The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 4, 2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Shooter's box blueprints needed

Years ago, I noticed that many handgun shooters used either a custom or commercial box to hold spotting scope, handguns, and ammo/tools. One side of the box opened like the door to a Delorian to 180 degrees, with a spotting scope attached to inside. Below that was a two or three gun rack for handguns that slid out, and below that were one or two drawers that pulled out separately.

I haven't seen any of these in years, but you older shooters should know what I'm talking about.

I'd like to build one, but can't seem to find blueprints anywhere, and I'm not really a good enough handyman to design my own. Anyone know where I can find plans?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 4, 2006, 07:24 PM   #2
farmall

Know precisely what you mean. Seems to me there are plans in one of the old versions of "ABC'S of Reloading" books written by Dean Grennel. I also seen to recall there being one in an old American Rifleman I have somewhere.
I'll look around and see if I can find it around here somewhere. Andy
Old February 5, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Andy! If you happen to come across it, I'd appreciate knowing what issue it was in.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 7, 2006, 08:24 PM   #4
farmall

Capt Charlie, I haven't forgotten, just having one helluva time finding it.
Andy
Old February 7, 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

No problem, Andy! I appreciate you're looking!

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 7, 2006, 09:51 PM   #6
choochboost

There's a guy who shoots at my range who has one. Its a pretty interesting set-up. I'll ask him if I run into him. But hopefully Farmall's scavenger hunt will turn up something before that.
Old January 2, 2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm still looking for plans.

I have a good friend who works as a cabinet maker. He's volunteered to build it for me, IF I can find plans.

Anyone?

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 2, 2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Pahoo

Interesting post as my Step-Father use to make these for some cops in our town, years ago. I certainly do remember them and given your general description, should not be to hard to make. I think they held perhaps three or four handguns in a horizontal position. I remmender the scopes being a lot bigger than they are now and should be easier to accomote them now. I'm also a woodcrafter and make my own B/P loading stands and will have to come up with one of these for my use. Plans should not be a problem. One advantage that these gave was that when you lift the scope wing up, you had some wind protection. I don't see a need for any more that a three gun storage. ?? I do not rememebr what the internals of the drawer looked like. I have to believe that there are shooters our there that are still using some of these.
Be safe
Old January 2, 2008, 04:31 PM   #9
JTBarbour

Shooting Case

I think this is what you may be looking for:

Plans http://www.geocities.com/bn289/gunbox.pdf
Picture http://www.airguninfo.com/box.htm

Jason
Old January 2, 2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Pahoo

JTBarbour
Close enough for me and the ones I remember, mounted a spotting scope under the lift up wing. Would not need it for handguns but kind of neat for rifle shooting. Thanks for saving me some time and will post a picture when I get mine made. Be safe!!
Old January 2, 2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to TFL, Jason! That's very close to what I'm looking for, although I wish the plans were a little more detailed. Still, that'll be a big help .

Quote:
I have to believe that there are shooters our there that are still using some of these.
You'd think so, wouldn't you. They were really popular back when bullseye shooting was just about the only game in town, but with IDPA, PPC, etc. coming on scene, they seem to have gone by the wayside. Range bags are the way to go today, but you know how us old pharts are... die hards .

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 2, 2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Dang Charlie, I had one here about 4weeks ago I would have sent ya for postage.

WildretroAlaska ™
Old January 2, 2008, 06:09 PM   #13
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Story of my life, Ken... a day late & a dollar short .

But, if another one just happens to find its way into your shop....

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 2, 2008, 10:00 PM   #14
bfoster

Try this link for a better picture.

From the options on the left hand side of the page select "Accessories".

On the page that brings up select "Cases" at the top and scroll down about 3/4 of the page.

Bob

Last edited by bfoster; January 2, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:53 AM   #15
S_Mman

Bullseye Box

I would also like and blueprints on a box that anyone can find. I have been looking everywhere and was only able to find a Gung Ho box for about $130.

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:39 PM   #16
grymster2007

I have a friend with one.... well, I don't really have any friends , but I shoot with a guy that has one.

So did you ever find what you're looking for Charlie?

Kinda sounds like a fun project.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So did you ever find what you're looking for Charlie?
Matter of fact, I did! Actually, I had it custom made, but it was a bit pricey at $200.

I meant to put up pics here, but just haven't had time. Give me a couple of days and I'll post a few.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 14, 2009, 05:15 PM   #18
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Charlie
I had it custom made, but it was a bit pricey at $200.

Captain, sir, if your custom box is anything like the one in the picture on the Champion Shooters site, I'd say your cabinetmaker friend (or whoever) gave you a nice deal -- that seems like a pretty good price for a one-off. (I would've charged you more, but then mine would've had hand-cut dovetails... )

I hope you do post some pictures -- I'd like to see it.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:50 PM   #19
ltdave

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseye...FQENDQodzQwYqQ

they have them here in aluminum but theyre a bit pricey...

thats why I dont have one...
Old June 25, 2009, 10:44 AM   #20
S_Mman

Pistol Box

I wrote into the NRA pistol division and asked about blueprints for a pistol box. They were able to photocopy an old article from the 50's on how to build one. I built mine from those plans and it turned out real nice. I spent right around $100 for all materials.
Old November 13, 2009, 07:30 PM   #21
kayakingfool

Great Plans for Gunbox

I found these wonderful plans for a gunbox by Mr. Dick Flag. All he requires is that you use the se plans for PERSONAL use only.

"The only restriction that I have on the use of my drawings is that they are NOT be sold for commercial purposes. I am an amateur at bullseye and I do not want some individual trying to make money on something that someone offered free." - Dick Flagg (2006)

Here is the link:
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/gunboxdf.html

Good luck! I plan to try to build one for myself.