The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 31, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
4orty5ive

the BEST peep sight? (lever action)

i just bought a Puma 92 in .454 Casull with a 20" barrel (blued). I almost bought a Remington 700, but there is something irresistably charming about a lever action rifle (and I already have a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454). Anyway the new Winchester model 70 is coming out soon and maybe I'll take a look at that later if I still want a proper hunting rifle. Anyway, I am getting off topic so:

What are my options for peep sights? I've got 10 days to wait before picking it up and I figured I'd spend the time preparing for Day 1 at the range.

Is there a definative BEST? Or are different peep sights simply differences in preference? I am planning on using this gun for hunting and I want to push the limits of its accuracy. Granted it is a magnum pistol round I think 200 yards would be pushing it, maybe 100 yards is more realistic. I don't even know how accurate this rifle is out of the box, but I have read numerous forums stating that the factory sights (both hi-vis and non) leave something to be desired.

Can I install peep sights myself? Is there any drilling required?
-Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 4orty5ive; March 31, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 31, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
CraigC

I good peep is definitely more user friendly and more precise than factory open sights. I don't believe any of the 1892 replicas are D&T for anything but a tang sight and then only on some models. You definitely don't want one of those on anything with significant recoil. You'll need to have yours drilled and tapped for a receiver mounted peep. The Williams Foolproof and Lyman receiver sights are the best and most popular. They both feature click micrometer adjustments and each has its proponents. I like `em both.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3
yourotherleft

Montana vintage arms seems to look pretty good. But the prices is more than some other.
Old April 1, 2008, 02:04 PM   #4
OJ

I'm a big fan of Williams FP aperture receiver sights - I remove the aperture and have a "ghost ring" sight - just as acurate and faster on target.

FP GR on BL22 - I've corrected the tilt since - fits the grooves for tip-off scopes on rimfires - avoids D/T

FP 94-36 on Winchester 94 30-30 - no D/T needed

And - FP71 on Winchester 95 D/T required -

All precise and sturdy - I don't have any experience with Lymans but have never heard a bad word about them.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old April 1, 2008, 09:09 PM   #5
TPAW

I've used Williams for years. They make a good product.
Old April 1, 2008, 09:20 PM   #6
dmazur

I also put a Williams FP-71 on my Winchester 1895. It had holes for this model peep sight, so no D&T was necessary. However, I had to have the front sight changed to a ramp type.

You might check front sight height. It has to be high enough to work properly with the peep sight, which is usually higher than the factory rear sight.

Replacement front sights are available, and not very expensive. It can be a little challenging figuring out the correct height...
Old April 1, 2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Norrick

OJ that last pic is a beautiful one.
Old April 1, 2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Nexus_MkVII

cool
Old April 1, 2008, 11:37 PM   #9
OJ

[QUOTEYou might check front sight height. It has to be high enough to work properly with the peep sight, which is usually higher than the factory rear sight.
Replacement front sights are available, and not very expensive. It can be a little challenging figuring out the correct height... ][/QUOTE]

Quote:
OJ that last pic is a beautiful one.
Here's the whole rifle -

Thanks guys for the kind words - I did forget to mention that I did have to install front sights on all the rifles I put the Williams receiver sights on. I used blade sights from XS with the white stripe making them more visible in low light and like them enough I had forgotten that could be a negative for some.

On the BL22 -

On the 94 -

And on the 95 -

IIRC, there is a table in Brownells catalog (we do all have that, don't we?)
to calculate the front sight height - IIRC, I just estimated my way through - measured the existing sight and bought one a little taller and lucked out - we all know luck beats skill any day - right?
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; April 2, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old April 2, 2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Jack O'Conner

Williams sight is still made in USA. Lyman rec'd some bad reviews on the Midway website.

Jack
Old April 2, 2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Dave P

Skinner peep sight is much smaller than the williams or lyman. I like it.

Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Peep-sight-Marli...QQcmdZViewItem
Old April 2, 2008, 04:19 PM   #12
eastbank

i have a early lyman tang on my 1947 win model 64 in 30-30 and i realy like it. it has two apitures on it, you can flick the smaller one down out of the way with your finger nail to use the larger one. if i was to use a receiver mounted peep sight, i would buy a merit adjustable apiture. eastbank.
Old April 3, 2008, 05:01 PM   #13
hivel37

Check out the Marbles tang sight. They're steel and have windage adjustments which some tangs do not have.