The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
aerod1

The Perfect Press

I feel I have found the perfect press........ for me.
While at the Tulsa Gun Show last April I bought a "Lee Classic Cast Turret" press. I have since purchased all the accessories and loaded some rounds with it. It is not the most expensive, fastest nor does it carry the most prestige. However it is an inexpensive press that performs as advertised. I also have an inexpensive "Lee Reloader" single station press that also works very well. I can see no need for me to ever need another press. I don't shoot massive amounts of ammo, so if I can load a couple of hundred rounds in a setting, I am happy.
This press is not for everyone but for me......I'm happy with it.
My thanks to Lee for a very good product that seems to work as advertised for a reasonable price.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old June 30, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
amamnn

Lee and Co. make a lot of excellent equipment and in many cases it can truly be said that you can pay more but not get better than their products. That being said, there are a couple of things you might want to watch out for. I have the same press. Unless Lee changed something, the little hose that collects the primers can be knocked off easily. I bumped mine with my knee and had primers in the carpet. A small hose clamp was all that was needed to insure no repeat of that accident. Although the turret retaining system Lee uses is not prone to flex like other (IMHO inferior) turret presses, you do need to lube it from time to time. I put a light coating of gun grease on the inside of the retainer every other use and keep the top of the press covered to reduce the dust collected when not in use. As far as I know, there are no stainless steel Lee products. If you don't wipe down every unpainted metal surface, on every Lee product, rust will get you.

When considering the the combination of value and convenience, I don't think you can get a better press to make hunting or plinking rounds for factory rifles than the one you have. I don't think any press makes better handgun ammo for general use than it either.

I do have to add that I remain unimpressed with Lee's auto disk powder measure, even the "pro" version, that can be used with this press.
Old June 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #3
45Marlin carbine

haveing a tandem set-up is good, I like mine. I get a pistol shooting buddy over sometimes to run the 2nd press for seat/crimp - we can make some rounds in a couple hours.