The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1
margarita

Big bucks= Worth it?

Just wondering, in the world of holsters, do you get what you pay for? Is it best to invest in a good, expensive, reputible brand or do the cheap ones work just as well?
Old July 29, 2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Don H

I prefer leather holsters. I have found that a good, quality holster from someone such as Milt Sparks is much more comfortable and has infinitely better retention than an inexpensive cloth pouch. A quality belt designed to carry a gun is an indispensible part of the carry system (IWB or OWB); it will allow comfortable carry all day long, day after day.
Old July 29, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3
symr00

You get what you pay for in holsters and belts. The only exception I can see is for pocket holsters. The Uncle Mikes, Desantis and Mikas are very decent pocket holsters for under $20.
Old July 30, 2006, 08:10 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

money vs quality vs function

The ONLY 'cheap' holster I've been satisfied with is a bought-used-for-$5 Uncle Mikes Kydex Belt Holster for a 1911 I'd bought; had Bullseye sights on it and I needed a tall sight track.

I use it for IPSC; I have a Milt Sparks 1AT and a Galco Royal Guard for it, too.

I have belts from Hellweg, Biachi, and Hume.

I have three Sparks holsters.

I must say that I learned the hard way ($$$$) that cheap holsters do not meet the intended need, nor do they truly satisfy.
Spend the money....
Old August 2, 2006, 01:15 AM   #5
skeeter

I think Mitch Rosen's holsters are grossly over priced. Yes they are well made but so are many others for half the price. He return policy and customer service is the worse I have experienced. He would not take back an unused holster that I returned a couple of days after I bought it .. I felt the construction was way too bulky for concealed carry
Old August 2, 2006, 11:43 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I think Mitch Rosen's holsters are grossly over priced. Yes they are well made but so are many others for half the price
+1, yup.
Old August 2, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
margarita

I don't think I will be worrying about concealed carry yet (I spend my summers in rural mn- no real need to carry a handgun in a smalltown, and during the school yr I live in dorms- no guns allowed). Right now I am looking for a holster just to hold my gun while I tramp around the woods. I will probably be doing some practicing when I come home this fall.

Would a thigh holster work well? I was thinking hip, but then I thought about the fact that I may be wearing a jacket that makes a hip holster hard to access. Plus, I think the thigh holster looks kind of cool (yes, I know that statement probably destroyed any ounce of credibility I had gained, but I am a girl after all ).

Any brand recommendations for a thigh holster?
Old August 2, 2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Ken - Oh

Margarita,

There are excellent holsters, good holsters, okay holsters and bad holsters.

Somewhat, it depends on your needs. For occassional, open carry, a moderate holster may be all you need.

Sure, for the concealed carry folks who need to carry inside the waist band, putting more money into the holster may well be worthwhile.

For traipsing around the woods, something less expensive may work very well.

You might also check ebay, there are some decent holsters available there.

For your needs, something from Don Hume. Galco, Bianchi or something like that would likely meet your needs.

I don't have the answers, after a couple of months of ccw, I'm still trying to figure out which gun I want to carry and how I want to carry it. Maybe someday I'll have those answers and I'll be ready to spend $100 for a good holster.

Ken
Old August 2, 2006, 06:22 PM   #9
jhgreasemonkey

I like safari land holsters. And they fall in the cheeper range of around $50 bucks.
Old August 3, 2006, 02:26 AM   #10
skeeter

There is an old saying, " beware the one gun man" meaning he may not have a lot of guns but he really knows the one he has. I think the same thing applies to holsters. While a woods holster is OK why not get the holster you will use for serious carry and get "imprinted" to it. You will be surprised how drawing will be more natural , subconscious and quicker.
Old August 12, 2006, 08:08 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

point from the past

"Need"; you will not get to decide when you "need" a gun, even in your small town.

Fact.

(I live in a 'small town', so I wear small guns. Sometimes.)
Old August 12, 2006, 09:23 AM   #12
lefteye

price/quality

General "rule" = price and quality are reasonably consistent. BUT, there are certainly exceptions. Some of the mass-produced leather holsters are priced about the same as top-of-the-line leather. AND, I tend to agree with comments on Mitch Rosen holsters. I have a Mitch Rosen Express Line holster that sells for $5 less than my Milt Sparks 55BN, but is not even close to being similar quality.
Old August 17, 2006, 10:12 PM   #13
silicon wolverine

I guess im in the minorty for liking my cheap kydex holsters. I have a fobus for my G17 thats rode with me for about 3 years now with no trouble. I have cheap nylon holsters for open carry (sportsmans gudie) the only leather holster i have i picked up at a gunshow for a BHP i had at the time and while it fit me well, it was always squaky and noisy.

SW
Old August 18, 2006, 08:56 PM   #14
torrejon224

Absolutely!! You just cannot compare a $50 mass produced Galco, Don Hume ir Safariland to a Sparks, Alessi, Brommeland or Sherrick rig that was hand stitched and costs maybe $15 to $20 more however most people do not want to wait the three to six months it takes to get a true hand built holster. When they do they will immediately notice the difference and ask themself why they didn't do it sooner!
Old August 29, 2006, 12:03 PM   #15
raymond-

in the backyard of Bladetech and Kramer, is the monthly Washington Arms Collector
gunshow in Puyallup, WA...where I've seen factory blems selling for $10 to $35.
natch, i buy every one i can find for my handguns. toooo sweet.
Old September 1, 2006, 12:50 AM   #16
gunmetal

Some of Don Hume's holsters are quite good, and not too expensive.

I really enjoy my 715-M SOOT, and I've heard many good things about the JIT Slide (for you OWB folks) as well.

I do think for the most part, unfortunately, the more expensive ones are going to be better.. but that doesn't necessarily mean you should jump straight into an expensive one. It might be a good idea for you to get a cheaper one first and try various modes of carry, and then if you feel that holster isn't good enough, upgrade to a better-made one of similar design.
Old September 1, 2006, 01:36 AM   #17
mikel_holt

If you're looking for a woods holster

I personally wouldn't use anything but a flap style. They completely cover and protect the gun. That being said, you can never go wrong buying good quality leather. My favorite IWB is by a little one man custom shop here in Alabama. In OWB styles I like the classics by El Paso Saddlery or any old floral carved and laced rig such as a Heiser. Spend the money, you won't regret it.
Old September 4, 2006, 12:22 AM   #18
ClarkEMyers

You get what you pay for. It's possible to buy more than you need.

You get what you pay for at least in the sense that the differences are really there.

It's just as true that a less expensive holster may be all it takes for many purposes. An out of the box mil-spec Springfield in a moderately priced Kydex holster has the same terminal ballistics as the fanciest 1911 made in shark trimmed ostrich or what have you.