons. I don't dare go on weekends, it's like a shooting gallery out there. Speaking of "season limits" I spoke with a Portuguese fella other day (they do love to hunt pheasant for some reason) that said he took 16 last year without a dog! What's up with that? Am I the dummy for stopping at 6? Is the season limit thing just meant to be approximate?
Old November 26, 2010, 09:03 PM   #50
A/C Guy

Are you confusing "possession limit" with "season limit"?
I've never heard of a state season limit. Season limits may be instituted on a private preserve, but the "possession limits" the state institutes only means that you can only have so many birds in your freezer. We eat our birds frequently enough that our dogs (Britts of course) get to hunt every day. So go out and get more birds!

BTW, too bad I did not see your OP because we have the Franchi Diamond and they are a great gun for the money. Some guys have over 5000 rounds through them and they keep on working flawlessly. We have over 1000 through ours.

When your Britt is older, maybe she will learn how to kill the wounded birds instead of getting kicked in the face. Our Britts usually dispatch wounded birds that fight too much.