The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

View Poll Results: Vote for your Favorite 2009 Photo
January - IdahoG36 8 7.62%
February - Renny 13 12.38%
March - K-Loader 17 16.19%
April - Angus Lincoln 6 5.71%
May - Texas Armadillo 7 6.67%
June - ClemBert 8 7.62%
July - CraigC 4 3.81%
August - tater134 4 3.81%
September - ClemBert 1 0.95%
October - Malamute 32 30.48%
November - ClemBert 4 3.81%
December - Doogle 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 9, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

2009 Photo of the Year Contest

You've seen all the entries for 2009. You've voted for your favorites in each monthy contest. Here are the monthly winners, one of which will be the best photo of 2009!

January - IdahoG36

February - Renny

March - K-Loader

April - Angus Lincoln

May - Texas Armadillo

June - ClemBert
Old January 9, 2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

July - CraigC

August - tater134

September - ClemBert

October - Malamute

November - ClemBert

December - Doogle
Old January 17, 2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Sevens

I think all the photos are gorgeous, and better than any photo I've ever taken. In the end, I voted for the March photo by K-Loader. I'll be honest... I'm a pretty predictable guy. Because the quality of each of the shots is very high, I've got to look for other things to pare it down to a winner. So I first had to take the photos of the firearms I don't care much for out of the running.

I love pretty much all guns, but I love some less than others. So the single actions and the black powder pistol were among the first to drop. I also pulled the plug on the Desert Eagle because as much fun as it would be to own and shoot one of those, I've never found them attractive.

I liked the Garand photo, but not enough to keep it in the running. I thought the High Power was perhaps the finest looking firearm of all of them, but (for me), it clashed against the Christmas-y background and the fake plastic berries were the nail in the coffin. The AK didn't get a fair shot because I don't care for them a whole lot, but the smoothness of the photo made me give it a long hard look. In the end, I kicked it out of the running because of the oddball stuff on the right side of the picture. The box of dominoes made the decision for me. But I still go back to that photo as maybe my #2 pick because it looks so right and it almost makes me want to choose it even though I just don't care for AKs!

The lever gun photo was BY FAR the finest view of all else besides the subject, but I didn't vote for it either. My vote went to the Ruger pistol... perhaps because I have a KMK512 myself and I love it, but also because of the phenomenal capture of the muzzle blast. I think the human hand takes away from the photo a bit, but it's still my pick.

Now then... WHY did I write all this? I don't know... I felt like it. Seemed relevant and I wanted to share just a bit about what went through my head when I looked at each photo.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Dave85

I voted for tater134's submission from August. The subtle use of perspective and asymmetrical balance gives the picture an active feel. Also, the surface couldn't have been chosen better. It adds fantastic texture and establishes a cool background that emphasizes the contrast between the cool blue and the warm orange lighting. This lighting design imbues the otherwise utilitarian subject with a nostalgic elegance. This is a beautiful photo.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I went for Clem's June pic but Malamutes October pic was a close second! The 2 were both awesome but that gun on saddle leather over the GREATEST flag in the world sold me!
Brent
Old January 18, 2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Sodbuster

I was drawn to the very first pic, by IdahoG36. (1) I appreciate a good B&W photo. (2) I also like the use of reflection in a photo, be it through the use of a mirror, a lake, metal or whatever. (3) It's not a subject you see all the time. (4) And being somewhat a coin collector, it reminds me of the cameo look you see on brilliant proof coins: the dark background and bright device. Oh, yeah, I voted for it.

Sevens is right, the pics are all great. Nice job all.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 18, 2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Doogle

Difficult, but I chose K-Loaders Ruger photo...>

It's a well-done live action firing shot, and that isn't easy.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Skans

I went with March - K-loader.

All of these pictures are excelent! I had a tough time deciding between:

January, March, and December.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:47 AM   #9
goodspeed(TPF)

I voted October. That picture is just so cool. I think it says a whole lot without really doin all that much. Nice job. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 18, 2010, 11:50 AM   #10
rjrivero

Woah.

Not an easy decision. The big question is WHEN DOES THE FIRING LINE CALENDER COME OUT!!?!?!
Old January 18, 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
rbernie

All of them are really well done in one way or another, but January-February-March show (to me) a technical craftsmanship that is really neat and sets them apart.....
Old January 19, 2010, 09:05 AM   #12
J.Netto

I think all of the pictures are really good...

But I voted for the October picture, nice work Mal! Beautiful picture, absolutely beautiful.