The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Auto5

Pocket plinkers

I'm in the market for a pocket sized .22 fun gun. I like the size of the old .32 or .38 S&W break tops, but the ammo is expensive and my guns are too old for steady use. Most current compact .22 revolvers are the same size and width of their .38 Special counterparts. The Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper seems close to ideal, but they are selling for north of $500 in these parts. I toyed with the idea of converting a Pietta Pocket Remington, but by the time it's finished, I would end up in the same price range as the Ruger. Another thread mentioned the NAA Earl or Sheriff models. I especially like the .22lr/.22mag convertibles and I only need minute of soda can accuracy at 30 feet or so. Anyone have one of these? Anything else out there in the sub $400 range?
Old July 8, 2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Obambulate

The NAA minis are high quality and reasonably priced. The longer barreled models are suitable for plinking, though the small size & weight can make accurate shooting a challenge, since very small movements of the hand can translate to large movements of the muzzle.

That said, there are barrel lengths out to 6" and options for larger grips that make it easier to hold the gun steady. I think suitable models would be:

Sheriff (2.5")
Earl (3")
Earl (4")
Mini Master (4")
Earl (6")

The Black Widow (2") just misses the cut. You can plink with it, but it works better as a deep concealment weapon.
Old July 8, 2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

How about a Heritage Rough Rider 3 3/4" with birds head grips.
I have the full size model 6 1/2" and am very happy with it. The little birds head in on my short list.
http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/prod...-6-Rounds.html
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 10, 2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Auto5

Not having seen one up close, but judging by the weight on the spec sheet, I'm guessing that the Rough Rider is closer in size to the Ruger Single Six, than the Bearcat. It looks like a fun gun, but maybe outside of the "pocket" catagory.
Old July 10, 2014, 07:37 AM   #5
hammie

@auto5: Sometimes you get it right the first time. From your criteria, it seems like a ruger bearcat shopkeeper would be perfect. I know the economy is uncertain for all of us, but I would try to stretch my budget the additional 100$ for the shopkeeper. Plus the bearcat would last you a lifetime.

I know you posted this in the revolver section, but you didn't say that you were limiting your choices to revolvers. You may want to consider a ruger SR22. They're small, lightweight, decent shooters, have a ten round capacity, and seem to be available. In my area, the ruger SR22 is selling for around 325$. The Walther P22, might also be a candidate.

Personally, I'd still go for the bearcat.
Old July 10, 2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Auto5

hammie,
I agree on the bearcat, but the last one I saw was priced at $569.00, almost double the price of the NAA. That's just a bit too steep for a casual plinker. I have an older P22 that works just fine, but I'm looking for a revolver to shoot up some of my bulk .22 ammo that my autos don't care for.
Old July 10, 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Buds has them starting at $440 with free shipping. And they have a very nice 3" model at just under $500; kind of looks to me like what you are possibly looking for.

Gunbroker has a number in the $200-$300 range - biddingwise.

Now, go figure...
Old July 10, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
hammie

Well...there is the charter arms pathfinder. I think they're around 350$. The problem may be availability. I haven't seen a lot of new charter arms revolvers on the dealer's shelves, at least in arizona. It may be different in texas.

However, of the charter arms models, I always liked the older pathfinder with the 3 inch barrel, adjustable sights, and small wooden grips. Of course, they're long out of production and I haven't seen a used one for a long time either. I thought they were the ultimate tackle box gun.