The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 27, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
fshfindr

Concealed Carry Permit

Who in NJ has a CC Permit? How did you get it? I will apply soon. I was told not to waste my time.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:53 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

I'm in the camp that didn't apply because I heard too many times it's a waste of time and money. There's a 2A thread somewhere on here about a NJ case being argued in federal court. By all means we'd be interested in hearing about your step by step progress....erm....stonewalling. You'll probably get laughed at by your local PD at the onset. Really.

I'm waiting to hear of a breakthrough in the current case, but I'll probably have moved back to PA before that happens.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

This is more of a legal question than an equipment question, so I'm shipping this one downstairs.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
motorhead0922

Sounds like a good subject for an exposé, like Emily Miller did in DC. Would you be willing to do that? Or know a journalist who would?
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old June 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
dakota.potts

I'd even be willing to ghost write such a thing if you went through the process and sent me the details.

I unfortunately have nothing to add as I live in the great state of Florida so I don't know how it is in New Jersey
Old June 28, 2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Don't waste your time.

You will be denied, and forever after when applications in other jurisdictions ask if you have ever been denied a permit you will have to answer "Yes."
Old June 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The NJ case is Piszczatoski v. Maenz. We are awaiting for a decision from the CA3. The TFL thread is here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434336
Old June 29, 2013, 06:49 AM   #8
press1280

I did apply a few years ago and got the canned response letter stating I had no "justifiable need". I too was told by the state police(where I had to apply as a non-resident) that I had no chance. Oddly a year or two after my denial they refunded me the application fee(which is only $20).
Your best bet is a restricted permit dealing with cash/valuables as part of your job. Even then its real tough. From what I can gather there are likely under 1000 civilian permits in NJ. Your odds are better in NYC than NJ for a full carry permit. In fact, a NJ resident (who worked in NYC and had a full carry permit there) was denied a carry permit for lack of justifiable need.

Oh but if you're a retired LEO then its a different story.