The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 29, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1
rrruger

Carbine to go with my GP100?

Seeking your advice here.
I am interested in a carbine chambered in .357 to complement my GP100.
Can you speak to the best overall choices for Home Protection and options?
I am also interested in Stainless rather then blued.

Thank you for any input.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:59 AM   #2
smee78

I would look for a nice Marlin or older Rossi lever gun, I went looking for the same thing a few years ago and could not find a used Marlin but I did find a pre safety Rossi that fit the bill. I have had no problems with my Rossi and even found a 45LC pre safety Rossi to keep it company.You did not say what type of action you were looking for so I will also say that Ruger has the bolt action 357 out there as well. I handled one once and it was nice and smooth but the $700 price the store was asking was not going to do it for me. Good luck with your hunt.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Noreaster

I had a Puma 357 mag rifle with a 24 inch octo barrel. Not good for home defense but what a sweet rifle. Kick myself for trading it. You would be well served with a short barreled 357 mag rifle. If I remember correctly the 357 magnum starts to loose velocity after 18 inches of barrel length. The 357 magnum is a whole different cartridge when you increase the barrel length over ten or twelve inches.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Diesel9

Don't know what your intended use is but I went this route:

Ruger 77/357 and 4-inch Stainless GP 100

I love lever guns. Got a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt (and a New Vaquero to go with it), and a Winchester '94 .30-30. That being said, I got the above stainless combo because I think those two guns could stand up to extended use in adverse conditions and continue to function. My lever guns are good guns, but I don't think they'd like being out in the rain and mud for extended periods. I might still get a .357 lever gun anyway though (if I can ever find a nice one).
Old December 29, 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
RJM

That bolt action looks sweet. That is probably the way I would go but many people I know went with the Rossi lever actions. I have one buddy who has an Uberti 1873 carbine in .357 mag and it is a very nice rifle.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is the revolver forum, not the rifle forums. Please ask your question in the appropriate forum.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread