The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
elwopo

Optics suggestions...dots in particular

Hi.
New to ARs, but loving every minute of it. So be prepared for lots of "stupid" questions.

I just got a new one and want to set it up as a CQB style. Looking for a dot sight option (reflex or tube) that actually works well in high light situations such as outside in the FL sun.
I've made the mistake of getting TruGlow and other things in the $60-$100 range for my pistols and while they seem great inside.....worthless outside.
I know I'll have to spend coin to get good....but don't want to "experiment" with optics that cost several hundred. I don't mind my TruGlow POS sitting in a drawer at $60....but doing the same with something expensive would really suck.

So I'm reaching out and hoping to get the benefit of some experience.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
VegaSSG32

I have 2 ARs, Echotech on one, and a 3x Acog on the other... Both work great. But both are pricey...
Old February 21, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
TexasJim

I have had very good luck with my Aimpoint Comp M4, no regrets on the purchase. The battery lasts forever, my current one is going on 2 years.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
alex0535

My Burris Fastfire III with 3 moa red dot has automatic brightness adjustment and functions well in very dark to very bright conditions. It also has high, medium, and low brightness settings. The automatic setting works well in my experience with it.

It weighs hardly anything. I can't say how long the batteries last because I haven't burned out the one that came with it, I don't expect to need to change it for at least another 8 months to more than a year from now. It is waterproof enough to be submersible.

I can't think of anything about it that I don't like. It will be on the deer rifle next deer season. We think it is the perfect optic for how the deer around here appear out of the woods 20-60 yards away. It is currently on my Henry .22, and we shoot squirrels with it.

I managed to get a good deal on mine for $220 after searching around the internet. Usually they are around $250. For the price, I do not regret the purchase at all. It is a versatile optic that in my opinion has a place on everything from a handgun to a deer rifle.

Last edited by alex0535; February 22, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

EO Tech, Brownells...

I'd check the EO tech or Trijicon www.trijicon.com styles.
They are popular with SWAT, spec ops, armed citizens.
A front or fore-grip with a green laser aimer & white light is slick too; www.crimsontrace.com www.sigsauer.com .
There are many add-ons & after market sights or parts for the M4s and AR rifles.
Brownells; www.brownells.com has a product catalog of just AR rifle stuff.
Here are a few other top brands; www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.actiongear.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.qmuniforms.com .
Mag-Pul is highly rated for AR type magazines. HK's newer style AR mag is good but they are rare & the price may be sky-high now(2013).
Clyde
Old February 23, 2013, 12:03 AM   #6
KO3422

Aimpoint, EOtech, Trijicon....just to name a few.

Basically, you'll be spending $400 on up to get a good red dot. New or used. I'd say you could score a T-1 for $500 or so.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:59 PM   #7
alex0535

Today is a very bright day and the weather is nice so I went outside and shot a few subsonic .22 shorts out of the Henry using my Burris Fastfire III. Took a few shots to figure out where to hold at 40 yards because my target was small, a piece of tape covering a tab on a beer can. Took a couple breaths, squeezed the trigger and the can gently tipped over. I mainly wanted to hit it, but I surprised myself by sending the bullet through the top loop without damaging the tab in any way.

I was shooting in full sun. The dot was very visible, if anything shooting in bright sunlight makes the dot finer and easier to make precise shots with.

Old February 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #8
jmr40

No it ain't quite in the same league as the Aimpoints and Eotechs. But I've been very impressed with the $200 Vortex SPARC. I know the others are better, but it is the cheapest version I'd recommend. I have no trouble in full daylight and the 2 MOA dot is fine enough for decent accuacy out to at least 100 yards.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9
dalegribble

vortexx strikefire, nuff said, check it online.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Mauser8mm

Vortex

Vortex Strikefire- $229
Vortex Sparc- $289
Vortex Razor- $599

These are just the MSRPs. You can usually find them for much cheaper.