The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 19, 2001, 11:20 PM   #1
Juan Hunt Greer

Schmidt-Rubin ejection problems, Help!

A friend of mine has a 7.5x55 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin of the shorter of the two common barrel lengths. His problem is ejection- he just about doesn't have any! The ejector seems to be a pin in the left side of the receiver riding thru a groove in the bolt. It's there and apparently undamaged; the problem is that as the bolt brings the casing back, it is free to drop downward at least 1/16" and out from under the extractor. there is a rib of sorts on the underside of the bolt which prevents the cartridges below from exerting any lift from below. Please, Please, PLEASE, what am I missing???
Old July 20, 2001, 06:46 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Juan, sounds like the extractor needs adjusting. I can't recall the extractor on these nor can I find a picture of it to see what it might involve but basically you want to make it hold the shell tighter. George
Old July 20, 2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hum...

I used to have one of these rifles, and I seem to recall that the ejector is spring loaded.

When the bolt is withdrawn, the ejector pops up and punches the case out of the action.

If the spring is weak, or broken, the ejector won't pop up, and thus no ejection.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 21, 2001, 03:39 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are three basic types of Schmidt-Rubin, the Model 1889 (and a slightly shorter version called the 1896), the Model 1911, and the Model 1931. The first two (or three) use the pin in the left side; the K31 uses a spring loaded ejector that comes up from the bottom of the receiver.

For the ones with the fixed ejector (which it seems is the type under discussion), if the empty case is dropping down, the fault is in the extractor. The bolts have an edge all the way around to support the case rim and the extractor should hold the case back against the bolt face until it strikes the ejector.

I don't know what parts are available, but try www.gunpartscorp.com for an extractor. Be sure to specify the model. The 1889 has a long magazine with a lever to lower it as a "cut off". The Model 1911 has a magazine almost flush with the stock.

Jim
Old July 26, 2001, 11:46 PM   #5
Juan Hunt Greer

Thank You, Jim Keehan, for prompting me where to look; there is nothing wrong with the extractor, but it turned out that the previous owner, in trying to MAKE IT ACCEPT A DIFFERENT ROUND had " thoughtfully" ground off the supporting ring. ( I must say, though, he did a reasonably neat job, so that I didn't notice it at first). My friend is now ordering a new bolt center from Gun Parts Corp.again, thanx.
paranoia is really the only SANE outlook when about 50% of the U.S. Senate is out to get You!
Old July 27, 2001, 11:09 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Juan,

Glad to hear that the problem has been located.

However, before shooting the rifle with the new bolt installed, HEADSPACE MUST BE CHECKED!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 28, 2001, 10:00 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Juan,

Check to be sure that the rifle was not worked over in some other way for a different cartridge. Sometimes it can be dangerous to fire the original round in a reworked rifle.

Jim